Life Before T

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2008, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM/MM
Life Before T

MikeM said in a different thread, speaking of ATL:
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
There are six concourses, alphabetically ordered except that the first one is "T": T-A-B-C-D-E
Got me thinking and I cannot recall what was at the end of the main terminal before they put in the gates and renamed the area the T concourse. Can anyone refresh my memory?

(And I do remember the 'old' terminal on the north side of the field before the current, and 'new' terminal was built.)
Old Mar 27, 2008, 7:32 am

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Well, if memory serves, the "T" gates were orignally built to be the international gates. This was more or less moved to "E" when "E" was built, and "T" became a mish-mash of various airlines. "T" is very convienient - you can walk there from the lobby without having to go through tunnels or the tram.

Billy
Old Mar 27, 2008, 8:00 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
Though the gate numbering is opposite that of the other terminals!
Old Mar 27, 2008, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by DL Platinum
Though the gate numbering is opposite that of the other terminals!
That's because originally only the "low" T gates existed. The "high" T gates were built just before the '96 Olympics. Does the numbering of the T gates really make you sad?
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM/MM
Ah, thanks, I remember it being the "international terminal" now. But do I also remember that initially thoe gates were not in the T series? They may have been I or something?
Old Mar 27, 2008, 12:46 pm

Programs: DL DM
The first time I flew from a T gate (right after it opened) I was a bit rattled, as I was on my way to Dallas to take a three day professional examination. I planned to park in Park-Ride, but because my bag was heavy (with books) I checked it curbside before parking. I got my boarding pass and directions to my gate in the new, cool T terminal, and proceeded there directly, with plenty of time before my flight. Very convenient.

Of course, it would have been a lot more convenient if I'd actually parked my car before strolling to the T-gates. I didn't realize my error until I was already in Dallas, and my car had been towed to the Atlanta impound lot. My husband really enjoyed going to retrieve it.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
The wonderful thing about the old international gates (btw, they were not "T" gates at that time) is that, if you terminated in Atlanta, you did not have to go through security again. With the prospective new international terminal, we will again have that option. The old configuration was Int-A-B-C-D. They added E and changed the Int to T (for "terminal").

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.