Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

737 or 757 first class domestic - Does it matter?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2007, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA - Platinum; DL, BA; SPG Gold

Clearly I'm a newbie with the ins and outs of Delta, so I apologize.

I did try searching for this question, but came up with nothing or too much, but not on point.

If I have to fly from LA through Cinninati to Boston OR from LA through SLC to Boston, then I get a choice of being on a 757 for 4 hours OR a 737 for 4 and 3/4 hours for the longer sections of the multi-stop, all after flying from Maui at 10:00pm.

(Edit: I saw some SkySaver flights LAX - ATL - BOS on 767. Yes, it takes me an extra 2 hours to get back to Boston, but the LAX - ATL would be on a 767. Of course, this would be if Delta accepts my idea. Heck, I'm stopping in LAX anyway, why not?

One some airlines, folks prefer the 737 first class hands above the 757, but what about on the Delta flights? ...and then there is the 767....

Thanks for your patience.

Mrs. P

Last edited by PatFlyer; Jan 30, 2007 at 3:29 pm Reason: to add new info about 767
Old Jan 30, 2007, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Originally Posted by PatFlyer
Clearly I'm a newbie with the ins and outs of Delta, so I apologize.

I did try searching for this question, but came up with nothing or too much, but not on point.

If I have to fly from LA through Cinninati to Boston OR from LA through SLC to Boston, then I get a choice of being on a 757 for 4 hours OR a 737 for 4 and 3/4 hours for the longer sections of the multi-stop, all after flying from Maui at 10:00pm.

One some airlines, folks prefer the 737 first class hands above the 757, but what about on the Delta flights?

Thanks for your patience.

Mrs. P
My personal preference, and a strong one, would be for the 757. I find the 738, with it's four rows, skinny aisle, and tight pitch (room between the rows essentially) to not be a pleasant FC ride on a long haul flight. We used to take one from ATL to SFO regularly because it was the first flight out which we wanted, but we didn't like it. The seats do have footrests (other than bulkhead) if that's important to you. Sometimes the FAs let the Y pax come up and use the WC in FC because the aisle in Y is so skinny that the pax in front of a serving cart can't get to the back (where the Y WCs are). We would sometimes actually have a line of people waiting next to our seats. I haven't been on a 738 recently (and thankfully) and they may have tightened that up with security restrictions--not sure.

There are two versions of the 757 that Delta is currently using. The one version--usually designated as the 757--is six rows, with a WC in the front, and one right behind 6C/D that is used by both FC and Y. Boarding is often from the middle door which is nice if you are in FC--not everyone streaming by after you board. The ex-Song planes--often designated as the 752 or 757 (TV) are seven rows of FC, with your own screen, where you can get TV shows, a few movies that you can play at your own pace, flight info, etc. It also has the FC WC in front and the shared with Y one behind 7C/D. We were just on one to/from SFO and we liked it quite a bit. Again, boarding is often through the middle door. Either way, I'd take either 757 over the 738--it just has a more roomy comfortable feeling.

You could go to:

http://www.seatguru.com/

for more information.

By the way, welcome to the Delta forum.

Last edited by atl runner; Jan 30, 2007 at 3:40 pm
Old Jan 30, 2007, 3:30 pm

I would agree on the 757 over the 737 - but the real question is the PTV issue - if you can get on the ex-Song birds with PTV, great. Otherwise, it really doesn't matter all that much. Just my opinion
Old Jan 30, 2007, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
If it's a 757-200 with the new interior (PTVs, etc.) - that's a no brainer. If it's a regular 757 or a 737-800, no big difference; I've spent plenty of time in the F cabin of both in the past 1.5 months, and I couldn't really tell a difference. Same thing with the 767s; basically the same seat (unless it's a -ER plane, then take that and BusinessElite).
Old Jan 30, 2007, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

I was using seatguru, but didn't know what some of the abbreviations meant...such as ER or TV.

No luck about the 757 TV, my flight choices do not offer that.

However, if I can get put on the LAX-ATL flight, then the 763's have an ER noted....thanks for the heads up on that.

It makes for 2 more hours of traveling, but if I'm so much more comfortable it may be worth it, especially since its impossible for me to sleep on a plane.

Thanks.

Mrs. P
Old Jan 30, 2007, 4:12 pm

I was using seatguru, but didn't know what some of the abbreviations meant...such as ER or TV.

No luck about the 757 TV, my flight choices do not offer that.

However, if I can get put on the LAX-ATL flight, then the 763's have an ER noted....thanks for the heads up on that.

It makes for 2 more hours of traveling, but if I'm so much more comfortable it may be worth it, especially since its impossible for me to sleep on a plane.

Thanks.

Mrs. P
Be careful--I would think that an LAX to ATL flight would be domestic FC seating. It is if the configuration is four rows of 2-2-2. I personally like double aisle planes because they feel more roomy, the seats are re-upholstered on these, and the pitch is okay, but there is nothing earthshaking about them. The ones I've been on recently between ATL and SFO have one big screen in front of the middle bulkhead seats. As someone who likes to get up and move about I find this a bit of a hassle because I don't want to block the screen for those watching. It's not bad--and it's not great--somewhere in between.

If, for some reason, it's a plane with BE seats, it's a no-brainer, take it. If it is, the seating will still be 2-2-2, but there will be more rows than four and they'll be AB CE FG, not AB CD EF (this would signify domestic FC).

Last edited by atl runner; Jan 30, 2007 at 4:27 pm
Old Jan 30, 2007, 6:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Platinum, AA Plat
The converted Song 757's are very nice.

