Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question re: gate upgrade timing

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2007, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Priority Club, Hhonors
Question re: gate upgrade timing

Assume you are on the gate upgrade wait list in a decent spot (1st-3rd), but you haven't cleared for an upgrade and the boarding process has started.

Once the boarding process has started (they call zone 1), is there still any reasonable chance for an upgrade?

In other words, is there any reason not to board when called, but instead to wait until the end of boarding process to see if you can sit up front?
Old Nov 28, 2007, 8:20 am

Programs: DL Gold Hopefully be DL nothing in 1 more year / Hertz Something / Hilton Honors Diamond
If it show's and FC seats avaliable on the screen then you should wait. If not then you proabably won't get upgraded. If you are still on the list and there are seats avaliable, then if you attempt to board then you won't be upgraded. You will take your seat, then once everybody has boarded the GA will come on board and move the appropiate people to the front. I've heard there are some discrepancies that occur this way so if you definately know you are going to get 1 of the last 2 to 3 seats avaliable, then I would just wait it out in the gate area.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 8:25 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Yes, there might be misconnects or checked-in non-boarders who free up seats. However, there was one time in SEA where I asked the GA if he would come get me from Y if an F seat freed up. He said yes, and did so!
Old Nov 28, 2007, 9:51 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
I have been pulled from coach before, it is never too late unless the plane is moving.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 11:28 am

Programs: DL FO
Last week a GA came on board and gave me an upgrade, it even shows in my account, but I was unable to get the benefit because the FA had given the seat away to someone else who was complaining about not getting an upgrade since they missed their scheduled flight earlier in the day. It was kind of embarassing to have to walk back to my old seat with all my carry on. To add insult to injury someone had all ready snatched my old good seat.

15 Nov 2007 Delta Flight 125 from Atlanta, GA to Los Angeles, CA (TX)

It does happen but the FA's apparently don't have to let you sit in F if they have upgraded someone else by their own discretion. In the future if I am settled in my caoch seat I will just say no thanks.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
If the GA comes on to the aircraft to upgrade you and has a BP for you, I would challenge the FA's upgrade. If you're on the AC w/ a BP w/ your name and seat assignment I think you have the right to challenge an arbitrary denial of your assigned seat.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
If the plane was still at the gate, then it's your seat period - the plane is still under the control of the gate agent until the door is closed. Once the door is shut, only the captain (since then the plane is under his control) can authorize an upgrade. F/As are not supposed to be upgrading anyone on the plane.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 2:31 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Delta Plat, United 2P
Almost like giving out a secret, but amps is right. If you are on the upgrade list and see at least 1 seat available, I would sit and wait. If you board, then you are taken off of the upgrade list. But if others higher then you board, then you can take it. I have waited until I was #1 on the list (from #8), and then I walked up to the GA and asked if they could clear the last upgrade. Since I was #1 on the list, I got my new boarding pass and walked on board.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Priority Club, Hhonors
Thank you all for responding and thanks for the tip. And Kiljin, only us FT'ers reading this topic know the dirtly little secret. So, shhhh, let's not tell anybody!
Old Nov 28, 2007, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kiljin
Almost like giving out a secret, but amps is right. If you are on the upgrade list and see at least 1 seat available, I would sit and wait. If you board, then you are taken off of the upgrade list. But if others higher then you board, then you can take it. I have waited until I was #1 on the list (from #8), and then I walked up to the GA and asked if they could clear the last upgrade. Since I was #1 on the list, I got my new boarding pass and walked on board.
I did the same today LGA-ATL. As the upgrades started to clear, I was eventually #3, with only 1 open seat left. The boarding process got all the way through zone 8, when the other two pax in from of me all of a sudden disappeared from the list. Sure enough, the GA called me over to me a couple minutes later and said that I had seat 1A and to go ahead an board.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by scotty00
I did the same today LGA-ATL. As the upgrades started to clear, I was eventually #3, with only 1 open seat left. The boarding process got all the way through zone 8, when the other two pax in from of me all of a sudden disappeared from the list. Sure enough, the GA called me over to me a couple minutes later and said that I had seat 1A and to go ahead an board.
Obviously, a lot depends on how large your carry-on luggage is... getting 1A just before the door closes on a full flight might mean your rollaboard rides in the cargo hold.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 7:47 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Delta Plat, United 2P
Usually I've seen that the FAs will keep First Class bins pretty empty if possible. I've never had a problem putting my bag in first. Of course I don't wait that often because I want my pre-board drink!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.