Search

RealDLInsider - June 28 Posting

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2007, 12:41 pm
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines
Original Poster

RealDLInsider - June 28 Posting

All,

Hope all has been going well over the last few weeks and that our employees have been delivering a level of service that meets your expectations. The company has invested and will continue to spend significant dollars in improving our customer experience, which we all know starts with our employees. Not only have we invested in training, we have created a “pay for performance” culture which rewards employees (top-down) for meeting top-tier operational and service objectives. Clearly, we can’t always get everything perfect, and heaven knows for some of you, we’ve done more wrong than right, but an overall reduction in the number of complaints, recent internal survey data, this year’s JD power scoring, and what appears to be an increase in positive feedback, certainly feels like we might be heading in the right direction. Would love to hear some of your thoughts on this?

On the network side of the business, we continue to add new service from our JFK hub and will continue to invest in the customer experience in all of New York. New service additions just announced to the Caribbean and Central America will add to our existing service in BOS-LGA-DCA Shuttle Markets, in Transcon, to Florida, to our hubs, to Europe and to the Middle East, India and Africa. Next year, we hope to add new service to London-Heathrow and will hopefully gain government approval to serve China later this year.

Some customers have asked why these new markets are important to us, and although obvious, I thought I’d share my perspective. China is the most obvious. One of the fastest growing economies in the world continues to have limited travel access to the U.S., which today is solely owned by just a few U.S. and Chinese airlines. Access by Delta, would not only provide additional competition, but more importantly, offer new service for the Southeastern U.S. to China, cutting hours off the currently required New York, Chicago or West Coast connections. Many at Delta are working hard to win this new access, and with your support, we believe we can obtain this access.

With respect to London Heathrow, it’s slightly more complicated. I agree with some of the recent posts around London Gatwick actually being a preferred airport, but unfortunately, I’m not the average business customer. Access to LGW only, limits our ability to win over key corporate accounts, particularly in New York, and all but eliminates our ability to win over customers from London who live closer to the LHR airport. Although a sometimes difficult connecting airport, the reality is that there are still more connecting opportunities in LHR today than there are in LGW. As such, having access to LHR is important to us, and although it’ll likely be “bloody” as the British might say, with it, we are better able to win in New York and in Europe.

I saw a couple postings on Hilton and Avis/Budget, and what this all means. Basically, the preferred partnerships provide Hilton, Avis and Budget, preferred booking channel access. As such, Avis, Budget and Hilton will have greater presence through our reservations booking processes (e.g. call transfer), on delta.com during the purchase path, in our recent launch of online non-airline merchandise (e.g. hotel and car rentals with your airline purchase), and better access to our SkyMiles channels (including direct mail, email and our newsletters). In turn, Delta will work more closely with these three partners and provide our customers even greater opportunities to earn and potentially redeem their frequent flyer miles. The recent 1,000 mile and 1,000 MQM promotion is just beginning. There is more to come down the road, but a win-win for our companies and our customers.

If you all have not been, wanted to briefly mention to you a “must go” destination – that I just experienced two weeks ago. Dubai! It’s truly fantastic. I’m not sure what the average American believes Dubai to be like, but it was not even close to what I expected. The Dubai airport is beautiful (with the English language everywhere), you don’t need a visa, and the airport has the best duty-free shopping anywhere I’ve been. I stayed at the Jumeirah Madinat hotel, situated next door to the Burj Al Arab and the Jumeirah Beach Hotel. From the cold towels and a complimentary drink at check-in, to the oasis of a room, to the beautiful Persian Gulf, the cabanas on the beach, to the Wadi Water Park (with waterslides and waterboarding), to the fantastic restaurant options, amazing shopping, and diversity of culture, I summed it up as one of the best places I’ve been. It was as if I was staying in the best Four Seasons out there, in a Las Vegas type city, yet right on the beach. The service and wait staff were impeccable. On top of all of this, to fly nonstop from Dubai to Atlanta in 14 hours, and fly right over Baghdad at 36,000 feet – put all this fun into perspective. Not only did I have a great time, it gave me time to reflect, on how proud I am of our country and what our military has done over the years to make the majority of world a better place. I’m thrilled that I got a chance to see the UAE, and if any of you get the chance, it’s well worth the time.