Failing that, I'll take the 738's for the Empower option, the other 757's amd domestic 763's dont have this. I'm a laptop junkie, and this makes a big difference to me on transcon's

I also like the 763s, because it does feel like more room. So, IMO, the ranking goes

1.) Song 757
2.) 738
3.) 763
4.) old 757

Of course, a BE equipped 763 is the best by far.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

ATL runner said: If, for some reason, it's a plane with BE seats, it's a no-brainer, take it. If it is, the seating will still be 2-2-2, but there will be more rows than four and they'll be AB CE FG, not AB CD EF (this would signify domestic FC).

I checked the 7:20am flight LAX - ATL and Delta.com says is a 767-400ER which has 7 rows, 2 bathrooms in first at the front, BUT...the seats are lettered AB CD EF, no skipping of any letters.

So, therefore this would not be the type of aircraft with OUT "BE" seats?

What does BE seats mean? Oh, I called Delta and Delta.com and no one could tell me what BE meant or what the difference ER made on the 767s...scary isn't it.

Thanks for all this information.

Mrs. P

Last edited by PatFlyer; Jan 30, 2007 at 6:40 pm Reason: call to Delta
Old Jan 30, 2007, 7:02 pm

ATL runner said: If, for some reason, it's a plane with BE seats, it's a no-brainer, take it. If it is, the seating will still be 2-2-2, but there will be more rows than four and they'll be AB CE FG, not AB CD EF (this would signify domestic FC).

I checked the 7:20am flight LAX - ATL and Delta.com says is a 767-400ER which has 7 rows, 2 bathrooms in first at the front, BUT...the seats are lettered AB CD EF, no skipping of any letters.

So, therefore this would not be the type of aircraft with OUT "BE" seats?

What does BE seats mean? Oh, I called Delta and Delta.com and no one could tell me what BE meant or what the difference ER made on the 767s...scary isn't it.

Thanks for all this information.

Mrs. P
BE means Business Elite seats, which you hardly ever see on domestic flights. A 767-400 (764) is not the same plane as a 767-300 (763 or 763ER). Lots of people hate the FC cabin on Delta's 767-400 (764) but I actually like it. The seats are narrow for FC seats but I'm thin so that's no big deal. If you are the other way, it might be. The seats have footrests (except bulkhead) and in-seat entertainment screens, but not the type where you can start and stop the movies on your own. You do get a choice of five or six movies--no TV. The pitch (the amount of space between the rows) is tight for a FC plane, but the two aisles give the FC cabin an overall roomy feel to me. There are two WCs (bathrooms) at the front for the FC passengers. The best seats on the plane are 7E and 7F, and if you can get them do so. They have tons of extra room as they are used for crew rest on longer flights (but not the one you would be on). If they aren't available, I like bulkhead because of the tight pitch (in bulkhead there is no seat in front of you so pitch isn't an issue), but you then give up the footrest. Does that help?

The 767-300 (763) is a domestic version of that plane, with the 2-2-2 first class configuration described in a previous post. The 767-300ER (767ER or Extended Range) is a configuration of that plane that is used to fly longer distances, like to Europe from the US. It has Business Elite instead of First Class--usually 6 rows of 2-2-2 seating. The seats are fancier, recline more, lots of room between rows, etc.

Also, not germain to the flight you will be taking, but just so you know, Delta is in the process of converting a number of their 767-400s (764) from a domestic plane with first class seats to international planes with business elite class seats (BUT NOT THE ONE YOU ARE CONSIDERING TAKING--THAT WILL BE AS DESCRIBED ABOVE IN THIS POST).

Last edited by atl runner; Jan 30, 2007 at 7:42 pm
Old Jan 30, 2007, 7:06 pm
KGB

Programs: DL, Marriott, Hilton
Excepting the laptop junkies the 757 new and old have a cozier private cabin feel to them than the 737 and I absolutely love being able to 'turn left' after entering the interior of the plane and not having to fight for overhead bin space or get carryons wacking me as the Y passengers head back. The 757 cabin space feels a bit larger than the 737 as well. Finally the 767 are as noted 2-2-2 and narrow seats even though a wider airplane.

My 2 cents but I'd go as follows:

757 new
757 old

With BE trumping all of course.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by KGB
Excepting the laptop junkies the 757 new and old have a cozier private cabin feel to them than the 737 and I absolutely love being able to 'turn left' after entering the interior of the plane and not having to fight for overhead bin space or get carryons wacking me as the Y passengers head back. The 757 cabin space feels a bit larger than the 737 as well. Finally the 767 are as noted 2-2-2 and narrow seats even though a wider airplane.

My 2 cents but I'd go as follows:

757 new
757 old

With BE trumping all of course.
I'd put the 763 (767-300) ahead of the 738 but agree with the rest, including the editorial comments. If I could get 7E or F, I'd put the 764 at the top of the list--otherwise I'd put it after the 757 Old but above the 763 and 738.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

WOW ! Can I say WOW enough times !

WOW ! You all are great ! My head is spinning and you might laugh at that being pros, but its incredible the amount of knowlege you have.

I'll be reading this over in the morning - EST time here and I'll make my reservations in the morning.

Thanks one and all.

Mrs. P
Old Jan 30, 2007, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL FO,Starwood Gold, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Nexus & Global Entry
How tall are you? I am 5'10 and my head is too high for the back of the seat in FC on the 738. I have no problems with the 757.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 6:55 am

WOW ! You all are great ! My head is spinning and you might laugh at that being pros, but its incredible the amount of knowlege you have.

I'll be reading this over in the morning - EST time here and I'll make my reservations in the morning.

Thanks one and all.

Mrs. P
Speaking for all of us, thanks for the compliment, and you're welcome. Please let us know what you end up booking.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 7:06 am

atl runner, that is a good synopsis. The only change I might make is that the F pitch on the 764s is really not that tight for F. I think it is 39". That would make it more roomy than all the others, except the 767 in domestic config, which has 40".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.