Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta Targets Emerging From Bankruptcy April 30th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Targets Emerging From Bankruptcy April 30th

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:35 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by Bulldog King
Interesting....

But would this be for international travel only?

Or will it also serve as a check-in point for Medallions traveling with checked baggage on domestic flights?

I would sure like to be able to check in at T2 since that's usually where my domestic flights depart from......instead of always having to check-in at T3 and then hike over to T2.
No, it will be for ALL Medallions and above for ALL flights...they called it a "Premium" terminal with dedicated TSA lines...should be in place by June before the summer rush. They will probably use the counters on the other side of the current BE check-in (used to be the check-in counter for Saudia)...

Incidentally, they have really spruced up T2 recently with new shops, carpeting, wider walking areas, etc.

Sounds like there is a huge focus on New York in the coming year (facilities at LGA and JFK)...as CFO Bastian said, DL "has to win in New York" and wants to establish New York as DL's "second base of profitability" after ATL.

Last edited by ClipperDelta; Mar 27, 2007 at 10:42 am
Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:53 am

Programs: DL, SPG (Gold)
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
No, it will be for ALL Medallions and above for ALL flights...they called it a "Premium" terminal with dedicated TSA lines...should be in place by June before the summer rush. They will probably use the counters on the other side of the current BE check-in (used to be the check-in counter for Saudia)...
Okay......

This sounds much better than checking in with the 'mob' at T3.

Heck...if it works well, I may end up always using T2 even if it means the occasional hike over to T3.

That is...if it's actually open and staffed to handle early morning departures.

Incidentally, they have really spruced up T2 recently with new shops, carpeting, wider walking areas, etc.
I was last in that terminal about 2-3 weeks ago.....and many improvements were already apparent at that time.

Sounds like there is a huge focus on New York in the coming year (facilities at LGA and JFK)...as CFO Bastian said, DL "has to win in New York" and wants to establish New York as DL's "second base of profitability" after ATL.
Sounds good to me.

A.J.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:54 am

Programs: Delta
If they want to make JFK a success they had better figure out how to fix the commuter terminal.

It's mayhem over there.....
Old Mar 27, 2007, 11:26 am

Programs: Delta, SPG
Originally Posted by Brian286
If they want to make JFK a success they had better figure out how to fix the commuter terminal.

On the list of to-do. Also Dash-8s gone by late summer.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 11:29 am

Hmm...

When I flew out of JFK T2 on a Freedom Air DH8 earlier this year, I didn't experience any 'issues' with departing from that area.

Sure....it's a bit different than regular gate areas......but it seemed at worst to be 'controlled chaos'.

Boardings were relatively organized.....with someone at the bottom of the ramp to direct you to your specific flight (when multiple flights were in the boarding process at the same time).

The only problems I could see were the result of last minute gate changes.......which didn't seem that hard to rectify given how close the gates are in that area.

IMO, they simply need a larger main monitor.........perhaps something similar in size to what Amtrak uses at LA's Union Station to show train status.

A.J.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 11:38 am

Hmm...

When I flew out of JFK T2 on a Freedom Air DH8 earlier this year, I didn't experience any 'issues' with departing from that area.

Sure....it's a bit different than regular gate areas......but it seemed at worst to be 'controlled chaos'.

Boardings were relatively organized.....with someone at the bottom of the ramp to direct you to your specific flight (when multiple flights were in the boarding process at the same time).

The only problems I could see were the result of last minute gate changes.......which didn't seem that hard to rectify given how close the gates are in that area.

IMO, they simply need a larger main monitor.........perhaps something similar in size to what Amtrak uses at LA's Union Station to show train status.

A.J.
Unfortunately that has not been my experience.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 11:43 am

Programs: AA Platinum; US Gold; DL Silver
Interesting article....especially this part:

As for Delta and its role in possible consolidation, Grinstein said, "Frankly, I see its future more as an acquirer rather than being acquired."

Grinstein said it's not out of the question that a major carrier could buy a low-cost carrier.

Hmm....I wonder which LCC he might be referring to.

A.J.
US Airways, of course!
Old Mar 27, 2007, 11:46 am

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat(x2), BMI Gold, IC Ambassador, etc
Originally Posted by FrequentHopper
US Airways, of course!
Doubtful, I would suspect this adds fuel to the B6 rumors going around...
Old Mar 27, 2007, 11:51 am

Unfortunately that has not been my experience.
What exactly are the problems that you have encountered at JFK T2's regional gates as compared to how things are handled at similar operations in other major airports?

Personally, I don't find the experience to be much different than my previous experiences with multiple regional flights that board from the same gate area......such as when boarding Horizon Air flights (SEA) or American Eagle (LAX or SJC).......and find it to be better than when Comair used 'Gate 11' at JFK T3......which IIRC, required climbing down stairs to boardi a bus in order to reach the plane. I much prefer the ramp and covered walkway to that.

A.J.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Platinum; US Gold; DL Silver
Originally Posted by gpan
Doubtful, I would suspect this adds fuel to the B6 rumors going around...
I know, I was just teasin'.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, AA 0.0 (US .975), Marriott Lifetime Plat, Nurburgring in 8:29
Great news, and an interesting twist. In the AJ-C article there is mention of selling off Comair. The Cincinnati Enquirer has a story on that.

