Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Are you in favor of a DL-US merger?
I am in favor of it. We will have a better airline after the merger.
13.33%
I am against it. "Keep Delta My Delta".
82.86%
I have no opinion on this issue.
3.81%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

USAIRWAYS and DELTA MERGER????

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2006, 4:37 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Gold
Hostile takeover attempts make great drama, but very few winners.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 4:40 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
As an ex-avid US flyer and now a CO/NW/DL supporter I am totally upset over this. Oh well, get ready for a bigger "Greyhound of the skies"!!
Old Nov 15, 2006, 4:41 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Excluding regional aircraft, US and DL have only one common aircraft in their fleets...the 757-200. This proposed merger would be the antithesis of fleet simplification and a bad idea on those grounds alone, IMHO.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 4:44 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec Elite, Delta
Initial thoughts...

NOOOOOOOO !!!!

Then I looked at the US website.

- The new company would keep the Delta Name (good)
- The new company would be headed by the CEO of US (bad)
- The new company's fleet is incompatable (bad)
- No mention of what alliance the new Delta would belong to (bad)
- My guess.. the new company would no longer be HQ'ed in Atlanta (bad)
- Skymiles and Dividend Miles programs would merge (good.. finally a use for the 2k Dividend miles I have).

Not seeing much good in this for DL flyers, knowing the product and service reputation of US. I hope our friends in Atlanta come right out and say "Thanks for the compliment, but no thanks"
Old Nov 15, 2006, 5:10 am

Programs: DL, AA, US, AC, Marriott Platinum, HHhonors Silver (Woo Hoo!)
Noooooooooooooooooo!

Anybody who thinks that US Air would be a good merger partner for Delta merely needs to visit the US Air terminal at LaGuardia (not the "shuttle" side of the terminal, but the "cattle" side). I once observed a US Air filght from New York to Buffalo arriving six hour late (I took a flight to Buffalo that was scheduled to leave two hours later, my flight was delayed by two hours, and I still arrived in Buffalo an hour before the poor passengers on the flight that was shceduled to leave earlier). Sure Delta has problems, but I was always under the impression that its employees cared about their jobs. My impression is that US Air employees on the east coast stopped caring a long time ago.

Last edited by closecover; Nov 15, 2006 at 5:11 am Reason: Typing without Sleep
Old Nov 15, 2006, 5:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, National EE, Hertz PC
As a current US/HP flyer who only switched from delta because of moving to AZ, I would love to see this happen if the combined company could adopt Delta's service model.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 5:16 am

Programs: DL Diamond // Marriott LT Titanium
I am only for "kissing cousin" not hooking up with outsiders!! :-)

now it makes sense why the delta ceo came out 2 weeks ago and said that they are not merging with anybody.... this aint good... it is like taking 5 steps backward

now, if delta+continental or delta+nwa = me very happy!! I would not be surprised, if one of the big boys jumps in and says that they too want to merge or take over... i just hope it aint us airway or united... stick within the family (skyteam) and just hook up with your cousin!!
Old Nov 15, 2006, 5:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
IMHO, US isn't serious about this - the point is to throw as much turbulence at Delta as possible as it enters the final stages of its restructuring.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 5:35 am

As long as they keep the delta.com site. usairways.com STINKS on ice.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 5:37 am

I hope Delta tells them to take a hike. I can think of very few good things about such an arrangement.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 5:42 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Originally Posted by DLfan
Excluding regional aircraft, US and DL have only one common aircraft in their fleets...the 757-200. This proposed merger would be the antithesis of fleet simplification and a bad idea on those grounds alone, IMHO.
My thoughts, exactly...
Old Nov 15, 2006, 5:43 am

Why would US want to acquire DL? It seems like there is very little for them to gain, US already has a huge presence on the east coast, getting DL will only marginally streghten them in the south. They will need to dump either ATL or CLT (99% chance of CLT), SLC and PHX would be redundant and one would have to go (SLC). Regulators will certaintly force them to dump one of the two shuttles between DCA-LGA. The combined company would still have very limited access to Asia except through UA (If they stay in the Star Alliance) or NW (if they join Skyteam).

It is really a strange match for US.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 5:51 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
I've flown USAir ever since it was Allegheny and the 580 was new technology ... and US still seems to operate that way. I avoid them at all costs. Well, maybe no longer...
Old Nov 15, 2006, 5:51 am

Programs: DL Diamond // Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by humanoid94

It is really a strange match for US.

or perhaps, US just learned about Delta merging with someone else, and wanted to throw a monkey wrench in there to make it more difficult or to make the price tag higher!!
Old Nov 15, 2006, 5:58 am

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
I do not think they are just party poopers. One of the things the NEW US airways constantly said, it would look for opportuntities to merge with airlines coming out of Bankruptcy. This has always been part of US's plans.. I was curious if it would be NW or Delta... We can still see what UA or AA wants to do... this should be interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.