Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FC empty, no upgrades cleared yet?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2004, 7:25 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JRF:
It is comments like this that make you sound like you work for DL! You and DL truly do not understand what customer "VALID" requirements are. </font>
Is attacking people was back in vogue? I was under the impression that people could post without the fear of being attacked. Maybe I have been away too long.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 8:26 am
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by findmeinfirst:
Is attacking people was back in vogue? I was under the impression that people could post without the fear of being attacked. Maybe I have been away too long.</font>
Welcome back! Congradulations on being appointed a moderator!

[This message has been edited by JRF (edited Mar 24, 2004).]
Old Mar 24, 2004, 10:39 am

Programs: Delta-Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott-Lifetime Titanium. Priority Club-Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by findmeinfirst:
Is attacking people was back in vogue? I was under the impression that people could post without the fear of being attacked. Maybe I have been away too long.</font>
Welcome back! It seems there are three factions posting on FT-Delta these days.

The BAL's (5%)- They never like anything Delta does and are constantly on the offensive about how terrible Delta is.

The RahRah's (5%) - They like the things Delta does and are constantly on the defensive (and often labled as Delta shills because of this).

The Rest (90%)- Who sit back and watch the fireworks.

Old Mar 24, 2004, 12:45 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Pointfreak!:
Welcome back! It seems there are three factions posting on FT-Delta these days.

The BAL's (5%)- They never like anything Delta does and are constantly on the offensive about how terrible Delta is.

The RahRah's (5%) - They like the things Delta does and are constantly on the defensive (and often labled as Delta shills because of this).

The Rest (90%)- Who sit back and watch the fireworks.

</font>
The ratio of BAL:RahRah is definitely greater than 1:1.

[This message has been edited by andymo99 (edited Mar 24, 2004).]
Old Mar 24, 2004, 1:10 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Pointfreak!:

</font>
Sounds like "Westside Story."... When you're a BAL, you're a BAL for life...

I am not quite sure which one I am as long as I am not called a "Troll."

Back on topic...Does it matter if upgrade clears right at window? For me as long as it clears is good enough.

Old Mar 24, 2004, 2:13 pm

Programs: Delta-Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott-Lifetime Titanium. Priority Club-Platinum
Sounds like "Westside Story."...</font>
I think I feel a SONG coming on!!!

When your a BAL

When you're a BAL,
You're a BAL all the way
From your first FT rant
To your last sour essay,

When you're a BAL,
If the Rah’s start to SPAM,
You got brothers around,
You're a BAL man!

You're never alone,
You're never disconnected!
You ***** with your own:
Even when not expected,
You're well protected!

Then you can *****
With a capital B,
You can ***** with your friends
It’s the way it should be!
When you're a BAL,
You stay a BAL!

Coming to Broadway soon!
Old Apr 3, 2004, 10:49 pm
Original Member

This is very simple actually....in most markets, first class seats are "held up," meaning that the inventory is held up to the full "F" or "A" fare, preventing too many "V" seats from clearing, so DL can actually sell First Class seats.
Old Apr 4, 2004, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by mgold07
This is very simple actually....in most markets, first class seats are "held up," meaning that the inventory is held up to the full "F" or "A" fare, preventing too many "V" seats from clearing, so DL can actually sell First Class seats.
Holding seats Delta can sell I can understand. But I've looked at flights like CVG-CDG and JFK-CDG a few days before or even the morning of the flight and there are many unsold BE seats. I doubt Delta has 6 or 8 people book international BE seats in the last 3 hours before a flight. So why are they holding back on upgrades? The coach fares to upgrade these flights are expensive and Delta seems to be missing the boat in not collecting the excess cash plus the miles.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 4:13 pm

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Holding seats Delta can sell I can understand. But I've looked at flights like CVG-CDG and JFK-CDG a few days before or even the morning of the flight and there are many unsold BE seats. I doubt Delta has 6 or 8 people book international BE seats in the last 3 hours before a flight. So why are they holding back on upgrades? The coach fares to upgrade these flights are expensive and Delta seems to be missing the boat in not collecting the excess cash plus the miles.
With the policy of not upgrading on the day of departure, I think the more interesting question is: Who do they put in those seats on the day of departure to fill up the BE cabin?

Og 8 BE flights I did within the last year, I do not rember a single where the BE cabin was not full. When checking on whether it may be possible to move to a seat with an empty seat beside on the morning of departure, I have also noticed that there most often are at least 4-10 seats open. Yet, when sitting in the cabin a few hours after, the seats are filled. Only rarely has the coach cabin been stock full (but it has happened).

If truly not upgrading on the day of departure other than for operational reasons, who gets these seats?

(A little voice in the back of my head keeps saying: "Delta staff and families" - but than can't be true!!, right!!)
Old Apr 9, 2004, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
No upgrades for Floridians

Originally Posted by MikenFla
This has been an ongoing problem since the inception of Auto -Upgrades. In Florida especially, Delta's 100 hour window for P.M's is a joke.
I have not been upgraded once prior to airport check in while there have 10-15 F.C. seats available at 100 hours.
I would be interested to hear if others flying to and from Fla are seeing any change.
I find I am rarely upgraded at the 100 or 24 hour window (and most times don't get upgraded even at the airport), once in a while on a YBM flight I get upgraded when I purchase.

I am not a "real" PM this year, I made it because I had 100 segments last year and was Plat for the last 3 years. I was wondering if there are levels of PM and I am at the lowest, therefore my poor upgrade rate?
Old Apr 10, 2004, 12:26 am

Programs: DL 3MM/DM, AA 3MM/PLT, UA 1K
Originally Posted by oodude69
If a PM on a K+ is waitlisted, does that mean that a Silver on a Y fare will trump the PM for the FC seat?

That would make PM essentially worthless.
The PM would have priority on the waitlist. If the upgrade does not clear in advance, then the FO on a Y fare would have priority on the ASL at the gate.
Old Apr 10, 2004, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
8 of 8 1st class avail, still on waitlist

I looked into booking a flight ATL-MSP for April 26, all first class seats are empty according to DL seatmap. It still won't give me first. Now I know that is still 2 weeks away, but can't DL give some 1st class seats to their frequent fliers?
Old Apr 11, 2004, 8:43 pm

Flying outbound and/or inbound to most Florida destinations - DL seems to hold "F" inventory until day of departure. We've seen this occur in 2004 after the "unlimited upgrades" for all Medallion levels - not much reason to purchase K or higher - never clear at the 100 hour mark!

gulfcoastdave
Old Apr 11, 2004, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP - US CP
This is a perfect example of just how disconnected Delta is from their frequent filer base. When the 4 of us met with them at EWR one of the key points we made (and I remember Bruce driving it home), was just how important the ability to upgrade at the time of booking for PMs was.

I don't think Delta management understands just how stressful it is for a very FFer to have to wait till the last minute to board only to find the overhead gone whether they are up front or in the back and that's with a K and above fare!

In the end, promising 100 hour clearance (barely acceptable) and not honoring their promise is what finally drove me away. I am now 100% AA where at least you know where you stand (most of the time)...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.