Search

Delta/Skyteam for mostly International Travel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2007, 10:28 am
Moz
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Delta SM, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold
Delta/Skyteam for mostly International Travel

Excuse the broad question but I really am having difficulty making a decision on this.

I have been Air Canada Elite since 2002 but moving down to the US. I will be doing mostly international travel to Europe, Central and South America.At first glance Delta seems to be the best as I will be close to Atlanta. I am hoping Delta will Status match me to Gold/platinum (I have done 120k this year).

My question. Is Delta/skyteam a good airline/alliance or since I am doing mostly International travel should I stay with Star Alliance or even go to One World?
Old Nov 4, 2007, 10:30 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Look at whether DL as non-stops to where you want to go. Just so you know, upgrading int'l flights is practically impossible. I don't know how *A is on this.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
DL will match to GM at the most. I don't know their matching policy with respect to AC elites. You may also be offered a challenge.

IMO with the recent expansion, DL has the most interesting international destinations of any US airline. However, if you like getting upgraded, you will find it tough going on DL.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 10:40 am
Moz
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vasantn
However, if you like getting upgraded, you will find it tough going on DL.
THanks, I have found that getting an upgrade on any airline is becoming more and more challenging

What about Deltas instant upgrade policy for Gold And Platinum ie buy Y class. Is that easier to do and less expensive that full Business class?
Old Nov 4, 2007, 10:47 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by Palal
Just so you know, upgrading int'l flights is practically impossible. I don't know how *A is on this.
While it's getting harder on some TATL flights and some deep South America flights, I wouldn't say it's 'practically impossible'. I've had about a 90-95% success rate on transoceanic upgrades for the past year or so, but then I am a PM and DL doesn't status match to PM.

DL does offer the domestic-like complimentary upgrades on many flights to Central and "northern" South America (i.e., CCS, LIM, etc.), based on status (which determines the upgrade timing window) and fare purchased. Full Y fare will get you an upgrade at time of booking on these flights.

In general, as long as your international area of travel is not Asia/Pacific, DL and SkyTeam are actually a very good choice.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
However, if you like getting upgraded, you will find it tough going on DL.
And not the issue is not just TATL.

I'm upgraded TATL on tomorrow's flight out of ATL and the return. The flight TO ATL from DCA, however, is still J8 Z0 (It's the domestic segment of DL24, which is an MD88 DCA-ATL and a 762 ATL-DUS) at less than 24 hours out. I come back through JFK, meaning that I have to take the Comair flight JFK-DCA.

Used to be that the domestic portions were easiest to get.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, CRC, HHonors gold, Hyatt GP Plat, SPG
You can get an upgrade at time of purchase of a full Y ticket if there are seats in the V bucket regardless of which level you are (not just GM and PM). However, check the prices! I have seen A fares cheaper than full Y.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
Originally Posted by Palal
Look at whether DL as non-stops to where you want to go. Just so you know, upgrading int'l flights is practically impossible. I don't know how *A is on this.
If you can get to PM on DL, then the PM Upgrade certificates work very well with a little planning on TATL/TPAC DL flights.

My *A experiences trying to get mileage credit on non-UA airlines where frustrating beyond belief.

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
In general, as long as your international area of travel is not Asia/Pacific, DL and SkyTeam are actually a very good choice.
I do quite well using DL/KE into Asia. Once I'm there (routing through ICN usually), I can KE to wherever in China I want, and usually use domestic Chinese airlines to get elsewhere very economically in Business or First.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by AFRet
You can get an upgrade at time of purchase of a full Y ticket if there are seats in the V bucket regardless of which level you are (not just GM and PM). However, check the prices! I have seen A fares cheaper than full Y.
The OP is doing mostly international travel.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 5:20 pm

I am a PM and MM Delta traveller, and I have a good upgrade success rate with DL. I spent much time during 2006 travelling between the U.S. and Brazil (still domiciled in the U.S.) and I am now spending a lot of time in Chile. To here someone say that it is practically impossible to get upgraded on DL is simply not true. All of my 2005,2006 and 2007 PMU (2.5 years) upgrade certificates have been used for South American travel between ATL, GRU, EZE, and SCL. I have also used my miles to upgrade, but not frequently. I travel on business, so my travel dates are limited.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 6:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, CRC, HHonors gold, Hyatt GP Plat, SPG
The OP is doing mostly international travel.
OOPS. My bad. Should have read it closer. Even says so in the title.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 4:32 am

Programs: Delta DM, 3M; AA, FB, UA some lower status
Originally Posted by Moz
My question. Is Delta/skyteam a good airline/alliance or since I am doing mostly International travel should I stay with Star Alliance or even go to One World?
The answer depends on what you expect from your choice of airline alliance.

In my experience, the product offered by the US-based members of Sky Team is far superior to their competitors (NB: My international experience with them is all business class.). Delta, Continental and Northwest have a much better product than American and United. I have not flown international on USAir.

However, if you are making your choice based on the ability to use your miles for award travel, then One World is your clear choice. American may not have much service from Atlanta, but award availability at the "saver" level is dramatically better on American than Delta or United. YMMV, but I have had the opportunity to check all three against each other several times in the last few years, and the result is consistent: Delta - "No"; United - "No"; American - "Yes, which flight would you prefer? 4 are available!".
Old Nov 5, 2007, 10:56 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta Platinum, LY Maybe:)
I think the proximity to ATL says it all. Also, between DL, CO and NW (And Skyteam) you get decent opportunities for award travel.

Originally Posted by Tom Williams
The answer depends on what you expect from your choice of airline alliance.

In my experience, the product offered by the US-based members of Sky Team is far superior to their competitors (NB: My international experience with them is all business class.). Delta, Continental and Northwest have a much better product than American and United. I have not flown international on USAir.

However, if you are making your choice based on the ability to use your miles for award travel, then One World is your clear choice. American may not have much service from Atlanta, but award availability at the "saver" level is dramatically better on American than Delta or United. YMMV, but I have had the opportunity to check all three against each other several times in the last few years, and the result is consistent: Delta - "No"; United - "No"; American - "Yes, which flight would you prefer? 4 are available!".
Old Nov 5, 2007, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I would research what you want out of your elite status before you choose the FF plan. For flights, CO or DL would probably be best, but you might want to check out NW, as well. I've found good availability as an elite with NW, with full EQM on DL flights as well. '

Reward availability is also a big issue. If you can't get awards, the the usefulness of the FF program isn't so great. I changed from CO to NW for that reason. If you're just going after free upgrades, make sure that the routes you're looking for has free ones, or the mileage/cash upgrade fees.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 6:00 pm
Moz
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your sage advice, it is really very helpful. I do think I will go withy Delta as they have good international coverage for South America and Europe.

One more (possibly stupid) question. will I still get MQM miles when I fly on a Skyteam partner airline (for my Australian trip for example).

Thanks all again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.