By the way -- I just got a popup when I logged in. I can confirm that back by popular demand are the 125K MQMs incentives. Letters and emails are set to drop. Til next time!

Jeff
Old Jun 28, 2007, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM; AS MVP-G
Jeff-

With regards to the employee stuff, it really shows. Through BK, I saw the Spirit of Delta shine. Post BK: I've seen the Spirit of Delta RENEWED. From the counter to the gate to the plane, there is something about the DL employees that says to me "Yeah, we know we make a difference in your travel experience".

Where it really shows is when you have the chance to compare on other carriers. I was forced into a US booking and a couple of NW trips in the last few months. Jeff...the difference is amazing. The employees I encountered on those trips ranged anywhere from indifferent to surly. They just didn't have the bounce, the smile, the 'thank you' attitude that I get from DL. Granted, anyone can have an off day...but I think I took a sampling wide enough to make a sound judgement call on what I see.

I am by no means an apologist for any carrier, but in my travels...I feel like when I'm on DL, most everyone is glad I'm there...and the majority of them put forth 110% to represent DL the best they can.

Allright, enough gushing. Keep up the good work on the employee front. And keep the Nutella in the CRC's. Yum!

--GA
Old Jun 28, 2007, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Thanks for the Update! I'm excited for all that DL is doing (especially expansion) and can't wait to achieve FO status. I'd love to visit Dubai in the near future.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
As always, thanks for your insights. ^

Nice plug for that Dubai route
Old Jun 28, 2007, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, GPP Silver
I saw the Spirit of Delta shine....Where it really shows is when you have the chance to compare on other carriers
Ditto that. I have seen a lot of frowns turned upside down over the past six months. The great service is not taken for granted!
Old Jun 28, 2007, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat, DL PM, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Jeff,

Any comments or updates on medallions being able to reserve exit row seats at booking for international flights? See link below for discussion on FT.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=702969

res1968
Old Jun 28, 2007, 1:29 pm

Programs: 7mm DM, FC, Marriott PM (lifetime), HH Diamond
Ditto on the service! On all the numerous DL flights I have flown this year, and I do mean numerous, only on one flight did I find less than an amazing service and attitude and on that flight it was obvious that the other FAs were thumbs down on the attitude, but everyone has a bad day. Last week I overnighted in ATL and when I checked in there was an awesome gentleman doing curbside check in. He was singing and so jolly!
Had to fly CO on a trip to YVR (had business and the Mrs wanted to go so I decided to burn the last of my CO miles which were actually earned on EA) and yes what a difference in attitude and service. DL far outshines!
Glad to hear about the 125K enhancements!
Keep up the good work!
Old Jun 28, 2007, 1:36 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Jeff, thanks as always for posting.

Here are a few common themes that you should consider addressing:

**Potential dilution of status (especially PM) due to ability to earn up to 65k "bonus" MQMs this year
**Ability of medallions to pre-reserve exit row seating on int'l flights

As an aside, thanks for the teaser regarding incentives for 125k MQMs. Do you know when the details should arrive? It could affect my choice of whether to take 25k MQMs vs. 25k redeemable miles in the current promotion.

Thanks again.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 1:41 pm

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
The incentive program is boosting morale and service higher than it has been lately. I just got off of a call and it felt like I was hanging up on family!

A good job all around.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by res1968
Jeff,

Any comments or updates on medallions being able to reserve exit row seats at booking for international flights? See link below for discussion on FT.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=702969

res1968
Ditto. That is my biggest issue with Delta right now as well.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 1:46 pm

Programs: Not enough to count anymore
customer service feedback

Originally Posted by RealDLInsider
All,

Hope all has been going well over the last few weeks and that our employees have been delivering a level of service that meets your expectations. The company has invested and will continue to spend significant dollars in improving our customer experience, which we all know starts with our employees. Not only have we invested in training, we have created a “pay for performance” culture which rewards employees (top-down) for meeting top-tier operational and service objectives. Clearly, we can’t always get everything perfect, and heaven knows for some of you, we’ve done more wrong than right, but an overall reduction in the number of complaints, recent internal survey data, this year’s JD power scoring, and what appears to be an increase in positive feedback, certainly feels like we might be heading in the right direction. Would love to hear some of your thoughts on this?

