Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Ships 1 Mil In Cargo Frm PVG 1st 2weeks

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2008, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
Delta Ships 1 Mil In Cargo Frm PVG 1st 2weeks

Good day all.

Saw this on a.net about Delta shipping over $1 million in revenue cargo on their new ATL-PVG route, supposedly $120k in one flight.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...n/3932778/1/#1

Supposedly it was posted on the Delta employee website, might be released to the public later.

Mo' money, less problems.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 1:43 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
This would seem to me to be a very good cargo performance, although I don't profess to know a thing about cargo.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, in its article on the inaugural flight, said the trip ATL-PVG burns 34,000 gallons of fuel (presumably they got this figure from Delta). At $3.50 per gallon, that's a cost of $119,000 for fuel to make the run. It would seem like any time the cargo is paying the fuel expense, it would be much easier to make the flight work.

This also brings up a point for those (mostly on a.net) who forcefully argue against the prospects of other long haul, or ultra long haul, routes from ATL (ATL-SYD comes to mind). If the cargo traffic is there, you don't have to have jampacked passenger cabins from the beginning to sustain the flight, so it gives you some breathing room to build the passenger volume. (I'm not claiming ATL-SYD would work, and I have no idea about cargo traffic from Australia, but it does point out that it's about more than simply how many passengers you can carry).
Old Apr 14, 2008, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
If the cargo traffic is there, you don't have to have jampacked passenger cabins from the beginning to sustain the flight, so it gives you some breathing room to build the passenger volume. (I'm not claiming ATL-SYD would work, and I have no idea about cargo traffic from Australia, but it does point out that it's about more than simply how many passengers you can carry).
Well said.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Robert Leach

This also brings up a point for those (mostly on a.net) who forcefully argue against the prospects of other long haul, or ultra long haul, routes from ATL (ATL-SYD comes to mind). If the cargo traffic is there, you don't have to have jampacked passenger cabins from the beginning to sustain the flight, so it gives you some breathing room to build the passenger volume. (I'm not claiming ATL-SYD would work, and I have no idea about cargo traffic from Australia, but it does point out that it's about more than simply how many passengers you can carry).
According to cargo world, there is more cargo traffic from US to Australia, but very little Australia-US. And there are many only-cargo airlines (China Air Cargo, Cathay Pacific Cargo, Polar Cargo) that fly China-ATL with a stop in Anchorage. So China-ATL nonstop would be great for critical freight, which I'm sure there is no shortage of.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 5:54 am
fomerly CoachBoy

Programs: United Premier Platinum, British Airways Silver
With the addition of 77L's to the fleet, and the fleet of 747F's DL has just acquired with NW, lets hope we see an increased emphasis on cargo ops, as they are a real money maker.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 7:42 am

Programs: DL FC, NW
Originally Posted by CoachBoy
With the addition of 77L's to the fleet, and the fleet of 747F's DL has just acquired with NW, lets hope we see an increased emphasis on cargo ops, as they are a real money maker.
Maybe the new DL will convert those 747's to cargo only ships now that they have Asia.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by USCGamecock
Maybe the new DL will convert those 747's to cargo only ships now that they have Asia.
IIRC, they dumped the Pan Am 747s after that acquisition, but the map looks different now. It will be interesting to see.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Yeah, but all of the NWA 747F are classics: 747-200F. So they are pretty old, but cargo is a cash cow for airlines -- look how FedEx and UPS are making profits. Today on CNBC the CEO of Delta and (old?) Northwest were interviewed together. One of the benefits they said of the deal is that they can modernize thier fleet and perhaps get rid of planes that aren't efficient. Wonder if those classic 747s are included?

- Jake
Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:05 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by GoSpurs
IIRC, they dumped the Pan Am 747s after that acquisition, but the map looks different now. It will be interesting to see.
Delta actually did not take any of Pan Am's 747s in 1991 - only the Airbus A310s and the 727-200s; the 747s and A300s were left with the scaled-down-MIA-based Pan Am...

With the addition of 77L's to the fleet, and the fleet of 747F's DL has just acquired with NW, lets hope we see an increased emphasis on cargo ops, as they are a real money maker..
From what I've heard, NW's all-cargo ops have not been doing too well (or at least not as well as it had been doing previously) recently...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.