Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta to Close City Ticket Offices in the United States Except in New York City

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to Close City Ticket Offices in the United States Except in New York City

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2007, 7:06 am

Programs: SkyMiles Silver, OnePass Gold, AAdvantage Gold, AS, NW, US, UA, LH
Outside New York City the U.S. City Ticket Offices do not serve any purpose. In a place like Atlanta where Delta has the brand recognition and no high-yield business traveler needs to be reminded to think of Delta for their next trip to Sao Paulo or Stuttgart there is no return on investment.

Here in the "center of the universe" (as somebody in "the region" put it) we have a choice between American, Delta, Continental, and jetBlue for our lucrative international business (jetBlue serves only a handful of Caribbean destinations [international] but some of them are very profitable and moderately high-yield).

Yes, the Delta 360 lounge was very nice. We enjoyed our drinks, we enjoyed nibbling on Biscoff when we were in the neighborhood, we enjoyed the bonus miles, we will enjoy the free Crown Room passes. The double and triple MQM promotions were also much appreciated, I am not the only person I know who diverted international Business class business to Delta, business that would have been travel on another carrier. And now I'll enjoy my status on Delta for another year.

Playing in New York takes a little more effort than Atlanta, Dallas, or Houston, this is the big-time. Sorry if that competition generates a few free perks you don't get in the regions, our city ticket office is very nice and its staying because it serves a purpose.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 12:16 pm

Programs: Delta PM
This is not good. Sometimes I use the ATL CTO to buy tickets that cost more than my credit cards can stand.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by BingoLoco
This is not good. Sometimes I use the ATL CTO to buy tickets that cost more than my credit cards can stand.
Perhaps you should send a check to your credit card issuer to pre-pay and make room for a large purchase. If you get em on the phone this can be arranged, I believe.

I agree, however. CTO provides nice options from time to time. I only use the CTO about once every two years, but it has been helpful when I need to change an international paper ticket.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by HJC-CVG
The AMEX companion certificate no longer requires that you book it in person. I just booked one in the last couple of weeks, called ahead to reserve the seats before I thought I was going to have to head to CVG and the agent informed me the whole reservation can now be made over the phone.
Off topic, but did you have to pay $20 per ticket for handling over the phone (plus $99 for companion ticket plus taxes)?
Old Dec 4, 2007, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
The thing I will miss the most about the ATL Lenox CTO--besdies the friendly, knowledgeable staff--is that you could always count on them documenting PMUs correctly, when you were turning them in/executing them early (to use them before they expired).

Assuming DL actually switches over to electronic PMUs, it hopefully won't be the same issue as it has with the paper version. We'll see.

I guess I should be happy if DL just keeps PMUs in any form, and doesn't enhance them away.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 1:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM
I have never used a CTO, so won't miss them.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG Gold, A+ (FL) Elite, Spirit Air, Hertz Gold, AAA+,AMEX
Yuh the CTO always came in handy when u have to go and present travel vouchers. When this takes effect I'll have to go all the way to the airport (pay to park) to use them... unless of course they do what should be done anyway (like other airlines) and make all vouchers electronic.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
I remember using the Delta CTO at Northlake in Atlanta to purchase upgrades prior to flights back in the '80s. Of course back then the company I worked for had an airline ticket printer on site, and you'd get your plane tickets at work from the general manager's secretary.

Things have changed a lot since then.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA Platinum; US Gold; DL Silver
Delta is closing its city ticket offices?!? They're a part of history!

Yeesh, next thing you know, you'll tell me that TWA and Pan Am are closing theirs too. Talk about unprecedented!
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:04 pm

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
Originally Posted by jbatl
It is, after all, the center of the universe.
But it IS the center of the universe!

Let's not get all uppity...didn't after the ATLANTA Braves won their ONLY World Series in Atlanta in 1995 that Turner started marketing them as AMERICA'S TEAM!?!? Please. We all get a little jingoistic geographically from time to time and Atlanta is not immune.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 10:41 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by HobokenFlyer
But it IS the center of the universe!

Let's not get all uppity...didn't after the ATLANTA Braves won their ONLY World Series in Atlanta in 1995 that Turner started marketing them as AMERICA'S TEAM!?!? Please. We all get a little jingoistic geographically from time to time and Atlanta is not immune.
First of all, Turner started calling the Braves America's team in the early '80s when he started televising the games nationally on his cable network, Superstation TBS. It was nice to be able to watch Braves v. Reds from a hotel room in rural Utah. For some of the fans it stuck.

You know, if you're gonna throw some accusations around at least do some fact-checking. We live in the age of the internet, it's pretty easy to look something up from the center of the universe. See here and 4th bullet point here.

In response to LawPanther: If you're gonna go down to the airport, I would suggest taking the train. It is so much easier than driving and paying to park. You get dumped into your choice of terminals and you can get some reading done while on the train. No traffic, either.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 6:55 am

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
Originally Posted by yorock
You know, if you're gonna throw some accusations around at least do some fact-checking. We live in the age of the internet, it's pretty easy to look something up from the center of the universe. See here and 4th bullet point here.
Excuse me, You mistake me for someone who give two figs. Living in the center of the universe back in 1982 and having no cable TV until 1985, I was hardly tuning in to TBS. Braves are STILL not or ever were "America's Team" or "America's Team II" regardless of WTBS' penetration into the national TV landscape. I also heartily disagree with the Dallas Cowboys' assertion they are "America's Team"...they are Dallas' team, plain and simple just like the Braves is Atlanta's team and were Milwaukee's and previously Boston's.

I even take offense when JFK, Jr. piloted himself to death and everyone was calling him "our American prince" and all that malarkey. He wasn't that special. Just a scion of a dead president.

I am a Yankee fan and they are NEW YORK's team and they SHARE that with the Mets (even though to a lesser extent ) I would never think nor would I WANT the Yankees to be "America's Team".

- HF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.