Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Amex Is Aware of the Change In SkySaver Availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2007, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, HH Gold, Starwood Platinum, Avis First

I received an interesting call from American Express last evening. They were calling to remind me of the benefits of using my Delta Skymiles Amex card. Hmm...not trying to sell me anything, just encouraging me to use the card.

The Amex rep touted the ability to earn free flights for just 25,000 miles. I commented on the dramatic reduction in Sky Saver availability at the 25,000 level. Now of course these telemarketers have scripted responses to most potential objections, and the guy launches his spiel about "checking availability on partner airlines like Continental and Northwest" or "try flying First Class and you'll find more SkySavers".

I figure if a telephone jockey has scripted responses for my comments/objections, then I must not be the only one who has brought the issue up with American Express. Maybe Amex is considering severing their relationship with Delta? Or maybe Delta is working with Amex to gauge cardholder reaction to the change in award availability?

Things that make you go, "Hmmm...."
Old Jun 12, 2007, 6:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, LA, WN, SPG Plat, MR Gold
Hmmm...
Old Jun 12, 2007, 6:13 am

Me too

I got the same call last week.

Had to laugh when she mentioned free flight for just 25,000 miles. Told her it was next to impossible. Don't remember her response.

I thought she was calling to sell me some "service," but didn't happen.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 7:47 am

Programs: SkyMiles Silver, OnePass Gold, AAdvantage Gold, AS, NW, US, UA, LH
The drastic reduction in SkySaver awards is definitely going to hurt the Delta / Amex relationship, no question about it.

Why would I be interested in a Delta Amex card if I need to spend 50,000 dollars to earn a free domestic coach ticket (valued at less than 500 dollars) when I can spend 50,000 dollars on a Starwood Amex card and earn FIVE free nights at a Level 4 property (and there are some VERY nice Level 4 properties in some GREAT locations). Five nights at a Level 4 Starwood in a sweet location is worth at least 1500 dollars.

Sounds like a no-brainer to me if Delta is going to stick with making it next to impossible to get the SkySavers.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:03 am

To Amex

Sent this to Amex...

Lack of awards on Delta at the saver level has made amex card worthless.
You will notice recent lack of use of this card.

If the situation is not corrected by renewal time,card will be CANCELLED.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:08 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott G, Hilton G
Maybe this is why Amex has just started a 20% transfer bonus to DL. I agree with other posters that it is worth letting AMEX know we are unhappy about SS availability.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:10 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by amo66120
Sent this to Amex...

Lack of awards on Delta at the saver level has made amex card worthless.
You will notice recent lack of use of this card.

If the situation is not corrected by renewal time,card will be CANCELLED.
That's interesting. I have an around the world award booked in business class paid for at least partially by AMEX earned SkyMiles.

I had no problem redeeming 220,000 miles for this award, nor for the free trip in business class for a friend to Europe I booked just yesterday for travel in August on a combination of SkyTeam carriers including Delta.

To me, those SkyMiles are (still) worth thousands of dollars.

I guess the difference is that I know how the system works, and make it work to my advantage. This mostly due to FlyerTalk.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:28 am

Programs: SkyMiles Silver, OnePass Gold, AAdvantage Gold, AS, NW, US, UA, LH
Originally Posted by spgaston
That's interesting. I have an around the world award booked in business class paid for at least partially by AMEX earned SkyMiles.

I had no problem redeeming 220,000 miles for this award, nor for the free trip in business class for a friend to Europe I booked just yesterday for travel in August on a combination of SkyTeam carriers including Delta.

To me, those SkyMiles are (still) worth thousands of dollars.

I guess the difference is that I know how the system works, and make it work to my advantage. This mostly due to FlyerTalk.
Haven't you read that what Delta has done is they've developed a two-tier system. Plenty of Sky Saver award seats are available for Gold and Platinum Medallions. For the general members and the Silver Medallions they've basically taken the availability away (except for within a week of travel if the flight still carries a light load). So much for those people who used to be Gold Medallion and wanted to save their miles until they were no longer traveling as frequently for work.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:39 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by New York City Flyer
Haven't you read that what Delta has done is they've developed a two-tier system. Plenty of Sky Saver award seats are available for Gold and Platinum Medallions.
I assure you that when I look at available award tickets, the phrase "Plenty of Sky Saver award seats" does not even begin to speculate about the merest possibility of crossing my mind. To phrase it somewhat differently, the availability may be better but it still ain't great. Flexibility is required.

