Wiki Posts
Search

Can't figure out CDG

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2007, 1:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Just an update, I flew through CDG from VCE in May and it was okay, again, they picked us off the VCE-CDG flight and drove us directly to the 2E annex.

Then I flew NCE-CDG-SFO a last week.

I got to NCE very early and they did touch us down about 2 hours before the CDG-SFO flight.

However, I hiked like a mile to get from 2D to 2E, going through a long queue for passport and then security. Then the route led to a bus transfer to get out to the 2E annex where E80 was my gate.

They have shops out there but they don't give you time before you have to board.

But I was able to spend about 20-30 minutes in the AF lounge there before boarding.

Looks like they've removed the security checkpoint at the 2E annex? Back in March and May, they drove me directly to the annex where I went through security there.

I would hate to have to return to the main terminal to go through security and then take a long bus ride out to the annex.

Oh and the work they put into the annex, it doesn't look like a temporary thing, as I thought it might be. That means bus rides are a permanent feature of flights from 2E?
Old Jul 21, 2007, 1:17 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by wco81
Just an update, I flew through CDG from VCE in May and it was okay, again, they picked us off the VCE-CDG flight and drove us directly to the 2E annex.

Then I flew NCE-CDG-SFO a last week.

I got to NCE very early and they did touch us down about 2 hours before the CDG-SFO flight.

However, I hiked like a mile to get from 2D to 2E, going through a long queue for passport and then security. Then the route led to a bus transfer to get out to the 2E annex where E80 was my gate.

They have shops out there but they don't give you time before you have to board.

But I was able to spend about 20-30 minutes in the AF lounge there before boarding.

Looks like they've removed the security checkpoint at the 2E annex? Back in March and May, they drove me directly to the annex where I went through security there.

I would hate to have to return to the main terminal to go through security and then take a long bus ride out to the annex.

Oh and the work they put into the annex, it doesn't look like a temporary thing, as I thought it might be. That means bus rides are a permanent feature of flights from 2E?
I think this thread about Satellite S3 can give you some trends about the changes to CDG2 from now on until the end of 2008. (Photos, videos, roadmap, press kit, terminal diagram). Currently, over 60% of the flights using 2E have a jetway in satellite S3, 45s away from 2E with the Lisa automated shuttle, running every 2mn.

With the partial opening of S3 this month, the % of AF long-haulf flights with a jetway has gone up from 52% to 73%.

Last edited by JOUY31; Jul 21, 2007 at 1:52 pm
Old Jul 21, 2007, 5:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

So the E70 and above gates are at this S3?

That is what I've been going to in March and May and now July?

Only thing is, it's way farther away from 2E than the diagrams suggest.

There is no automated train and thus far, you board by walking on the tarmac, across an "intersection" with pedestrian signal lights, instead of the covered passage ways pictured in the documents.

Of course, one of those documents envisioned A380 infrastructure by June 2007 too.

Any chance with the expansion of CDG, they will move flights to and from SVQ from ORY to CDG?
Old Jul 21, 2007, 10:30 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by wco81
So the E70 and above gates are at this S3?

That is what I've been going to in March and May and now July?

Only thing is, it's way farther away from 2E than the diagrams suggest.

There is no automated train and thus far, you board by walking on the tarmac, across an "intersection" with pedestrian signal lights, instead of the covered passage ways pictured in the documents.

Of course, one of those documents envisioned A380 infrastructure by June 2007 too.

Any chance with the expansion of CDG, they will move flights to and from SVQ from ORY to CDG?
Before June 27th, 2E gates were :
- gates E7x : temporary boarding area alongside 2E
- gates E8x : remote satellite H, where you board by walking on the tarmac

Since June 27th, 2E gates are :
- gates E51 to E76 : satellite S3
- gates E8x : remote satellite H
- gates E9x : temporary boarding area alongside 2E

So, the automated train gives access to gates E51 to E76. And yes, the A380 infrastructure in 2E is available as the taxiways have been adapted and 6 gates have the three airbridges for boarding the A380. This infrastructure was thoroughly tested in early June (June 1st-3rd) by an A380.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 10:58 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion, UA Executive Premier, CO Gold
Thumbs down I also am fan of the SFO - CDG nonstop!

Its a great way to Italy from the west coast and I take it two or three times a year.

But..... I have to say that CDG is a nightmare.

I have actually transfered and left security and gotten on to a plane for Florence WITHOUT being screened.

I actually think it is worse the LHR when it comes to to transfers. Termianls are falling apart, staff is surly luggage is often lost and times need to be expanded to truly reflect what can and cannot be done when trying to connect.

(And this from an AF fan!)
Old Jul 21, 2007, 11:44 pm

Wink

I actually like the conection at CDG between 2D and 2F. It is a bit of a walk but, as we were going to be leaving from F52, you end up going in through a "side" entrance through passport control and security instead of the "main" entry point. Really no one in line at this checkpoint so it was quite rapid earlier this month. As we walked in, we saw the main check point which although larger, had much more of a crowd.

Marc
Old Jul 22, 2007, 7:56 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Marq
I actually like the conection at CDG between 2D and 2F. It is a bit of a walk but, as we were going to be leaving from F52, you end up going in through a "side" entrance through passport control and security instead of the "main" entry point. Really no one in line at this checkpoint so it was quite rapid earlier this month. As we walked in, we saw the main check point which although larger, had much more of a crowd.

Marc
What is odd is when I went SFO-CDG-TXL, I walked from 2E to 2D and it wasn't a long walk at all.

But on the return NCE-CDG-SFO, going 2D to 2E was this real long hike. I should have taken one of those courtesy golf carts because I had a carry-on which had no wheels and I didn't get a luggage cart because I didn't expect to walk so much.

OK, so I must have been taking flights for CDG-SFO from Satellite H, which would explain the long bus rides. When they grabbed you off the tarmac of your connecting flight, of course it didn't seem nearly as long.

If Satellite H is going to be temporary, they sure built it up. It's nicer than many of the gates at the newer terminal building. The AF lounge was really well done too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.