Wiki Posts
Search

OnLine Check-In--What's the Point?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2007, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
OnLine Check-In--What's the Point?

If a pax has bags to check, is there any point in OLCI? I don't see one. If I am traveling light, I will use OLCI, but with bags to check, I just wait until I arrive at the airport.

Does anyone know of a benefit to OLCI when you have bags to check?
Old Oct 1, 2007, 9:32 am

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR
I had the same thought in my mind. I am flying AA tomorrow morning, but realized I am checking luggage so why bother?????
Old Oct 1, 2007, 9:35 am

Programs: DL PM
As far as I can tell, the primary purpose of online checkin is to shift the burden of paying for all that ink & paper from the airline to the passengers...
Old Oct 1, 2007, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
At some airports, DL has a dedicated agent for checking baggage for OLCI pax. Sometimes, that may be more expeditious than checking in at the airport. Less likely if you're a Medallion, though.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 9:42 am

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
My wife and I just like being "in the system" as having checked in. I don't see any great advantage, but not really any downside either. I'd be on delta.com the day before anyway (actually I'm on most days, but that's another story) so checking in takes virtually no effort at all.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I was always wondering the same thing. With luggage there doesn't seem to be much of a point (unless, for some reason, I was never given an assigned seat, which happens occasionally). And honestly, I hate having BP's printed on plain old computer paper - there's just something about having the BP's printed on that traditional boarding pass paper.

I use OLCI only if I know I will be rushing to the airport, and will have less time to go through the formailities there. I will definitely not use OLCI when going internationally - much easier to have my passport scanned at the Kiosk (at least UA, where I do most of my travel does this), rather than have to type it in on my computer.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 10:39 am

Programs: Skymiles
Actually, there is new technology that will be coming out to assist with OLCI. At CVG, where the kiosk check in is, you will see silver "arms" coming out of the counter where we take your bags. These are not hooked up yet..but will be soon. When you check in online, it will ask you how many bags you want
to check. Then when you arrive at the airport, just walk up to the agent, bypassing the kiosks, and use that "arm" to scan your boarding pass. Your bag tag will print right out for you.

Unfortunately, it just took some time to get moving on this techonology. My guess is, they were waiting for us to come out of bankruptcy before implenting anything new.

I'm not sure what cities will have this available. But we're pretty excited here.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 10:46 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
One advantage I can see... if you're at the airport after the check-in cut-off time, and you OLCI'ed you can still make the flight.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by kmk5397
Actually, there is new technology that will be coming out to assist with OLCI. At CVG, where the kiosk check in is, you will see silver "arms" coming out of the counter where we take your bags. These are not hooked up yet..but will be soon. When you check in online, it will ask you how many bags you want
to check. Then when you arrive at the airport, just walk up to the agent, bypassing the kiosks, and use that "arm" to scan your boarding pass. Your bag tag will print right out for you.

Unfortunately, it just took some time to get moving on this techonology. My guess is, they were waiting for us to come out of bankruptcy before implenting anything new.

I'm not sure what cities will have this available. But we're pretty excited here.
The few times I fly airlines other than DL--going on routes DL doesn't fly or doesn't employ mainline aircraft--they pretty routinely (if I am remembering correctly) ask for the number of bags you will check. Then they have a dedicated area for checking those bags. Air Tran (to MKE--no more DL mainline service), Alaska and BA come to mind.

Update: I see DL has added some mainline service back into MKE.^

Last edited by atl runner; Oct 1, 2007 at 1:11 pm
Old Oct 1, 2007, 11:50 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I was always wondering the same thing. With luggage there doesn't seem to be much of a point (unless, for some reason, I was never given an assigned seat, which happens occasionally). And honestly, I hate having BP's printed on plain old computer paper - there's just something about having the BP's printed on that traditional boarding pass paper.
Off topic but I actually like the old hard printed BPs vs. the new thermal ones on that flimsy paper.... sigh
Old Oct 1, 2007, 11:53 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
On their end, if you had to stand in line to do this previously, then it will free up an agent to assist customers in other ways. On our end, if you're running tight on time, it's one less thing to do at the airport.

Since it also doubles as a confirmation that you intend to fly, perhaps the airlines use this as a means to determine how many seats will be available to re-sell or use as upgrades...
Old Oct 1, 2007, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
And honestly, I hate having BP's printed on plain old computer paper - there's just something about having the BP's printed on that traditional boarding pass paper.
Even if you've OLCId, you can get BPs printed at the airport. By default, the kiosks will ask if you want duplicate BPs printed, all you have to do is pick 'yes'. If checking in with an agent, just say you couldn't get them to print, and they'll issue new ones.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Palal
One advantage I can see... if you're at the airport after the check-in cut-off time, and you OLCI'ed you can still make the flight.
Absolutely! Also if there were crowds such that you would miss the bag check deadline, you might use the BP to go directly through security and deal with gate checking there.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by clarence5ybr
Even if you've OLCId, you can get BPs printed at the airport. By default, the kiosks will ask if you want duplicate BPs printed, all you have to do is pick 'yes'. If checking in with an agent, just say you couldn't get them to print, and they'll issue new ones.
Actually, there are times where we'll do OLCI, but don't have printer access, so we would have to get the BPs at the airport anyway. If dealing with an agent or sky cap, they usually just give you a new one anyway. And, as you say, you can request one from a kiosk or CRC.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by GaryO3
Off topic but I actually like the old hard printed BPs vs. the new thermal ones on that flimsy paper.... sigh
Tree killer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.