Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

International Upgrades on Delta Air Lines — The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International Upgrades on Delta Air Lines — The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2001, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 1MM Plat; UAL 1K, Starwood Plat
International Upgrades???

I'm scheduled to fly JFK to NRT in June with my wife. I used miles for her ticket (BE) and bought mine (L Class). What are the chances they’ll upgrade me (if any)? Also, what do you do to keep your back from becoming strained on such a long flight -- I am in seat 38A?
Old May 19, 2001, 10:48 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Your chances of being upgraded are very, very slim.
Old May 19, 2001, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

International Upgrades???

I'm scheduled to fly JFK to NRT in June with my wife. I used miles for her ticket (BE) and bought mine (L Class). What are the chances they’ll upgrade me (if any)? Also, what do you do to keep your back from becoming strained on such a long flight -- I am in seat 38A?
Old May 20, 2001, 3:02 am

Originally posted by SLC2002:
Very slim. If you are GM or better, you may politey ask the gate agent to consider you in mind for operational upgrade, if the economy is full. Since your wife is in B/E already, you would be very grateful ;-)
Old May 20, 2001, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Your chances are essentially zero. See the related thread on how empty this flight has been. Your only chance would be an operational upgrade, and they don't do those on empty planes.

Bruce
Old May 20, 2001, 10:37 am

Your only chance of sitting in BE is to swap seats with your wife. Good luck!
Old May 20, 2001, 4:25 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Check for Z seats, upgrade to a higher fare (at least M class) and upgrade using a SWU/PMU or miles. For such a long route, it should be worth it - and it wouldn't hurt to make sure to sit next to your wife, would it?
Old May 21, 2001, 10:54 am

I was just on the JFK-NAR run. Doubt u will be upgraded. As far as the seats, when you get to the gate, ask the gate agent if they could block the row of seats. Then lift up the arm rests and sleep for 10+ hours. I had a row to myself, each time I go there. Twice in the past 9 months. Rather have a row, than B/E. Have fun.
Old May 21, 2001, 11:28 am

Are you platinum? They'll block a row of seats for you or was the flight EMPTY?
Old May 21, 2001, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Read the related thread on JFK-NRT flights. They are quite empty. I flew to NRT on May 8 and back on May 14. Both ways I saw people stretched out across a middle row of coach seats. I was in BE but wondered who was more comfortable!

Bruce
Old May 21, 2001, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally posted by bdschobel:
Read the related thread on JFK-NRT flights. They are quite empty. I flew to NRT on May 8 and back on May 14. Both ways I saw people stretched out across a middle row of coach seats. I was in BE but wondered who was more comfortable!

Bruce
I am a PM and hope the flight will be empty - I don't expect the gate agent to reserve a whole row for me but luck my be on myside. I figure i'll just try and snatch an empty row.
Thanks for the help--

Old May 21, 2001, 6:29 pm
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
Originally posted by bdschobel:
Both ways I saw people stretched out across a middle row of coach seats. I was in BE but wondered who was more comfortable!
Bruce
My trick when I get a whole row to spread out across is to get a seat belt extender so I can strap myself in on the diagnal so I don't roll out or get jolted by turbulance. It is more comfy then Biz/E if you can get the whole row of 5.
Old Mar 13, 2003, 2:58 pm

Upgrade on international flight

OK, I have a question for you seasoned travelers. Does Delta ever give a complimentary upgrade to business elite and if so, what is the best way to go about asking for one?

Thank you.
Old Mar 13, 2003, 3:08 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Yes, it has happened.

"Please" is a good way to ask.

Then again, people have also won the lottery.

Good luck, you will need it.

PS: Welcome to FlyerTalk!

[This message has been edited by Spiff (edited 03-13-2003).]
Old Mar 13, 2003, 3:11 pm

Thanks Spiff. I asked for an upgrade in December on a flight to London (yes, I said "Please"!) and they acted very annoyed that I had even asked.

I was just wondering if there is a "strategy" that works, but it sounds like it is just luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.