Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL-OGG, 1st class seats moved - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2007, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA - Platinum; DL, BA; SPG Gold
ATL-OGG, 1st class seats moved - what to do?

ATL-LAX-OGG on 767-300, seats 1C&D or 4A&B?

Background:

My husband is gold medallion - at least through this year and then nothing. He flew no miles this year.

I booked 2 first class tickets from BOS-OGG last year using "old miles". I changed the dates at the beginning of the year and now flying at the end of November, after Thanksgiving rush. Since the beginning we were in seats
3E&3F on flight number 1185 ATL- LAX - OGG. I check the Delta site often to see if there are any changes. This morning, I saw that we were now sitting in seats 1C&1E and called the Medallion line. I was told the plane changed from 400 to 300. The agent put us together in 1C&1D and said no other seats.

I then went back on to Delta site and saw that row 4A&B are available - are those seats any better. I went to SeatGuru, but both alternatives are best. Which is the worst 4A&B or 1B&C?

Any other alternatives? Could I change the date?

Thanks so much. Mrs. Pat
Old Nov 6, 2007, 6:54 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Deciding which is the best is a personal preference. However, here are a couple of factors to look at:
  1. Row 1 is a bulkhead row - means two things: (1) no floor storage of personal items, and possibly limited legroom due to the wall in front of you.
  2. Row 4 is the last row - limited recline due to the wall behind your seat.
To me, I would have to base my decision on whether legroom or recline is the most important factor for me or my DW.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 8:51 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I'd take row 1 any day of the week. It's domestic F, but legroom is still plentiful unless you're well over 6'. Full recline and no seat back in front of me, as well as first off the plane makes these great seats. Since it's a long flight, the lack of floor storage shouldn't be a big deal at all. The only minor nitpick you might have is 1B and 1C will be separated by the aisle. I'd still take this over 4A/B w/ its limited recline and seat back in front of you.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 9:29 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
Both options carry important negatives -- no recline in 4; separated by an aisle, no storage and possible legroom issues in 1. Neither seems as good as what you had. You'll probably have to pay a change fee if you alter your travel date.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 9:35 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by donlind
Both options carry important negatives -- no recline in 4; separated by an aisle, no storage and possible legroom issues in 1. Neither seems as good as what you had. You'll probably have to pay a change fee if you alter your travel date.
It is not "no recline" in row 4, but limited recline. Don't recall the exact amount of recline, but the seats will still go back some, just not as much as the other seats in the FC cabin.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 10:24 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
Limited. Thank you!!
Old Nov 6, 2007, 11:02 am

Programs: DL FO...ex-PM, GM...does it really even matter these days? LOL...
1C and 1D are my favorite on the 763 Domestic.

Very true what Comment #8 says about the movie screen. Viewing is not optimal from row 1...
Old Nov 6, 2007, 11:03 am

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
One other thing to consider, if you are in to watching whatever movie, etc. they are showing. With a 764 you would have had your own screen in FC with several movie options--not Video on Demand, but still choices.

On a 763 (the domestic version) there is only one screen for FC and it is on the wall right in front of 1C/D. I would think it would be very hard to watch from there--like sitting in the first row of a movie theatre, but with a lousy screen. They are in the process of upgrading the domestic 763s so they will have AVOD systems in each seat (better than either the current domestic 763 or 764), but, if they've even started those, your chances of getting one probably aren't great. They are scheduled for completion by June 08.

With a 764, bulkhead to Hawaii was the best option, except for 7E&F (available from the West Coast and SLC to/from HI). On a 763, I'm not quite as convinced. Of course, if there is a screaming baby in 10A/B (first row of Y--right behind 4A/B), then you would really be happy if you were in 1C&D and not 4A&B.

As others have said, pros and cons both ways. The bottom line to remember though is that you will be on the plane, and in FC, for a few hours and then you'll be in Hawaii--how bad can that be!

Aloha

Last edited by atl runner; Nov 6, 2007 at 3:30 pm
Old Nov 6, 2007, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA - Platinum; DL, BA; SPG Gold
Talked to Delta - won't do anything about it.

Talked to Delta - I was told that "Atlanta" made the seat change and there is nothing they can do about it. They have no idea why they would have done that. Maybe it was for a mucky muck's parents.

They will not allow me to change the date either - when there are plenty of seats available on other flights. Bummer.

Thanks for your comments.

Mrs. Pat
Old Nov 6, 2007, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Originally Posted by PatFlyer
Talked to Delta - I was told that "Atlanta" made the seat change and there is nothing they can do about it. They have no idea why they would have done that. Maybe it was for a mucky muck's parents.

They will not allow me to change the date either - when there are plenty of seats available on other flights. Bummer.

Thanks for your comments.

Mrs. Pat
Mrs. Pat, Mrs. Pat, Mrs. Pat!

1C&D, 3E&F, 4A&B, 767-400, 767-300--it doesn't really matter that much.

You are going to Hawaii.
You are travelling in FC, which aint what it used to be, but still beats Y.
You used "old" miles rather than let them turn into (less valuable) Sky Miles.
Did I mention, you're going to Hawaii.

Forget the "bummer" attitude and start packing the hiking boots, swimsuits, snorkeling gear, etc. You are going to Hawaii.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 9:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by atl runner
Mrs. Pat, Mrs. Pat, Mrs. Pat!

1C&D, 3E&F, 4A&B, 767-400, 767-300--it doesn't really matter that much.

You are going to Hawaii.
You are travelling in FC, which aint what it used to be, but still beats Y.
You used "old" miles rather than let them turn into (less valuable) Sky Miles.
Did I mention, you're going to Hawaii.

Forget the "bummer" attitude and start packing the hiking boots, swimsuits, snorkeling gear, etc. You are going to Hawaii.
nail, head.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.