Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

AMEX Plat Companion Tickets NOT Eligible For UG's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Plat Companion Tickets NOT Eligible For UG's

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2008, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Thumbs down AMEX Plat Companion Tickets NOT Eligible For UG's

Not sure if this should be posted in the AMEX MR forum, so mods, move this thread accordingly if you feel the need to.

I had purchased a ticket via the Amex Platinum (regular, not Delta Amex) companion airfare program a few weeks ago. I was told both on here, and by Amex and Delta that these tickets were eligible for upgrades. Additionally, on DL.com I was allowed to put in an upgrade request for this reservation. Now however, it says not eligible. I called up and the reservation agent said that because it was a "bulk ticket" it isn't eligible for upgrades. This really seems like a case of false advertising to me. And what's worse is that they won't even let me cancel and rebook the ticket through Delta. STUPID DL customer service at its best. I think I am going to challenge this through Amex though.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 11:35 am

Programs: DL GM
You are an FO, right? So your chance of upgrades as slim anyway. The DL AMEX experience is 50/50. They book it nonupgradeable, but you can call DL SMS can some agents with change it. Just keep trying until you find the one who does.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 11:38 am
Original Poster

It's LGA-PBI in July, so my upgrade chances are as good as if I were an EP
Old Mar 22, 2008, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by DL4EVR
I had purchased a ticket via the Amex Platinum (regular, not Delta Amex) companion airfare program a few weeks ago. I was told both on here, and by Amex and Delta that these tickets were eligible for upgrades. Additionally, on DL.com I was allowed to put in an upgrade request for this reservation. Now however, it says not eligible. I called up and the reservation agent said that because it was a "bulk ticket" it isn't eligible for upgrades. This really seems like a case of false advertising to me. And what's worse is that they won't even let me cancel and rebook the ticket through Delta. STUPID DL customer service at its best. I think I am going to challenge this through Amex though.
I would challenge Amex on their T&Cs since they sold you a bulk ticket.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 3:54 pm

I'm curious what fare class your tickets from AMEX booked into?
Old Mar 22, 2008, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yeah what are the fare bucket letters of your two tickets?
Old Mar 22, 2008, 9:35 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Read the fine print on the back of the cert. Those are the T&C. What was told on the phone does not matter other to complain about being mislead and they need to train their employees better. Especially because at this point there is harm no foul (i.e. they did not give the upgrade and then take it a way).
Old Mar 22, 2008, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Read the fine print on the back of the cert. Those are the T&C. What was told on the phone does not matter other to complain about being mislead and they need to train their employees better. Especially because at this point there is harm no foul (i.e. they did not give the upgrade and then take it a way).
OP is talking about the "regular" Platinum Amex program. If I recall correctly, there is no actual "certificate" with fine print.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
OP is talking about the "regular" Platinum Amex program. If I recall correctly, there is no actual "certificate" with fine print.
Yes you are correct. No certificates, and on amex's website it says that tickets should be treated just like paid tickets. They booked into U class.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 9:37 am

Yes you are correct. No certificates, and on amex's website it says that tickets should be treated just like paid tickets.
Here's the FAQs for the AMEX Platinum Domestic Companion Airfare Program.

Q: Will my elite status still be honored by the airline (i.e., accelerated mileage, free upgrades, priority line, etc.)?

A: While we are not able to confirm or book upgrades or ensure frequent flier mile accrual, in most cases, the airlines will honor upgrades and provide mileage accruals just as if you had booked through any other provider. For example, if you have elite status on an airline and have upgrades available in your account, the airline will likely honor your upgrades. However, we cannot guarantee upgrades and frequent flyer miles accruals on any bookings made with this program. Please contact the airline with any specific questions or concerns.

Additionally, here's an excerpt from the lengthy AMEX Ts&Cs:

This travel award may not be combined with or applied to other certificates, promotions or special offers, including, but not limited to; upgrades, government fares, tour/travel packages, group, convention/company meetings fares, bereavement, companion fares, senior citizen discounts, corporate agreements, student fares, child fares, travel industry discounts, internet fares, frequent flyer programs or any unpublished programs. Travel awards are non-transferable and void if altered. Travel awards are non-refundable and will not be replaced if expired, lost, stolen or destroyed. Frequent flyer mileage accrual may not be applicable.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:08 am

Programs: DL DM MM; HH Diamond; Starwood Plat, Lifetime Gold; Hertz President's Circle
Yes you are correct. No certificates, and on amex's website it says that tickets should be treated just like paid tickets. They booked into U class.
I have done this with my Plat Amex several times, and have been booked into K class, and my companion and I both cleared for the upgrades. But, being booked into U would not allow your companion to be upgraded, and also make your chances for an upgrade as an FO on a U very slim.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wjudge
I have done this with my Plat Amex several times, and have been booked into K class, and my companion and I both cleared for the upgrades. But, being booked into U would not allow your companion to be upgraded, and also make your chances for an upgrade as an FO on a U very slim.
Ah yes, that might be the problem.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Ah yes, that might be the problem.
Under normal circumstances, it might be, but the other travler is actually a PM!! Anyway, I called up AMEX, and I challenged the charge. It was agreed that a full refund is in order
Old Mar 24, 2008, 9:24 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Priority Club, Hhonors
Based on the T&C, I assume you don't get MQM's for the trip, but thought I would see what others have experienced.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 9:34 am

Programs: DL DM MM; HH Diamond; Starwood Plat, Lifetime Gold; Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by bigdel1
Based on the T&C, I assume you don't get MQM's for the trip, but thought I would see what others have experienced.
Yes, actually you and your companion do receive MQM's for the flights. I think it depends on what fare bucket you are booked into to be eligible for upgrades. As I stated previously, I was booked into K each time, so we were eligible for the upgrades. If the OP was booked into K or higher, the OP and companion would have been eligible also, SM status being a moot point. The companion program has been a good deal, and I am surprised that Amex refunded the OP because he couldn't upgrade his tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.