Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta SkyMiles Booking Changes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2008, 6:30 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Diamond, *wood plat, UA 1kc
Originally Posted by vasantn
For anyone who thinks the current DL management cares, I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale. The spirit of Leo Mullin has been resurrected.
Amen. Nearly all the recent changes to Sky Miles and other facets of travel on Delta seem to have been surgically targeted at pissing off high revenue passengers. Great strategy.

As for this particular enhancement; I guess I wouldn't care so much if the online tool actually worked all the time. It would also be nice if the promised ability to search AF/KLM and other partners would be delivered. However, I really just want DL to concentrate on having the existing website capability functional and reliable. From my perspective, it is neither and I am being asked to either pay for this neglect in booking fees or be connected to the insufferable Indian IT support desk...
Old Mar 18, 2008, 7:25 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Air Brian
Amen. Nearly all the recent changes to Sky Miles and other facets of travel on Delta seem to have been surgically targeted at pissing off high revenue passengers. Great strategy.
Maybe they took a lesson from US Air.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 8:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by yngdiego
I mean come on Delta...killing the 48 hour hold is not a show stopper ...
For those who may need to redeem hotel points as well in conjunction with redemption of SkyMiles for flights, the holds being eliminated can be a show stopper.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 8:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
For anyone who thinks the current DL management cares, I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale. The spirit of Leo Mullin has been resurrected.
The signs have been there for quite some time that Leo Mullins' spirit is on the move inside Delta; this is just another sign.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 8:55 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
Last night I called SMS to clean up some schedule changes. One award PNR had me waitlisted on an international segment. I asked the agent if she knew about the award booking policy and no waistlist policy. She indicated, as we know, they can no longer hold award tickets. BUT, she said that waitlisting award segments is still perfectly acceptable.

I'm not sure if she's confused, or the no-waistlist rule was just a rumor that didn't pan out?
Old Mar 19, 2008, 9:29 am

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
You are right, unfortunately, and that's too bad. Just when DL begins to look like the DL I used to know, they bring in top-level management from outside like they did with Mullin. One of the things that made DL such a fine airline before Mullin was they promoted from within. I don't think there were employees more loyal to their company DL employees back in the day.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 2:16 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by yngdiego
Last night I called SMS to clean up some schedule changes. One award PNR had me waitlisted on an international segment. I asked the agent if she knew about the award booking policy and no waistlist policy. She indicated, as we know, they can no longer hold award tickets. BUT, she said that waitlisting award segments is still perfectly acceptable.

I'm not sure if she's confused, or the no-waistlist rule was just a rumor that didn't pan out?
I think that "no waitlist" was a misinterpretation of the actual changes. Far as I can tell, waitlisting will still be ok. Anyone experience anything different?
Old Mar 19, 2008, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
"Makes you wonder what's next" (E-mail from DL)

Wow... I just got this e-mail from Delta. Nothing earth shattering, but I just had to laugh at a couple sentences:

MAKES YOU WONDER WHAT'S NEXT

You just want to get there. We know. That's why we're on a mission to make Award Travel shopping on delta.com easier than ever.

So what's next? We've made it possible to shop for Award Travel on Continental Airlines®, Northwest Airlines®, Hawaiian Airlines and Alaska Airlines using our SkyMiles® Award Calendar at delta.com. Search for Award seats by what matters most to you—lowest mileage amount or convenient schedule.

Click don't call, as our Reservation agents no longer hold Award Tickets. But if you're not 100% sure of your travel plans, you can hold an Award Ticket for up to 48 hours at delta.com. Plus, you can cancel unused Award Tickets for past and future travel.*

And remember, you'll avoid direct ticketing fees and potential long wait times when you book at delta.com. With the same access to availability as our Reservation agents, you'll always catch the best Award seats.

Who knows what we'll think of next?

You're the reason we fly,
J. W. Robertson
Managing Director, SkyMiles

Like I said, nothing new here, but I laughed out loud... especially on that last one!

What WILL you think up next, Jeff? Some more "givebacks?"
Old Mar 19, 2008, 2:35 pm
Original Member

Maybe we wouldn't have to call if, when the award calendar shows SkySaver award availability, we could actually click on one of those dates and it would show us a SkySaver flight available.

Has happened more times than I can count. And lo and behold, when I call the agent, the agent can get me a SkySaver seat (as shown on the calendar), but the online function won't give it to me.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't want to know what's next. It won't be good for me, so I'd rather not find out
Old Mar 19, 2008, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL PM
Because they are planning on reducing staff and this way they can free up call center employees from dealing with award tickets, or am I off base?
Old Mar 19, 2008, 2:46 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

this is the text of the e-mail that i just received:

You just want to get there. We know. That's why we're on a mission to make Award Travel shopping on delta.com easier than ever.

So what's next? We've made it possible to shop for Award Travel on Continental Airlines®, Northwest Airlines®, Hawaiian Airlines and Alaska Airlines using our SkyMiles® Award Calendar at delta.com. Search for Award seats by what matters most to you—lowest mileage amount or convenient schedule.

Click don't call, as our Reservation agents no longer hold Award Tickets. But if you're not 100% sure of your travel plans, you can hold an Award Ticket for up to 48 hours at delta.com. Plus, you can cancel unused Award Tickets for past and future travel.*

And remember, you'll avoid direct ticketing fees and potential long wait times when you book at delta.com. With the same access to availability as our Reservation agents, you'll always catch the best Award seats.

Who knows what we'll think of next?

You're the reason we fly,

J. W. Robertson
Managing Director, SkyMiles
Old Mar 19, 2008, 2:49 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Lucky for me I can still cancel since I'm a PM. So it's just as good as a hold, provided they refund the booking fee. Anyone know if they do this?
Old Mar 19, 2008, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroflot Gold, DL Silver, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, NEXUS
Arrow

Originally Posted by peteropny
...Click don't call, as our Reservation agents no longer hold Award Tickets. But if you're not 100% sure of your travel plans, you can hold an Award Ticket for up to 48 hours at delta.com. Plus, you can cancel unused Award Tickets for past and future travel.
They apparently don't appreciate that Air France, an important airline for those booking award travel to Europe, (not sure about KLM, I know Aeroflot does not) doesn't show on delta.com.

Marc David Miller
[email protected]
Old Mar 19, 2008, 2:54 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
The booking fee is not refunded when a PM does a free cancel and redeposit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.