Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta/AMEX $99 Companion Certificate--NOT!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2007, 4:52 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Oh? And hints on how to use them? I just called the number on my certificate. Both times I checked I was able to get at least $150 off retail and they were able to offer better flight times than the Amex platinum program.

FYI, I was booking for 11/7-11/11, which is a little more than 3 months out. Obviously if you want to travel during the summer, I'd call 6 months in advance.

The number is 800-325-1447. I simply read the certificate number to the agent and she issued the tickets electronically. ^
Old Aug 1, 2007, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by Recreation
I think Gold members only get 1 per year and it's upon renewal. Platinum members may get more, IIRC.
Both gold and platinum are 1 a year at renewal.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Pharaoh
Delta SkyMiles Amex. Gold offer is $99 co-pay on a pair of LUT fares and Platinum card offer is $0 co-pay on the same.
Are these ACTUAL certificates? I have had a DL Gold AMEX for 3 years now and have gotten NO companion fare things. I actually could have used it too
Old Aug 2, 2007, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by WBurcham
Are these ACTUAL certificates? I have had a DL Gold AMEX for 3 years now and have gotten NO companion fare things. I actually could have used it too
Yup, physical certificates. Mine come each year a few weeks after renewal (one each for the personal and business cards).
Old Aug 2, 2007, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by WBurcham
I believe the $99 certificate was part of the new gold benefits announced in January of this year. I've been gold for a few years, but this is the first year I received the $99 companion certificate. IIRC platinums used to get them but had to pay $99 for them. Now theirs is free, but gold is $99...?

My annual renewal date was in March, so I got the certificate after they received my March payment. My husband (gold card holder as well) has an October renewal and has not gotten his yet.

Last edited by Recreation; Aug 2, 2007 at 11:40 am
Old Aug 2, 2007, 12:19 pm

The certificates have always been free for platinum card holders. But the value has decreased over the years. When it first came out it was good for a companion international ticket, no restrictions at all. Then after a few years I believe there were class of service restrictions. Then domestic only and now with further restrictions. Eventually.....?
Old Aug 2, 2007, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Pharaoh
Eventually.....?
Check one bag, get another free??
Old Oct 14, 2007, 12:26 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton, Priority Club, USAir, American Express Membership Rewards, Ultimate Rew, United
I paid my renewel in August for my delta gold amex. What can I expect the envelope with the certificate to look like with the $99 certificate? Thanks!
Old Nov 28, 2007, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Carter29072
I paid my renewel in August for my delta gold amex. What can I expect the envelope with the certificate to look like with the $99 certificate? Thanks!
My husband hasn't gotten his yet either and the renewal was paid over 30 days ago. Hmmm.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 11:36 pm

Programs: DL PM,1MM
Originally Posted by El Boocho
What markets are you trying to book? I just ran several searches with flights leaving PDX on a Friday and returning on a Sunday. These would seem to me to be the flights least likely to have L/U/T fares still available. On each search I was able to find L/U?t tickets. This was for travel a 2-4 weeks from now.

L, U & T fares are very common. There is no consumer fraud here.
I just tried using mine; was told there wasn't any availability. Then I go to the Delta website, and see lots of L, U, T fares. Not sure exactly what's going on. I guess I need to do my own search, and then tell them what flights to pick - which really defeats the purpose of requiring us to call the promotions line to get our tickets. I hope an e-version of the certificate is coming!
Old Nov 29, 2007, 2:59 am

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton, Priority Club, USAir, American Express Membership Rewards, Ultimate Rew, United
After calling, I did receive my certificate in the mail. Don't have immediate plans to use it but it will come in handy when I do use it. The last companion certificate I used (USAIR) was a breeze to use so hopefully this one will be also. Thanks.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by brazzleman
I just tried using mine; was told there wasn't any availability. Then I go to the Delta website, and see lots of L, U, T fares. Not sure exactly what's going on. I guess I need to do my own search, and then tell them what flights to pick - which really defeats the purpose of requiring us to call the promotions line to get our tickets. I hope an e-version of the certificate is coming!
The problem is that the promotions line people are poorly trained employees in the oft discussed Indian call center.

Now that I made a negative comment about the Indian call center this thread will be closed.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 12:32 pm

Programs: Delta, HHonors Diamond
Weird.. I didn't get mine in July. I guess I get to call AMEX - Yippieeee!
Old Dec 20, 2007, 9:50 am

Programs: Varying levels of elite and non-elite across several vendors.
$20 fee avoidance?

Is it possible to avoid the $20 call center fee somehow on these $99 Companion certs? I called today and found that I'd be saving a whopping total of $20 instead of $40 on a Jan trip to FLL.

Seems like a waste and not much value. Not sure why they don't have a way to book these online.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
On DL's site make sure that you click on "full search options" and they under "Preferences" pick fare class. Under fare class you can search for "Coach T or higher". This should help you locate LUT fares.
I wish you could toggle the direction, so instead of "T and higher", I could select "L and lower". I guess the "x and higher" is for people looking for upgradeable fares.

Another post talked about trying to avoid the $20/ticket phone fee. Another thread talked about talking to an SMS agent to put your flights on hold, then going online to delta.com, and paying for them there. There seemed to be some success with this. However, when I called for ticketing information last night, I wanted the flights put on hold (partly to give me time to discuss with others, also because I thought I'd need to drive to airport today to hand in certificate). The agent said I wouldn't need to present the certificate anymore, but they also couldn't hold the tickets (it's immediate purchase over the phone).
I might try that with a different agent tonight. The extra $40 in phone fees is ridiculous, since apparently there's no Delta provides for using the voucher that doesn't involve a fee.

Jeff

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.