Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Bonus opportunity

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2007, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by SlowTrekker
You can definitely cross e-Miles off that list.
Well no. For some of us, the Q1 eMiles are just posting now and will show up before May 31st.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold, MR Plat
Originally Posted by rrgg
Well no. For some of us, the Q1 eMiles are just posting now and will show up before May 31st.
Agreed, just got my confirmation email yesterday that they will be transferring the 500 miles within the next 6-8 weeks.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 7:00 pm

Thanks so much for your thoughts on this issue. It's funny, I read the T&C's as meaning that only one of the group of partners actually listed would qualify. I also assumed that an Amex Membership Rewards transfer would count seperately from an Delta Amex miles posting. Oh boy...we need help with these T & C's!!!

As for the dines and shopping merchants counting seperately, I'm holding out hope that each transaction will count as a "unique partner activity" as they have in the past with promos given by both NW and AA.

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
I think what the subject inarticulate language was attempting to say was that you could have one, and only one, "activity" for each SkyRewards partner.

It can, indeed, be read restricitvely and that of all the examples that they listed, only one of that group would qualify once, but that seems ridiculous.

So, too, is the supposition that an IDINE at each DL accepting restaurant or purchase through the DL mall, would each qualify for one acitivity, almost ad infinitum.

A tougher one is a points to miles transfer from both AMEX and D/C, for example, can you do both to get credit, or will only one of the above be permitted to earn credit. Have no idea, but upon second thought, I believe they are each unique activities.

The only overlap of different activities -- where you are limited to only one -- is earnig DL miles thru either a hotel stay or hotel points transfer activity. In this case, one such activity counts for the other, as well.

Isn't there a DL Insider lurking here, or something?

My take on this promotion:

DL and Airline partner flights -- Do Not Count

Car Rental Partners -- http://www.delta.com/skymiles/ways_t...ners/index.jsp

Each would count as a uinque and separate activity.

Credit Card Partners -- http://www.delta.com/skymiles/ways_t...ners/index.jsp

Any of those listed, count only once for fulfilling this entire class of activity.

Dining, Retail, & Other Partners -- http://www.delta.com/skymiles/ways_t...ners/index.jsp

Each Category listed and/or each partner so identified specifically within a given category can count, but only once. The rules seem to lump Great American Days and Vinesse and Java City as all counting as satisfying a single activity, but as can seen by the above link, the former is not even within the same category as Java City, and it seems illogical that these two distinct activities would apparently qualify to the exclusion of the other. But who knows?

Hotel Partners -- http://www.delta.com/skymiles/ways_t...ners/index.jsp

Each Hotel Family Chain Counts As One Activity, BUT, a stay at any of the hotels within a given grouping or family will satisfy the activity for that hotel chain, to the exclusion of any other stays at sister hotels within the family (A DoubleTree stay that earns DL miles will, therefore, exclude counting your earning DL miles at Hilton, Hampton, E/S, etc. as each being an separate activity for the purposes for this promotion; however, you will still earn DL miles for the other stays should you wish.)

Convert Partner Points to Miles -- http://www.delta.com/skymiles/ways_t...ners/index.jsp

This is the tricky one. You can do each of the activities listed and they will each count as a separate activity, EXCEPT, converting hotel points from a specific chain to DL miles and earning DL miles from a specific hotel stay within a chain family. In the above instance, conversion will satisfy the latter, or vice-versa, and you will be limited to only one of these activities as counting as a separte activity for the purposes of the bonus. Remember, however, activities of seaparate hotel family chains are each unique and different from one another and each chain's activity will be considered a separate activity.

Internet & Telephone Partners -- http://www.delta.com/skymiles/ways_t...ners/index.jsp

Real Estate & Financial Partners -- http://www.delta.com/skymiles/ways_t...ners/index.jsp

Vacation & Cruise Partners --http://www.delta.com/skymiles/ways_t...ners/index.jsp

Buy Miles --http://www.delta.com/skymiles/ways_t...iles/index.jsp

It appears that only buying miles for yourself would satisfy this unique acitivity under this promotion.

I hope this proves helpful to some!
Old Apr 5, 2007, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by SlowTrekker
You can definitely cross e-Miles off that list. They only transfer miles "after" the end of a calendar quarter, which will be May 31st, the same day the promotion ends.
What is your definition of a calendar quarter? My vote is for 2Q to end at the end of June.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by indufan
What is your definition of a calendar quarter? My vote is for 2Q to end at the end of June.
Doh... "
Old Apr 5, 2007, 10:45 pm

Programs: Marriott -Plat. Hilton -Diamond
My E-miles posted April 3rd... so I don't know what you are talking "after May 31st"
Old Apr 5, 2007, 11:26 pm
Suspended

RGG--

Understood. All is well with the world.