Jeff
Jeff,

As always, thank you again for your input into the board. I would like to give some feedback on the Customer Service aspect. I have seen a remarkable improvement in staff morale during this year and while not everything is perfect, any bumps were handled promptly and professionally.

The one area which I strongly urge Delta to continue to improve is feedback to compliments. I have sent probably 8-10 emails to Delta through the website over the last year which have been a mix of both compliments and complaints. The complaints have always been answered within 3 days by the medallion desk. Compliments, however, have been largely ignored. This is very frustrating as I even put in the compliment that I have not heard back during previous feedback I would request someone to reply so I know it was properly shared. It is discouraging to take time out of my day to give someone praise who deserves it only to find out the message could go un-noticed. I would be more willing to provide positive feedback with the acknowledgment which comes from a reply.

Glad to see you enjoyed Dubai and am looking forward to my first business trip at the end of the year!
Old Jun 28, 2007, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Jeff, thanks for the update and the comments on Dubai. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

I'll wait for the suites before I fly over though - save a SkySaver BusinessElite award for me
Old Jun 28, 2007, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by RealDLInsider
On the network side of the business, we continue to add new service from our JFK hub and will continue to invest in the customer experience in all of New York.
That's essential if some of your new routes, like JFK-PSA, are going to succeed. The inbound flight lands in the afternoon, (as does TXL and ATH) and after clearing customs there is generally just one Comair option for most connecting pax. Comair at JFK is a mess, and brings shame to the entire DL operation. Depending on a connection to the last flight of the day when returning TATL is not advisable.

Sit around gate 23 some evening when there is a little rainstorm anywhere in the midwest or east coast, and listen to the passengers. They DO NOT DISTINGUISH between Comair and DL- they sit around complaining about DL, and about the terrible DL operation they are experiencing. Tell them it's Comair and not DL, and they give you a blank look.

So-my suggestion: Dump Comair, go mainline out of JFK, add more evening flights to major destinations, and use real airplanes instead of Barbie jets.

Mrs. Gargoyle has already made 4 trips to PSA this year; three through MXP and one (the inaugural, with me) through JFK. She and I agree that the PSA-JFK is great, but she won't take that route alone, because of the common risk of getting stranded at JFK on the return. (and when things go bad, the Comair GA's are useless, and DL gets the blame). We're more comfortable with AZ through MXP.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
It is always interesting to read about Delta--that's why most of us participate in this forum--but I wonder, Jeff, if this kind of generic information might be better sent out a newsletter to your Delta.com mailinglist (which a lot more people will see) and, instead, reserve your postings to the FlyerTalk.com Delta Forum for response to the issues that readers of this forum are asking about? Again, always nice to read about all the good things going on at Delta, but I am disappointed that there is very little "insider" information that addresses the many problems formers are bringing to your attention. Obviously, no one would expect you to address them all, but maybe...one?....two?
Old Jun 28, 2007, 2:21 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by rhetor
It is always interesting to read about Delta--that's why most of us participate in this forum--but I wonder, Jeff, if this kind of generic information might be better sent out a newsletter to your Delta.com mailinglist (which a lot more people will see) and, instead, reserve your postings to the FlyerTalk.com Delta Forum for response to the issues that readers of this forum are asking about? Again, always nice to read about all the good things going on at Delta, but I am disappointed that there is very little "insider" information that addresses the many problems formers are bringing to your attention. Obviously, no one would expect you to address them all, but maybe...one?....two?
I'll second that motion. ^^

Great information, but as pointed out it is generic. We'd like info on what our concerns are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.