Also AFAIK, there is no increased availability of SkySaver F or J awards for Medallions.

David
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:43 am

Haven't you read that what Delta has done is they've developed a two-tier system. Plenty of Sky Saver award seats are available for Gold and Platinum Medallions. For the general members and the Silver Medallions they've basically taken the availability away (except for within a week of travel if the flight still carries a light load). So much for those people who used to be Gold Medallion and wanted to save their miles until they were no longer traveling as frequently for work.
Yes I have, and trust me my award success is not based on my status (except that I earn bonus miles when I fly). My awards are almost exclusively booked on partners, and medallion members do not get extra award availability in premium classes.
My RTW award includes these airlines:
AS, DL, AF, OK, KL, KE, and NW.

The Award I booked yesterday for my friend (and he does not get extra availability, nor as stated above do I get extra availability on partners or premium classes) is on DL, AF, and OK.

My point is that even though SkySavers may be nonexistent for general members, the value is unchanged if you know how to use them.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Haven't you read that what Delta has done is they've developed a two-tier system. Plenty of Sky Saver award seats are available for Gold and Platinum Medallions. For the general members and the Silver Medallions they've basically taken the availability away.
This is not unique to DL. I know AZ is the same- yesterday I booked an award ticket from AZ. Taking with the rep, it was real clear that as AZ elite+ I had access to availability which isn't there for general members.

The basic principle is sound- reward your better customers more than the occasional/minimal customers. However, it's a real balancing bame- they have to throw some bones to the general customers or they'll tick off their partners (such as AMEX, etc.)
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know Skymiles are less important to me than they used to be. I used to convert them to Hilton Hhonors points. Now that that is no longer an option, about the only thing I can use them for is flying -- I already read all the magazines I want to. But almost all of my flying is on the corporate dime. I would use Skymiles to upgrade to F, but my company would have a cow if I booked in Y, B, or M.

Basically, flying is no longer fun. I do it only to get to where I want to go. And where I want to go when I am not traveling on company business is to some fun spot with the kids -- at the same time that everyone else wants to fly there with their kids with their FF miles. So what good are the miles? Bring back the Hhonors conversion, PLEASE!
Old Jun 12, 2007, 2:21 pm

Thumbs down No Availability June 2007 - May 2008

Originally Posted by spgaston
Yes I have, and trust me my award success is not based on my status (except that I earn bonus miles when I fly). My awards are almost exclusively booked on partners, and medallion members do not get extra award availability in premium classes.
My RTW award includes these airlines:
AS, DL, AF, OK, KL, KE, and NW.

The Award I booked yesterday for my friend (and he does not get extra availability, nor as stated above do I get extra availability on partners or premium classes) is on DL, AF, and OK.

My point is that even though SkySavers may be nonexistent for general members, the value is unchanged if you know how to use them.
Congratulations to you on being smart enough to use your points. I guess I'm too dumb and a regular joe - not medallion or anything special.

I called Delta and asked for a SkySaver ticket from NY to Venice, either in economy or BE, on any day in 2008. They came up with NOTHING!! Checking on line showed no availability from today until May 2008, either in economy or BE. I didn't require a non-stop, just a seat on planes that would transport me from NY to Venice. I didn't have to travel during holiday time or carnivale, just any ole day. I didn't have to travel on Sunday or Thursday, but any day of the week. Get the picture. They came up with NOTHING!

So, maybe you should go into business booking SkySaver setas for the rest of us.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingHi4Now
Congratulations to you on being smart enough to use your points. I guess I'm too dumb and a regular joe - not medallion or anything special.

I called Delta and asked for a SkySaver ticket from NY to Venice, either in economy or BE, on any day in 2008. They came up with NOTHING!! Checking on line showed no availability from today until May 2008, either in economy or BE. I didn't require a non-stop, just a seat on planes that would transport me from NY to Venice. I didn't have to travel during holiday time or carnivale, just any ole day. I didn't have to travel on Sunday or Thursday, but any day of the week. Get the picture. They came up with NOTHING!

So, maybe you should go into business booking SkySaver setas for the rest of us.
Ummm, I feel like a broken record, but did you call the partner award desk and ask for availability on partner airlines such as AZ, AF, KL, OK, CO, etc.? Until then, your rant is baseless.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by avflyer
Maybe this is why Amex has just started a 20% transfer bonus to DL. I agree with other posters that it is worth letting AMEX know we are unhappy about SS availability.
Where did you read this? I could not find anything here
http://www.membershiprewards.com

Do you have a link?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.