JudyFLA --

Danger Will Robinson!!

Transfering Marriott Rewards points into DL miles and staying at a Marriott family hotel and earning DL miles is a bigg No-NO per the rules of this promotion!!

You can do one or the other to get an "activity" but you cannot do both and hope to get two (2) "activities"!!!

That is the one tricky area per the rules that is clear ... for once. You can transfer in from Hilton and stay at a Marriott and earn DL miles or vice-versa, but you cannot both transfer in from the same hotel family and also stay at that family to earn two (2) activities.

Now, here is one for all you fans, I happen to sometimes use the Airmilesmart portal to earn SPG points as that is the one program that I am "light" in -- after all, three hotel families is hard enough to maintain!!

Anyway, although I usually will choose to earn SPG points with my earnings, I could earn DL miles. However, this points to miles transfer is not even listed on the DL website as any kind of partner!!

I guess I will forgo this unless I get close to earning another 5,000 miles (I forecast that I will only be able to achieve the bonus once, I believe) but if anyone decides to find out from DL whether this company likewise would be a partner in which an "activity" would count towards one's total, please post as I would be quite grateful for any information on same!

Thanks!
Old Apr 5, 2007, 11:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by classc1
Thanks so much for your thoughts on this issue. It's funny, I read the T&C's as meaning that only one of the group of partners actually listed would qualify. I also assumed that an Amex Membership Rewards transfer would count seperately from an Delta Amex miles posting. Oh boy...we need help with these T & C's!!!

Good point as I was thinking the same thing that it might not! However, I decided that had they wished to consider these two things as overlapping like the hotel situation noted in a couple of my posts above, they would have stated as much and excluded one or the other.

In addition, no one has pointed this out yet, but there happens to be a similar situation with Hertz. It appears that one can both transfer Hertz Gold points into DL miles, as well as earn DL miles on a Hertz rental.

Inasmuch as they have not excluded that situation -- like the AMEX situation you described above -- then I have concluded that whether or not they meant to limit such activities to an either/or situation, they did not do so, and therefore, both should count as activities.

I think their reasoning -- which I cannot quarrel with in this instance, if this was their thinking -- was that it is quite easy to both transfer hotel points into DL miles and earn DL miles from a hotel stay. I guess they reasoned that this would be too easy for people to do -- after all there are a number of chains where one can do this -- that they decided to limit a person to doing one or the other per hotel family to qualify as an acitivty.

But again, no one knows for sure.

Originally Posted by classc1
As for the dines and shopping merchants counting seperately, I'm holding out hope that each transaction will count as a "unique partner activity" as they have in the past with promos given by both NW and AA.
Really? I did not know that, although I don't pay much attention to NW since I earn both CO and DL miles, NW is overkill and only accomplishes that I stretch myself too thin to the detriment of building a sufficient kitty of points in any one program, let alone three, SkyTeam members.

As for AA which I earn IDINE points, I did not know that, but I think you will be sadly mistaken. After all, it would be a cinch to earn 25,000 miles from just patronizing 25 different IDINE restaurants -- with no $$ threshold to boot!

DL's 25,000 mile IDINE bonus was not even close to being so easy -- as I am sure that you know -- so I seriously doubt that DL will give such an interpretation to either the IDINE program or the SkyMiles shopping program. But one can always hope.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 11:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by travelingfool23
Does having a meal at a Hilton or Marriott count as activity? Seems like it should, but how would they collect your FT number?
It won't count. You only earn air miles if you have a hotel stay. Moreover, with Marriott, you must designate air miles instead of hotel points -- which I prefer -- but under Hilton you still can earn both.

But a meal will not generate points that will be transferred to DL -- only a hotel stay will do that.

At SPG hotels you can earn SPG points if you eat at the hotel restaurant, even if you are not staying there, but you would still have to transfer enough SPG points to DL to achieve this activity, anyway.

Yes, so too, with eating at a Marriott and using a Marriott credit card or the same at a Hilton, but either of those transfers simply would need to be aggregated with sufficient points to transfer to DL. Moreover, the points from such dines might not even hit one's account before the promotion is over. So, sorry, but that will not work. Only staying at those hotels and designating earning DL miles will ensure a fairly rapid transfer into your DL account.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 11:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rrgg
Wow. I'm very sorry NJUPINTHEAIR. I wasn't trying to be offensive. I've been burned by promo gotchas before and am not giving the benefit of the doubt until Delta responds to my email. I hope I'm wrong.

