Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2008 Double MQM Promo

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:03 am

Programs: DL GM
So, assuming this promo will become valid, it is clear that DL tries to dupe us with all of the fees by making everyone and their mother a GM/PM....come on, double MQM for all flights for 3 whole months?????

Now, the other crappy thing, is that most of us book travel 2-4 months in advance, and it appears we may miss out as this is for travel booked after March 31 only?

This promo, if able to apply to my flights already purchased to fly 4/1-6/31, would easily renew my PM for next year (and then allow me to start earning status on US as they fly direct routes to where I go most often, uggh)
Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
So now all one has to do to make PM is to fly 25K miles in M+ in 3 months? 2 RTs to NRT for about $3K and you're done. That's assuming you have zero other flying or non-flying MQMs. Unreal. But undoubtedly great news for the infrequent-flyer elites.

I'm almost tempted to do it just for kicks, but (at least for me), PM status and the SkyMiles program have little appeal left.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:51 am

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
Originally Posted by vasantn
2 RTs to NRT for about $3K and you're done.
At 4 cpm, that's not a bad MR! Especially if Z is available.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Say hello to the hordes of Plat Lites who soon will be competing for your upgrades. UA did this 2 or 3 years ago, and NW was dumb enough to up the ante. It grossly inflated our elite ranks for the next year and a half.

I suspect Delta is beginning to feel some backlash from its revenue management practices (pricing high far out) and anticipating more backlash when it sandbags customers with all the fee increases on April Fools Day.

Delta is beginning to look like a desperate airline on its way out & down.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

incredible!
Really cheapens E+ status.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 11:56 am

The hard thing is many companies, including mine, require booking through the company travel website (American Express in my case).
Old Mar 30, 2008, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Maybe there will be some restrictions? Like only flying out of certain airports or something.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 12:19 pm

This is really a desperate promo to run. NW only ran it once and that was in the midst of the mechanics strike.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 4:17 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

DL has run blanket 2x MQM promos before - in 2001 and 2002 IIRC.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by peteropny
DL has run blanket 2x MQM promos before - in 2001 and 2002 IIRC.
Yes, but I think they were called base miles then, I don't believe there was a multiplier, and you needed 100,000 of them.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 4:31 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by vasantn
Yes, but I think they were called base miles then, I don't believe there was a multiplier, and you needed 100,000 of them.
Yes - correct - and those were the prior 2 times (years) that I got to PM - and am again this year.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 5:37 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by safigan
Maybe worth cancelling and rebooking? Would be a lot cheaper than earning MQMs by buying Skymiles.
And easier since you can't earn MQMs by buying SkyMiles. You can earn MQMs buy flying, promos such as this, and using the DL Amex ($25K/$50K spending thresholds).
Old Mar 30, 2008, 5:57 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
If, as was stated, "infrequent flyers" attain a status which they otherwise would not have attained, it won't affect other elites that much. If they are infrequent flyers, they won't be competing very often for upgrades.

My guess is that it will make gold/silver medallions be able to bump up to the next level.

John
Old Mar 30, 2008, 6:22 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by fti
If, as was stated, "infrequent flyers" attain a status which they otherwise would not have attained, it won't affect other elites that much. If they are infrequent flyers, they won't be competing very often for upgrades.

My guess is that it will make gold/silver medallions be able to bump up to the next level.

John
fti makes a lot of sense here. Those that earn their MQMs via butt-in-seat miles are the ones with whom I am competing for upgrades. So the butt to my left and the butt to my right at the gate are the Medallions with which I am concerned. The butt at home basking in his/her glory of being Medallion for their vacation in 3 months is not really worrying me.

However, this promo could bring some heavy-hitting fliers away from their status on UA, US, CO, etc (okay, well maybe not CO). If they jump on DL then I would be competing with their butts. Many FTers active on the US forum are claiming that they are defecting from US. If I were a fed-up US flier this promo would pique my interest.

I can't say that I wouldn't consider defecting to AA if they had a promo such as this. Maybe they do. I don't visit that forum often. AA still has non-stop FLL-LAX flights. This crushed me when DL abandoned that route. Now DL is getting rid of FLL>LAS non-stops as well. OUCH. If I didn't have to start from scratch on AA I would seriously consider defecting from DL.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, CRC; Hilton and Marriott Gold
Given I am planning to make 20k mqm of purchases in the next two weeks, I loathe to ask this...

Is there any chance this is an April fool's joke?

Bob

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.