Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reduced coach cabin beverage service??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2008, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PL & MM, Starwood PL, Hyatt Diam, Hilton Diam
Thumbs down Reduced coach cabin beverage service??

I was on a flight this afternoon from San Diego to Atlanta, a 4 hour flight and I was in the coach cabin. In the past the crew always offered two beverage services, with the last one being one hour prior to landing. On this particular flight the flight attendants offered one beverage service and THAT WAS IT!!! Period...never saw them again.

In addition, I got up and went to the galley and asked a FA for a coffee as I was heading to the bathroom. She huffed and puffed after I made my request and I told her to forget it and went to the bathroom and then went to another FA to get a coffee.

I realize that DL is having issues with the price of oil, but cutting cabin beverage service to one time during a 4 hour flight is UNACCEPTABLE IMHO.....people need more than one beverage on a 4 hour flight...I'll even pay for a second beverage if that's what it takes to get something to quench my thirst but we shouldn't be required to head to the galley to request one
Old Feb 29, 2008, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by GeorgeK
I was on a flight this afternoon from San Diego to Atlanta, a 4 hour flight and I was in the coach cabin. In the past the crew always offered two beverage services, with the last one being one hour prior to landing. On this particular flight the flight attendants offered one beverage service and THAT WAS IT!!! Period...never saw them again.
In Y, on the Coast to Coast trips, I've always had 2 beverage services. Hopefully this was an anomaly.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 9:22 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum

In addition, I got up and went to the galley and asked a FA for a coffee as I was heading to the bathroom. She huffed and puffed after I made my request and I told her to forget it and went to the bathroom and then went to another FA to get a coffee.

I realize that DL is having issues with the price of oil, but cutting cabin beverage service to one time during a 4 hour flight is UNACCEPTABLE IMHO.....people need more than one beverage on a 4 hour flight...I'll even pay for a second beverage if that's what it takes to get something to quench my thirst but we shouldn't be required to head to the galley to request one
Sounds like you had a lazyass crew. Let me guess - DL Grannies as FAs right?

I have noticed that on SJC --> ATL the haggard DL grannies are paricularly bad and whine-whine-whine if you go back to the galley and ask for anything. On SJC --> ATL they often only do one service as well, but I agree with the OP that this is not policy, but laziness.

FWIW, I have never had any problems on SFO --> JFK flights in this respect. The crews on this flight seem much better...

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

TFD
Old Feb 29, 2008, 11:03 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
I was on a flight this afternoon from San Diego to Atlanta, a 4 hour flight and I was in the coach cabin.
There's your problem....coach..aren't you a PM? Thought it was illegal to have PMs ride in coach with the common folk. I can say on every SAN-ATL (and back) that the FAs have always announced two coach cabin services. As others have said, hopefully the FAs were just lazy. I'd send a complaint to Delta.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Just off the top of my head as to a reason why there wasn't a second beverage service... Insufficient catering, maybe there wasn't enough drinks, ice, or whatever for a full 2nd service.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 7:42 am

I was on my first transcon with Delta at the end of January, ATL-LAX (767). I always flew USAirways before. I was surprised there was only 1 drink service and only cups. US usually has 2 drink services and a coffee or water service. Plus they gave you the entire can of soda on the first round.

On the other hand, I was on a BDL-CVG about a week ago on an RJ that was delayed at BDL due to snow. After sat for about 30 min at the gate, the FA passed out the small bottles of water (left about 15 min after). Then regular drink service during the 2 hour flight. Then she again offered bottles of water about 30 min before landing.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 8:09 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Was there any turbulence? Right or wrong, that's often the excuse for skipping beverage services. I recently flew on CO from MIA-EWR (3 hour flight) and no beverage service at all! "Turbulence" (which wasn't really that bad) was the excuse, although they did make an announcement to that effect.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 8:12 am

Hmmm...should be 2

Economy Cabin Service Components Highlights
�� Check your Pre-Departure Report for mileage assigned to your flight. If
flight is 1550 miles or greater two full beverage services must be completed
Old Mar 1, 2008, 8:12 am

Programs: HHonors: Diamond, DL: Plat
Was there a BOB food service with the first service? Seems the agents really hate this, as it is taking 1.5 hours on a large aircraft to get through the first service (if it includes BOB food).
Old Mar 1, 2008, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by samikitty
Was there a BOB food service with the first service? Seems the agents really hate this, as it is taking 1.5 hours on a large aircraft to get through the first service (if it includes BOB food).
You mean they might have to work the entire four-hour flight? Gasp!
Old Mar 1, 2008, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Flew yet another FC flight the other day (3 in two months) where FAs brought the cart down the aisle and pulled plastic off meals and gave them to pax. While this doesnt bother some people, it is shocking to see a pattern developing of FAs not following the procedures. This makes three times this year (and hardly ever happened before this).
Old Mar 1, 2008, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PL & MM, Starwood PL, Hyatt Diam, Hilton Diam
Thumbs down One pass on that too...

Originally Posted by samikitty
Yeah the "meal service" consisted of one snack (peanuts, sun chips or crackers...they were out of the Biscouti cookies and Granola bars) or "food for sale".

Not only did they have one beverage service but only one round of "snacks" too.

Most passengers passed on the "food for sale" so it really didn't take that long IMHO to pass out the 1 snack and one beverage service.

Delta is so focused on their international expansion that they are taking their eye off on their existing domestic service.

Last edited by GeorgeK; Mar 1, 2008 at 10:34 am Reason: eddsa
Old Mar 1, 2008, 9:58 am

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
I must say the airlines have now "trained" me. I now buy a large bottle of water in the terminal and take it on board. It's nice to have a drink as soon as we take off or while waiting to take off. I also bring some of my own snacks.

When the stewardess comes by, I certainly take some more water from her to save my supply and perhaps get some ice.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Task Force DL
DL Grannies as FAs right?
I call those Monroe based flight attendants.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Yeah the "meal service" consisted of one snack (peanuts, sun chips or crackers...they were out of the Biscouti cookies and Granola bars) or "food for sale".
Sun chips ... oh how I've missed them. For many months now, they've gone missing in my numerous coach trips between NYC and Florida. Only when I get lucky with an upgrade do I see them, hoarded secretly up front, for the Mojito drinking crowd. I guess it's just another Delta way to distinguish between economy and first class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.