Wiki Posts
Search

Standby upgrades for purchase

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2004, 4:53 pm
tph
Original Poster

Standby upgrades for purchase

I have read previous posts about the priority of upgrades and they all say that the "Standby For Purchase" option is the lowest priority. Is this correct?
Today on a flight from SLC-IAH, I was first on the upgrade list with 2 seats still unreserved. Standby upgrades for purchase were available according to the screen. It turns out, I didn't get upgraded! I could have purchased a upgrade, but I thought my GM status was above that. I called Customer Service and they told me that it was up to the Airport. (which I didn't believe) I thought there were rules about this.
Any thoughts?
On another note, I went down to GM from PM this year, but my boarding pass still said PM? The website says I'm GM. Interesting.
Thanks..
Old Mar 10, 2004, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
This thread
may answer your question. BTW, did you actually see any upgrades purchased?
Old Mar 10, 2004, 8:02 pm

Programs: DL PM(sigh)/2.3MM & a bunch of other programs...
Based upon that thread, tph should've gotten the upgrade before any purchased standbys.

However, I have had gate agents tell me that "Seats Not Reserved" doesn't necessarily mean that the seat is vacant.

I'm not sure how that could be other than maybe someone who has a confirmed upgrade/purchased ticket, but no seat assignment. Anyone know? UDH?
Old Mar 10, 2004, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tph:
On another note, I went down to GM from PM this year, but my boarding pass still said PM? The website says I'm GM. Interesting.
Thanks..
</font>
Your BP will show your status as of the time you made your reservation, as it is part of the original PNR.

------------------
Vasant
Old Mar 10, 2004, 8:56 pm
tph
Original Poster

Thanks for the note on the PM status. That must have been it.

I did not notice if anyone actually purchased the first class upgrade. But why would it offer it at all if there was Medallions on the upgrade list? I just find it troublesome that they would offer the upgrade for money before clearing me on the list.

Thanks for the replys.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by vasantn:
Your BP will show your status as of the time you made your reservation, as it is part of the original PNR.
</font>
vasantn, if you were one of those that were demoted 2 elite levels at the beginning of the month and called to complain, your correct status might be reflected on the PNR. I had complained about being demoted to plain SM status from GM, and after they corrected the problem they must have also corrected my existing itinerary for last weekend. It showed FO status on the boarding pass which also means they had made a change to the PNR.

Old Mar 10, 2004, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Hilton Diamond, Avis Preferred
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tph:
Thanks for the note on the PM status. That must have been it.

I did not notice if anyone actually purchased the first class upgrade. But why would it offer it at all if there was Medallions on the upgrade list? I just find it troublesome that they would offer the upgrade for money before clearing me on the list.

Thanks for the replys.
</font>
It is pretty obvious, they are going to try to make as much money as possible for the empty first class seats, which sucks lately. I noticed the same thing when I flew last weekend, but at $70 to upgrade to first class from Atlanta to Vegas, there wasn't many takers and I still managed to get the bulkhead seat in first class.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rssrsvp:
vasantn, if you were one of those that were demoted 2 elite levels at the beginning of the month and called to complain, your correct status might be reflected on the PNR. I had complained about being demoted to plain SM status from GM, and after they corrected the problem they must have also corrected my existing itinerary for last weekend. It showed FO status on the boarding pass which also means they had made a change to the PNR.

</font>
True. The status on the PNR can, of course, be manually changed. But it is not an automatic process. I have itineraries booked for August for which I am sure I will still be listed as PM on my BP. CRC, here I come!

------------------
Vasant
Old Mar 11, 2004, 11:03 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SeaClay007:
Based upon that thread, tph should've gotten the upgrade before any purchased standbys.

However, I have had gate agents tell me that "Seats Not Reserved" doesn't necessarily mean that the seat is vacant.

I'm not sure how that could be other than maybe someone who has a confirmed upgrade/purchased ticket, but no seat assignment. Anyone know? UDH?
</font>
A "seat not reserved" can be taken by someone on that flight in coach who asks the gate agent/ticket counter to be added to the upgrade list. As we all know, you still have to do that at the airport if your advance request was not processed before you checked in.

If that person has a higher upgrade priority, #1 on the list will get bumped down to #2.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 11:43 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
If you were on a H,Q,K,L,U, or T fare you would not be above a non medallion standing by for an upgrade if they were on a Y, B, or M fare.
I have read previous posts about the priority of upgrades and they all say that the "Standby For Purchase" option is the lowest priority. Is this correct?
Today on a flight from SLC-IAH, I was first on the upgrade list with 2 seats still unreserved. Standby upgrades for purchase were available according to the screen. It turns out, I didn't get upgraded! I could have purchased a upgrade, but I thought my GM status was above that. I called Customer Service and they told me that it was up to the Airport. (which I didn't believe) I thought there were rules about this.
Any thoughts?
Thanks..
</font>
Old Mar 11, 2004, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jfulcher:
If you were on a H,Q,K,L,U, or T fare you would not be above a non medallion standing by for an upgrade if they were on a Y, B, or M fare.
</font>

Where is this documented?
Old Mar 11, 2004, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jfulcher:
</font>
Not true. Status trumps fare paid.

------------------
Vasant

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.