Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delays tonight in ATL (6JUL)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2008, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8130/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Anyone know what was going on with delays at ATL tonight? It appeared that about 80% of all flights were delayed by 90 min or more. Mine (DL139) was delayed by more than 4 hours. The weather wasn't bad at ATL - just isolated showers and none over the airport. It must have been some kind of operational issue. Anyone know? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by AndrewC75; Jul 6, 2008 at 9:12 pm
Old Jul 6, 2008, 10:07 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
Maybe the crews were watching the Braves game that went deep into extra innings.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 10:20 pm
VIB

Originally Posted by AndrewC75
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8130/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Anyone know what was going on with delays at ATL tonight? It appeared that about 80% of all flights were delayed by 90 min or more. Mine (DL139) was delayed by more than 4 hours. The weather wasn't bad at ATL - just isolated showers and none over the airport. It must have been some kind of operational issue. Anyone know? Thanks in advance.
Well, it doesn't seem to be just a Delta issue, if that's any consolation.

According to www.flightstats.com, there are loads of flights on every carrier delayed by 2-3 hours during the 6 - 9 PM time slot.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Lots of storms up and down the East Coast. Doesn't help that it was a holiday weekend.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 10:58 pm

One of the LAX flights took a 7 hour delay!

Multiple 9XXX flights inbound (JFK, DFW) with 2am+ arrival times! Multiple diversions and cancellations.

Bad day for ops it looks like!

Even the TLV 777 is 1+ hr late outbound (for seemingly no reason as ICN, NRT and PVG all were in around on time).
Old Jul 6, 2008, 11:06 pm

Indeed a rough night in ATL and up and down the east coast. Real rough.

By 5pm ATL time, there were already 29 mainline diversions due to WX. Once the line of storms passed through, it took many hours for the ATL operation to catch-up, and there were still many storms all up and down the busy est coast, so many of the planes coming down from EWR/JFK/LGA/PHL/DCA/IAD/BOS were all delayed as well.

It'll be a slow recovery tomorrow AM. Expect many crew delays averaging well over 1 hour at the minimum end of the spectrum and some extending to 2-3 hour range depending on when the crews got into their night layover spots.

-b-
Old Jul 6, 2008, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by DLBeno
Indeed a rough night in ATL and up and down the east coast. Real rough.

By 5pm ATL time, there were already 29 mainline diversions due to WX. Once the line of storms passed through, it took many hours for the ATL operation to catch-up, and there were still many storms all up and down the busy est coast, so many of the planes coming down from EWR/JFK/LGA/PHL/DCA/IAD/BOS were all delayed as well.

It'll be a slow recovery tomorrow AM. Expect many crew delays averaging well over 1 hour at the minimum end of the spectrum and some extending to 2-3 hour range depending on when the crews got into their night layover spots.

-b-
Wonder why they had the multiple 9XXX flights?
Old Jul 7, 2008, 1:20 am

Programs: Delta frequent flyer Gold Medallion Status
Our daughter checked in at the airport at 6:15pm for a 7:30pm one hour flight to Atlanta. The flight was delayed four times. She finally left at 10:25pm, and if it had been another five minutes the crew would have timed out and she would not have been able to get there until morning.

She said that when she arrived in Atlanta it was complete chaos. Everyone she talked with said that the delays were weather related and that there had been tornado warnings in the Atlanta area.

Daughter got into her home at 1:25 am. She could have driven and arrived two hours earlier. GA was, however, very nice and gave her FC upgrade.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 5:22 am

Ahh, so this might explain why Mr Kimslie's PHX-ATL this morning is 3+ hour delayed? The crew may have arrived so late as to not have gotten their required layover/rest time?

I love this board!

Kim
Old Jul 7, 2008, 5:30 am

Programs: DL GM
Explains why my 10:30am flight was cancelled to 5:10pm tonight. Ugh. Thanks to FT, I know why.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by GivenRandy
Explains why my 10:30am flight was cancelled to 5:10pm tonight. Ugh. Thanks to FT, I know why.
Actually, at ATL now, crowds are normal for a Monday morning. Security lanes actually seemed light. The boards show mostly on-time departures this morning.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by WBurcham
Wonder why they had the multiple 9XXX flights?
Those flight numbers are used as "stubs" and as charter flight numbers, or even pseudo-flight numbers for test operations.

Last night's events necessitated the use of 9xxx numbers.

For example, say flight DL1456 operates DCA-ATL-TPA. Flight from DCA-ATL is delayed 2 hours. They have extra equipment and crew in ATL; they "stub" in the ATL-TPA segment to operate on-time (or close to on-time) as DL 9457 ATL-TPA to mitigate the effect down line and system wide. So at least the ATL-TPA leg is on-time.

Sort of like accounting...

-b-
Old Jul 7, 2008, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by kimslie
Ahh, so this might explain why Mr Kimslie's PHX-ATL this morning is 3+ hour delayed? The crew may have arrived so late as to not have gotten their required layover/rest time?

I love this board!

Kim
51 crew rest delays for start-up this morning, 16 of which are longer than 1 hour. Looks like the delay on your husband's flight is 3 hours and 20 minutes; the inbound 763 last night was 5 or so hours late getting into PHX (got in at 12:33am, skd: 7:35pm).

-b-

Last edited by DLBeno; Jul 7, 2008 at 6:08 am
Old Jul 7, 2008, 7:07 am

Thanks!

Originally Posted by DLBeno
51 crew rest delays for start-up this morning, 16 of which are longer than 1 hour. Looks like the delay on your husband's flight is 3 hours and 20 minutes; the inbound 763 last night was 5 or so hours late getting into PHX (got in at 12:33am, skd: 7:35pm).

-b-
You rock! It actually helps (for lack of a better word) to know why things are.

Now wish me luck for my flights with the kiddos Wednesday... Thankfully they are 10 & 11, so they travel well... but I still hope for a smooth day.

Kim
Old Jul 7, 2008, 7:24 am

Programs: DL FC, NW
Most ATL DL morning flights seem to be OK with only a few delays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.