My comment about "partner" was just to point out some irony.

Here's my take:
  1. Delta Buy Miles: 1 eligible transaction
  2. Delta Gift Miles: do not count
  3. Delta Transfer Miles: do not count
  4. DL and partner flights: do not count
  5. Car rentals: 1 eligible transaction per rental company
  6. Hotels: 1 eligible transaction per hotel family, where transaction means 1 stay or 1 points conversion
  7. SkyMiles Credit Card: 1 eligible transaction
  8. Starwood points conversion: 1 eligible transaction
  9. AMEX MR points conversion: 1 eligible transaction
  10. Points.com points conversion or sign-up bonus: 1 eligible transaction
  11. GoldPoints points conversion: 1 eligible transaction
  12. eMiles: 1 eligible transaction
  13. eRewards: 1 eligible transaction
  14. MyCokeRewards: 1 eligible transaction (This is only speculation as new awards will be available 4/15/07)
  15. Any other non-hotel point conversions: 1 eligible transaction per point program
  16. RewardNetwork SkyMiles Dining: 1 eligible dine regardless of number of restaurants
  17. Internet, Telephone, Real Estate, Financial, Vacation, Cruise Partners: 1 eligible transaction per partner
  18. Ameriprise insurance quote 1 eligible posting of miles; Might not count if you also do the Ameriprise financial consultation?
  19. Great American Days: 1 eligible transaction
  20. SkyMiles Clothing Care: 1 eligible transaction (or 500 mile sign-up bonus)
  21. SCANA: 1 eligible transaction
  22. 1-800-Flowers, FTD, Biscoff, Java City, Lather, Netflix, Organic Bouquet, Samsonite, SkyMall, SkyMilesShopping, Vinesse: Only the first purchase from any of these counts
The last one seems crazy, but that's how the current T&C read to me. Logically, they should allow 1 eligible purchase at SkyMilesShopping, 1 at SkyMall, 1 at Java City, and so on.

Excellent analysis!! ^

# 14 -- I agree with your speculation and hope that it is true, but DL could take the position that since it was not listed as an eligible partner, it will not be counted. Remains to bee seen on 4/15 if they even offer DL miles again, but if they do, it is worth it to do if the conversion is decent. However, I would not count on it without hearing anything from DL. So, it may work, but you never know with these bozos!

#15 -- That is squarely my AirmilesMart example. I don't know but they could take a similar position as I have outlined above and then one would be SOL. Inasmuch as SPG points are worth more to me than the DL miles, I would have to be certain that that such a transfer would count before taking the plunge.

What is certain that would work under this example, however, is a transfer from Diners Club to DL. Did this very thing yesterday, as a matter of fact.

#18 -- I would go with the auto insurance quote but I would not count on both insurance quotes as counting as two separate acitivites. They may well be and they may give you credit, but I certainly could see them saying that you got an insurance quote from the very same company and that you are not entitled to do this twice -- case closed. So, one is one their own when it comes to this one.

#19 -- I agree with you on this since there presently is a bonus going on and you are to be awarded the 500 miles without even dropping off any clothes. This situation is different from the one posited by another poster who thought that just sigining up for IDINE would work -- there is no sign up bonus so I don't think so, but just one paltry dine would suffice. Inquirer, go to the IDINE section of this forum and read the posts. Actually, IDIDE is a great way to earn DL miles since there recently was a whopping 25,000 mile bonus to be earned if you satisfied the terms and conditons of that offering!

Getting back to the clothing scheme, it should work, so long as the bonus miles are transferred into your account by 5/31!! I have signed up for this, but I am not counting my chickens until I see those miles in my account before 5/31!!

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Apr 6, 2007 at 12:13 am
Old Apr 5, 2007, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by threedjmay
My E-miles posted April 3rd... so I don't know what you are talking "after May 31st"
The after "May 31st" applies to those who would be trying to start using E-Miles now. Only those people that had more than 500 miles on March 31st will be able to use e-miles for this promotion, as the next transfer date for e-Miles wont be until after June.

I guess I will forgo this unless I get close to earning another 5,000 miles (I forecast that I will only be able to achieve the bonus once, I believe) but if anyone decides to find out from DL whether this company likewise would be a partner in which an "activity" would count towards one's total, please post as I would be quite grateful for any information on same!