I'm not sure how I feel about this.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 1:01 pm

Okay......

Heck...if it works well, I may end up always using T2 even if it means the occasional hike over to T3.

That is...if it's actually open and staffed to handle early morning departures.
Whitehurst mentioned that they will open T2 in the morning (for the entire day) once the Medallion check-in is relocated there as well.

What exactly are the problems that you have encountered at JFK T2's regional gates as compared to how things are handled at similar operations in other major airports?
Depending on when you're flying out of those gates...at rush hour, the entire waiting area around Gates 23-25 can be a ZOO - it has insufficient seats or even standing room for hundreds of waiting passengers....that whole area feels like a bus station and the acoustics are pretty awful (when agents announce a flight for boarding, for example)
Old Mar 27, 2007, 1:16 pm

A.J.
It was a clear day in the Northeast. I was on a round trip from RIC to FRA. My outbound RIC flight left on time and touched down early. We sat on the tarmac waiting for a gate for 1.5 hrs. Finally reached the gate and I came through the doors to a throng of people swarming the terminal...yelling at the GA...people sitting on the floor and in general...mayhem. I didn't stick around and sprinted to my connecting flight. The only reason I made that flight is a medical emergency on my plane delayed my departure.

On the return I arrived to JFK on time from FRA. Again another clear day. I went to the commuter terminal and again was met with throngs of people sitting on the floor and the GA desk swarmed. My flight was still on time but a bit later so I head to the CRC to relax. Go out at my appointed time only to find that my flight was delayed but the board was still showing on time. The desk was so jammed I couldn't even find out if it was cancelled or what the issue was. The GA was yelling for people to step back while another GA was on the phone. I took my place on the floor, fired up my laptop and was able to find out on the website what was going on....it was too loud to be able to use my mobile and the delta phone kiosks were full of people yelling.

I was finally able to grab a GA walking around and politely asked what was going on today and she just said "this is about normal".
Old Mar 27, 2007, 1:18 pm

Additional news from Investor Day

Other news and interesting tidbits:

- All 764ERs will eventually be converted to the international BE-configuration

- Bastian said that AA, CO, and DL all have "Favored Nation" status with Boeing, when asked about delivery slots for new aircraft. When pressed for specifics, he said that specific terms and arrangement with Boeing were 'confidential'

- Looking to add more domestic cities to JFK, specifically MSP, IAH, and DEN (2nd try)

- Trying to reduce JFK delays by a) not fully using the takeoff runway for some aircraft/departures; b) working with the FAA on NY area airspace restrictions

- Will add winglets to 20-30 738s and considering winglets for 767-300s.

- Whitehurst mentioned that one decision to be made will be whether to get 787s in a 'big bang' to replace the 767 fleet or in smaller batches for growth...

- 772LR likely to be used for JFK-BOM and new ATL-India

- Standardizing bag loading processes across stations - local bags in front, connecting bags behind wing to expedite bag process

- Hauenstein going to Europe tonight to discuss/work out the LHR slot availability situation; when pressed on where in Europe he was going, he finally said "Paris"....

- Deep cleaning of 767s apparently done in South America - 12 people on a plane for 5 hours...I guess a good use of the ground time of these 767s in South America (flights arrive in the A.M. and leave in the P.M.)

Last edited by ClipperDelta; Mar 27, 2007 at 1:23 pm
Old Mar 27, 2007, 1:33 pm

Whitehurst mentioned that they will open T2 in the morning (for the entire day) once the Medallion check-in is relocated there as well.

it has insufficient seats or even standing room for hundreds of waiting passengers
Yeah....I did notice that 'issue'....and I honestly don't have a clue as to how to fix things.....other than perhaps build a new waiting area either directly outside of....or perhaps directly under....the current area.

Then again.....the nearby T2 B/E / CRC lounge makes things easier for those who have access.

that whole area feels like a bus station
or train station....hence my comparison to Amtrak.

In and of itself, that's not necessarily a bad thing....if order is maintained.

and the acoustics are pretty awful (when agents announce a flight for boarding, for example)
I also agree with this point....to a point.

When I last flew from there, I was able to clearly hear boarding announcements for specific flights that were made from the individual gate.....unless the agent didn't 'speak up'......but it was really hard to hear anything announced from the 'central desk'. It really puzzled me as to why that was.....

It's also partly why I mentioned the need for a MUCH larger general flight info display (the current displays are way too small...and located in poor locations for their size)......say, 8'H x 12'W.....that would list all departing flights over the next 2 hours......displaying the assigned gate/ramp, its current status (i.e. at gate, boarding, final call, etc.) and departure time......and most importantly, is clearly readable for someone with 20/20 vision that is standing 30' away from it.

Also.....if Delta would simply label each 'parking spot' with a separate letter after the gate #.....and/or puts an electronic display at each walkway exit that displays the flight # and destination of the flights departing from those spots, then it would probably make it even easier for infrequent flyers to find their flight.

A.J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.