Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miles Granted on Award Flight?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2007, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Miles Granted on Award Flight?

I'm certain this is a silly question to all of you who travel so much but I am a newbie.

I've just booked my first 2 award tickets for trips in April (OAK-JAN) and May (SFO-BZN). Do you earn miles on flights for while you are traveling via an awards ticket? My guess is no but it never hurts to ask. I am just curious if the miles I will be flying will count towards my medallion miles status.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 9:41 am

Nope.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 9:46 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Sometimes if there are irrops and you get rebooked, the agent will rebook you into Y or J or whatnot. certainly nothing to count on...
Old Nov 21, 2007, 9:47 am
Original Poster

That's what I assumed. Thanks!
Old Nov 21, 2007, 10:40 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I've had a few (50% maybe?) VDBs on award tickets rebooked into Y... I've even had one award SDC rebook into Y. I've never asked to be rebooked into Y but will in the future... on VDB or IDB I'll probably ask to be rebooked into F first, then Y.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 10:43 am

SDC rebooked in Y

Hubby was on an awart ticket this summer and did SDC for a more convenient flight. Fees were waived as he is GM. Ended up rebooking him in Y and he got miles/bonus miles for award travel.

Kim
Old Nov 21, 2007, 10:53 am

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Originally Posted by angra
Sometimes if there are irrops and you get rebooked, the agent will rebook you into Y or J or whatnot. certainly nothing to count on...
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I've had a few (50% maybe?) VDBs on award tickets rebooked into Y... I've even had one award SDC rebook into Y. I've never asked to be rebooked into Y but will in the future... on VDB or IDB I'll probably ask to be rebooked into F first, then Y.
Originally Posted by kimslie
Hubby was on an awart ticket this summer and did SDC for a more convenient flight. Fees were waived as he is GM. Ended up rebooking him in Y and he got miles/bonus miles for award travel.

Kim
Yes, this happens more often than one would imagine.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 11:22 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
I've done SDC on an award ticket and did not get rebooked in Y, but had irrops once on an award ticket (affected two segments) and got rebooked in Y for one segment....

David
Old Nov 21, 2007, 11:28 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I think it all depends on availability in any given fare bucket at any given time along with the knowledge/experience/mood of the GA at the time. It seems on the SDC method you're nearly 0% likely of getting rebooked into a different fare class if you do it over the phone but somewhere between 25% - 50% likely to have it occur at the airport (not sure how ticket desk vs. gate agent affects the likelihood).
Old Nov 21, 2007, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I agree IsleofMan...had a similar award ticket experience where I switched flights and the boarding pass said Y, but I got no miles. Ive NEVER had that happen where the fare class on the boarding pass didnt affect the activity in my mileage statement. If I see, N,R,X, etc. I know Ill see no miles, but paid fare basis codes, I generally see them. Maybe this was just an anomaly or is there a way for them to control it sometimes?
Old Nov 21, 2007, 1:34 pm

If I had a BP in hand that said Y or any other mileage-acruable fare code I would atleast try to get DL to credit you. It never hurts to ask.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Yea, but when you SDC on an award ticket, it still says No FF Credit under your name while saying Y in the fare code box, thus the contradiction!
Old Nov 21, 2007, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I've had a few (50% maybe?) VDBs on award tickets rebooked into Y
With VDB's I would consider that an appropriate part of the negotiations.

With IDB's, you can always demand cash on the barrel head if they refuse your requests.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 1:23 pm
v3

No, award flights do not generate any miles/MQM's.
Also, Medalion upgrades do not give you additional miles for F class.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Kim
Just did two SDCs off of revenue tickets and both were booked back into original fare class. This is the norm when you do it over the phone, but often at the airport they put you into Y. Both times, this did not happen. And one time, the agent said to another agent that they arent allowed to IP or OB anymore. I assume the latter means Overbook, but what does IP mean. And have there been new rules put in place (perhaps because of our "blabbering" on FT) that prevent agents from rebooking into Y without the appropriate Y fare being paid?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.