Thanks!
I'm afraid I don't quite follow you... If you're talking about AirMilesMart, then since you don't actually earn miles through it, but rather through SPG, AirMilesMart wont count as a partner. SPG will, however, count as a partner, but only once out of any hotel stays or point earnings. SPG Direct Transfer counts the same as an SPG transfer.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 12:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rbessler
I'm afraid I don't quite follow you... If you're talking about AirMilesMart, then since you don't actually earn miles through it, but rather through SPG, AirMilesMart wont count as a partner. SPG will, however, count as a partner, but only once out of any hotel stays or point earnings. SPG Direct Transfer counts the same as an SPG transfer.
What I meant to say is that one can build up 500 AMM points that can be converted into DL or AA (for a short time left) or US AIR miles or SPG points.

I usually choose to earn SPG points but I would forego them in this one instance and instead designte to transfer them as DL miles, if I was sure that the transfer from AMM to DL would count as an activity.

However, AMM is no where designated on the DL website as even a Sky Miles partner, let alone a participant in this bonus program, so I am not so sure that even if I were to transfer and choose this once to convert the points into DL miles that I would be successful in counting that transfer as an "activity" under the terms of this promotion. Just don't know.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 12:29 am

What I meant to say is that one can build up 500 AMM points that can be converted into DL or AA (for a short time left) or US AIR miles or SPG points
Wow, I feel like an idiot. I knew about AA, SPG, and (soon) US, but I completely scanned over the Delta Logo. I was under the assumption that it wasn't a partner, but since it is...

Excellent question. Has anyone ever transferred to Delta? I'd be weary of this without some kind of confirmation, because if it works the same way as SPG, then it won't count. With Starwood, it appears they simply buy the miles, and so when it posts to my account it appears to just be a generic Starpoint purchase.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 12:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rbessler
Wow, I feel like an idiot. I knew about AA, SPG, and (soon) US, but I completely scanned over the Delta Logo. I was under the assumption that it wasn't a partner, but since it is...

Excellent question. Has anyone ever transferred to Delta? I'd be weary of this without some kind of confirmation, because if it works the same way as SPG, then it won't count. With Starwood, it appears they simply buy the miles, and so when it posts to my account it appears to just be a generic Starpoint purchase.
If it appears as a point purchase then that would be great as that is one of the cited activities that would count!

But I just don't know!!

If anyone can confirm from DL that it would count as an activity no matter how it was to be classified that would be fine by me.

But that brings up another question. If they do consider it a point purchase, then does the other "point purchase" preclude you from doing this, if you had wanted to?

You know, why don't they just give Randy a heads up on these things so he can get a group of us together and then spin this by us -- for some extra FF miles.

I'm sure it would be more cost effective than their running it by their suits who -- if this is any example of their command of their SkyMiles progam -- are hopelessly over their heads in this matter.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 1:19 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Clarification, I am staying at a Fairfield this weekend and have chosen Delta Miles for this stay. Sorry if the MR was confused as Marriott, it is the Amex below.

I am staying also at a Hilton Garden Inn the next night and have the stay miles posted to my Delta account.

Third night, Embassy Suites (hilton) posting to British Airways to keep that account alive. If I am staying in Orlando 3 nights I may as well change hotels every night

The two Hilton stays will count for 5000 bonus Hilton Points via the Coke 400 MCR Points = 5000 Bonus Hilton points.

I transferred 1000 Amex Membership Rewards points to Delta.

I transferred 5000 Goldpoints to 500 Delta Miles

I transferred $25 from E-rewards for 500 Delta Miles - Usually go for the Hilton Points, but figured this was a better use this time.

Now up to 11 Activities for me, 5 for mom if you count lunch later today!!

JudyJFLA

PS, I had to laugh at Skymall's prices. a SandisK 2GB SD Card for $229!!

RGG--

Understood. All is well with the world.

JudyFLA --

Danger Will Robinson!!

Transfering Marriott Rewards points into DL miles and staying at a Marriott family hotel and earning DL miles is a bigg No-NO per the rules of this promotion!!

You can do one or the other to get an "activity" but you cannot do both and hope to get two (2) "activities"!!!

That is the one tricky area per the rules that is clear ... for once. You can transfer in from Hilton and stay at a Marriott and earn DL miles or vice-versa, but you cannot both transfer in from the same hotel family and also stay at that family to earn two (2) activities.

Now, here is one for all you fans, I happen to sometimes use the Airmilesmart portal to earn SPG points as that is the one program that I am "light" in -- after all, three hotel families is hard enough to maintain!!

Anyway, although I usually will choose to earn SPG points with my earnings, I could earn DL miles. However, this points to miles transfer is not even listed on the DL website as any kind of partner!!

Thanks!

Last edited by JudyJFLA; Apr 6, 2007 at 1:36 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.