Search

What to expect JFK->PDX

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Gold 75, Starwood Gold, Virgin Gold
What to expect JFK->PDX

Hello All-

I just booked the new JFK-PDX for next week.

What can I expect in terms of IFE/food? Do I need to provide my own entertainment on a 738? Or will they have the seat back video screens I've seen on the 757? Is there a meal? Buy on board? Nada?

TIA
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
If you are flying coach, I wouldn't expect much. If it is a 738, there will probably be entertainment on overhead monitors. Food with be a snack basket thing, so bring your own. You should learn much from the Delta website.

http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...ices/index.jsp
Old Apr 27, 2007, 9:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, CO, AA, Marriott Silver, HHonors Silver, Hyatt Platinum
When to show up at JFK?

I too am flying JFK-PDX next Saturday for my first MR. (Actually, it's JFK-SLC-PDX-JFK.) This will be my first mainline DL flight in probably 18 or 20 years, and first transcon ever--I spend most of my time these days going back and forth on the very civilized DL Shuttle LGA-DCA.

Since it's just a day trip to PDX I won't have any checked baggage, and I'm planning to use OLCI before I leave work the night before. But I'm hearing reports from co-workers that DL's JFK operation "is a zoo". The JFK-SLC flight departs at 7:00 am--can anyone give me a sense of how much time should I allow for dealing with the security theater? And am I being foolish by even contemplating taking the subway/AirTrain from western Queens at that time of day?

The TSA claims a max. 8 minute queue, but I don't know how accurate their survey is:

http://waittime.tsa.dhs.gov/search?a...&submit=SUBMIT

To keep this on-topic, I have to say that I'm curious to see what DL's mainline flights are like, as most of my leisure travel since college has been on CO's LGA-IAH route (not bad, even in coach), with one very unenjoyable UA LGA-ORD-CWA round-trip for work this past winter.

Nuyawkr
Old Apr 27, 2007, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA *G
Just flew PDX-JFK last weekend..
Redeye was a snack sandwich, plane was 738 with song seats but no personal IFE yet.
Services from JFK-based crew were good.. enjoy the flight. They were selling $150 upgrades at the gate.

-A
Old Apr 28, 2007, 3:19 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by nuyawkr
But I'm hearing reports from co-workers that DL's JFK operation "is a zoo". The JFK-SLC flight departs at 7:00 am--can anyone give me a sense of how much time should I allow for dealing with the security theater? And am I being foolish by even contemplating taking the subway/AirTrain from western Queens at that time of day?
Check-in for a 7am departure shouldn't be bad at all - you should miss the crowds as the bulk of the morning departures are between 8 and 9. Try to check in online and print out your boarding passes already. Also, if security at any of the checkpoints in Terminal 3 looks really bad, you can always try the Terminal 2 TSA checkpoint (it's always rather empty especially in the A.M.)
Old Apr 28, 2007, 8:05 pm

Flew the JFK-PDX on Thursday night. $150 upgrades available to non-L/U/T fares. And no seat-back video, just the overhead screens.

Snack in Y was raisins, shortbread cookie, cheese spread and super-small crackers.

The evening international traffic is rough at JFK, as there was about 1hr 30min taxi time before the wheels were off the ground.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 1:43 pm
Suspended

That flight to salt lake city is so early that traffic really shouldnt be too bad at all, plus you are a saturday? I would personlly just drive. I dont even know if airtran runs 24 hours a day? im sure if you go the PA wesbite you can find out. the traffic around JFK is so horrific that i love taking the subway to airtran but the airtran from the subway station to the delta terminal takes a good ten minutes if i remember correctly so leave plenty of time, if it is even running that early in the morning
Old Apr 29, 2007, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, CO, AA, Marriott Silver, HHonors Silver, Hyatt Platinum
I'm pretty sure AirTrain runs 24 hours.

If I'm reading the MTA/PA timetables correctly, it takes about 30 minutes + time for transfers to get from Western Queens to Sutphin Blvd on the #7 and E trains. Figure another 30 minutes for AirTrain + misc. wandering around. Driving is not an option, as I don't have a car.

I don't expect traffic to be v. bad that time of day, I just don't want to shell out for a car service for what is supposed to be a quick and inexpensive leisure trip.

At least on a T fare I won't be tempted by the $150 gate upgrades--and after this trip I'll finally be FO.

Nuyawkr
Old Apr 29, 2007, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by nuyawkr
I'm pretty sure AirTrain runs 24 hours.

If I'm reading the MTA/PA timetables correctly, it takes about 30 minutes + time for transfers to get from Western Queens to Sutphin Blvd on the #7 and E trains. Figure another 30 minutes for AirTrain + misc. wandering around. Driving is not an option, as I don't have a car.
Airtrain runs 24/7 and at least every 12 minutes from Jamaica. Security line might be faster at the front of T3 where they used to have B/E checkin (the airtain signs still refer to it as B/E checkin).
Old Apr 29, 2007, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA *G
Also just remmebered, when I flew PDX-JFK.. a lot of upgrades cleared at the gate, despite there being tons of V availability.. might've just been a bug.

-A

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.