Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to get Delta Skymiles when flying on Continental?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2007, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles

I am booking a flight from Seattle to Ecuador. Delta flies from SEA to GYE but the Delta cost is about $500 more than Continental. I read somewhere that you can get Delta miles on other Skyteam airlines, but will Delta allow me to get miles on Continental when they fly SEA to GYE also?
Old Jun 5, 2007, 11:44 pm

yes, subject to some limitations based on fare class you can earn delta skymiles on continental flights. More details are available on Delta's web site:

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/ways_t...sp#continental
Old Jun 6, 2007, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Thanks for the information.

I have probably missed out on a lot of skymiles by not presenting my number when flying other airlines. I will always present my skymiles number with the ticket agent when checking in no matter what airline. Just to be safe!
Old Jun 6, 2007, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Scootermimi
I have probably missed out on a lot of skymiles by not presenting my number when flying other airlines. I will always present my skymiles number with the ticket agent when checking in no matter what airline. Just to be safe!
Hi, Scootermimi. Welcome to Flyertalk.

Using a FF# other than the airline you're flying on is commonly done. However, it is not always a smooth process. You should begin the process of adding your FF# as soon as you have made the reservation. It may involve a phone call to the airline you are flying, as not all websites have that capability. You will feel more confident once you've seen the number online or on your BP. It can be a major hassle trying to get credit after the flight and virtually impossible to fix if it gets credited to the wrong program. I have learned the hard way not to take the agents word at check-in that the correct number is in the record. Make sure it shows on your BP.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 9:12 pm

Programs: DL PM/KM, AC *G, AS MVP-100K
Potentially more miles, fewer MQMs

Originally Posted by Scootermimi
I am booking a flight from Seattle to Ecuador. Delta flies from SEA to GYE but the Delta cost is about $500 more than Continental. I read somewhere that you can get Delta miles on other Skyteam airlines, but will Delta allow me to get miles on Continental when they fly SEA to GYE also?
Not only can you earn DL miles by flying CO, but connecting through EWR rather than ATL on this particular routing will earn more miles (5387 each way compared to 4660, assuming a single connection; IAH is slightly less at 4309).

However, if you are concerned about status, note that Q/I/S/W/T/X/L fare classes on CO earn only 50% MQMs. http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...sp#continental
Old Jun 6, 2007, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Yeah, that was few 50% medallions is not good for CO was always gave you half miles. You should rather to take on DL is much better than CO. I thinkable DL could be increased all class fare with L, T, X, S, Q. DL will pleasurable CO will increased the medallions qualification all lower fares on CO partner with DL. Please let DL will change their mind if SkyMiles manager will increased all lower-fare from CO.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 1:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by N830MH
Yeah, that was few 50% medallions is not good for CO was always gave you half miles. You should rather to take on DL is much better than CO. I thinkable DL could be increased all class fare with L, T, X, S, Q. DL will pleasurable CO will increased the medallions qualification all lower fares on CO partner with DL. Please let DL will change their mind if SkyMiles manager will increased all lower-fare from CO.
Not quite sure what you're saying here. CO will not eliminate its 50% eqm scheme. I keep hearing (from various levels of management) that it's good for the company and there are no plans to change it.

There are still issues with respect to CO / DL pricing, but for the $500 fare difference, you can probably do a couple cheap mileage runs to make up for the lost EQMs from the 50% on CO.

If you didn't earn any miles on your past flights on CO (i.e. there is no frequent flyer number in your record or on your boarding passes), gather up your receipt and your boarding passes. Write a letter to DL Skymiles asking for retroactive credit, tell them the routing, flight numbers, and fare classes, and you should be able to get credit for the miles (there may be a time limit on this though).

Finally, keep in mind that there are earned / banked miles and eqms. First, you will get full banked miles for the trip (i.e. without any bonuses, you fly 1000 miles, 1000 miles get deposited to your account). Then there are eqms, which serve no purpose other than track your progress to elite status. So if you buy a cheap fare on CO that only earns 50% eqms and the trip is a single segment that is 1000 miles, you'll end up with 1000 miles in your SkyMiles account that you can use for whatever you want, but you will only get credited with 500 miles toward elite qualification.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.