Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to book contract fares directly with Delta?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2007, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO 1MM

My employer has contracted airfare with Delta (and other airlines) to various locations. We have a pair of corporate travel agencies who normally do the booking and are obviously able to obtain the contract fares. At various times I've become disollusioned with the travel agents and attempted to book my own travel but without any success. Is there some trick to it? Is there any way it could be done via the delta website? Is there a magic password or code or something? I figure if anyone knows this kind of stuff, FTers would...
Old Sep 15, 2007, 9:29 pm
PMD

Programs: DL GM, UA PE, National EE, Priority Club Plat, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Yes it can be done, but your travel agency has to request the ability of Delta to associate your SkyMiles number with your company's corporate discount code.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

If I understand you, this means that I need the permission/help of the people I am trying to fire....is that right?
Old Sep 15, 2007, 10:17 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Have your corporate travel office talk to their corporate sales person at Delta. It can be done, but because most of the contracts require use of specified agencies (so the market-share requirements can be verified), you'll need to go up the food chain on this one.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 6:50 am
BFG

Programs: SPG Platinum
You'd be able to ticket at an airport with proper identification (company ID or company credit card) but find me an agent that knows that. Find me an agent that would know how to find your corporate discount code or store the fare. Most of those finely skilled employees are sadly long gone from Delta.

There are a few left ...but probably just a few.

Reservations isn't allowed to ticket these since they cannot verify you credentials.

FYI company business cards are not valid ID and corp discounts are for company business travel only.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info everyone. sounds like kind of a lost cause, and the issues mentioned seem to give sensible context to the difficulties I've had. I carry a ID card made by my employer at all times (access control) but going to the airport is not likely to happen. There used to be a ticketing office walking distance from my home but they knocked it down and put in a costco . I don't have any access to my travel office - if I'm lucky I can talk to accountants. Looks like "grin and bear it", unless my group admin wants to become a travel agent too .
Old Sep 16, 2007, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by BFG
You'd be able to ticket at an airport with proper identification (company ID or company credit card) but find me an agent that knows that. Find me an agent that would know how to find your corporate discount code or store the fare. Most of those finely skilled employees are sadly long gone from Delta.

Reservations isn't allowed to ticket these since they cannot verify you credentials.

FYI company business cards are not valid ID and corp discounts are for company business travel only.
Unfortunately, with the move to electronic ticketing and reservations, this is more and more the truth....most agents in the field are just not taught those types of skills due to the fact that the scenario you are suggesting happens maybe once in a great blue moon--maybe once every two years.

The agents are mainly taught simple ticketing procedures.

DL does have more advanced ticketing classes, but many are for international FTO's and agents because they generally have more face to face encounters with paxs buying tickets directly from the airport or FTO as opposed to going online or to a travel discounter.

But there are a few older agents who still do things like this and can still do manual fare calculations and store them...a lost art at most airlines these days with the advent of electronic and automated ticketing operations.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 9:58 am
VIB

Originally Posted by BFG
That'd be me.

"Some airlines still pitch even their lowest-paying jobs as exciting careers. A recent job posting from Northwest for $9-an-hour baggage handlers says they can "see the world with amazing travel privileges."

A United job posting for $11.50-an-hour ramp workers says, "The time is right to join United. We're on the move and headed towards an exciting new destination."

But airline jobs have been devalued by the post-9/11 industry upheaval, and many entry-level jobs now pay the same as or less than retail jobs do."

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...ine-jobs_N.htm
Old Sep 16, 2007, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by BFG

I'm still here............but work at Res
Old Sep 16, 2007, 10:15 am
VIB

Originally Posted by DlRes
I'm still here............but work at Res
I feel your pain.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by VIB
I feel your pain.
Retired? No you don't
Old Sep 16, 2007, 10:23 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by BFG

I'm still here..at the CVG FTO..come see me!
Old Sep 16, 2007, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by kmk5397
I'm still here..at the CVG FTO..come see me!
Too bad the OP is in GA
Old Sep 16, 2007, 10:29 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by DlRes
Too bad the OP is in GA
Yep your right! Sorry!

I think getting up at 4am everyday is getting to me!
Old Sep 16, 2007, 10:44 am
VIB

Originally Posted by DLBeno
But there are a few older agents who still do things like this and can still do manual fare calculations and store them...a lost art at most airlines these days with the advent of electronic and automated ticketing operations.

This is the key here -- find an older agent and ask him/her if they can do it. Since the OP is in Smyrna, GA it might pay to drive over to one of Delta's three remaining City Ticket Offices. These used to be pretty high seniority jobs.

Maybe if you brought along a box of Krispy Kremes.... (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.