Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing Airlines? What is the process?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2008, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Changing Airlines? What is the process?

I am thinking of purchasing a ticket through Orbitz.

The route has me going from ATL-MIA on Delta.
At this point I would connect onto LTU Intl (a German airline) from MIA-MUC.
Although I would not be checking any bags, I have confirmed that Delta does have an interline agreement with LTU.

Here are my questions. When checking in at ATL, would I go to the Delta International or Domestic check in, and would I need to check in the standard 2-3 hours ahead of time for an intl flight? When arriving in Miami, would I already be checked through to MUC or would I need to check in at the LTU gate? I have a 3 hour layover in MIA, so I am not really worried about that part of the logistics.

Last edited by mattgoolsby; Mar 1, 2008 at 8:23 am
Old Mar 1, 2008, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
If DL has an interline ticketing agreement with LT, then you should be able to get your all your boarding passes. If not, you can just check in again when you're in MIA. With your long layover, you should be fine either way. A better description is below.

It is the responsibility of the selling agency (whether a web site such as Expedia.com or a human agent) to determine whether interline ticketing is possible. If no interline ticketing agreement exists (such as with Southwest and United Airlines) then two separate tickets will need to be issued and passengers will have to retrieve their bags and carry it to the connecting airline for check-in. Itineraries with interline connections such as this (whether issued on a single ticket or two tickets) are risky for travelers since the second carrier may be unaware of delays or issues with the incoming flight and it is more likely for luggage to be lost.

Most online travel agencies will only display itineraries that can be ticketed on one of their booking systems. However Orbitz.com will sometimes display un-ticketable interline itineraries. Examples can be found on routes to Mexico involving Aero California or routes to Indonesia involving Lion Air. These display on Orbitz as "contact airline to buy".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlining

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.