Search

Companion Upgrades - Any Experience?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2004, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
Companion Upgrades - Any Experience?

We are now almost one month into the new program rules permitting upgrade of companions. I did a search and did not find anybody posting experience with this new feature.

While initially looking very restricted (confirmation 12 hours before, only on non-LUT fares) to the point of almost appearing as a joke given the Medaillion members competition for the upgrades, I have noted several empty FC seats on some runs from SLC-ATL and SLC-CVG in January, re-kindling my interest in this.

I am going to a meeting in Orlando in mid-February, am already upgraded on a MSU (booked in December) and will have one of my employees join me at the meeting, on the same flight, currently in the back on a K-fare.

I will try to upgrade that person as a companion - but wonder whether anybody here has been able to do so, and if so, under what circumstances.

I thought it might be useful to have a thread where experience and tips regarding this matter could be centralized.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 12:56 pm

Companion must be on same confirm #. I did upgrade my sssitant on a JFK-LAX-JFK but was unable to upgrade a friend on a JFK-SEA because we were on a different itinerary.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by findmeinfirst:
Companion must be on same confirm #. I did upgrade my sssitant on a JFK-LAX-JFK but was unable to upgrade a friend on a JFK-SEA because we were on a different itinerary.</font>

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about/...nion/index.jsp

This indicates that they do not have to be on the same PNR. Actually, I was just thinking of this the other day, if there are seats available and if you can find a person in the gate area that has an upgradeable fare is there anything from stopping you from gifting this to them on the spot?
Old Jan 25, 2004, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by indufan:

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about/medallion_updates/med_upgrades/trav_companion/i ndex.jsp

This indicates that they do not have to be on the same PNR. Actually, I was just thinking of this the other day, if there are seats available and if you can find a person in the gate area that has an upgradeable fare is there anything from stopping you from gifting this to them on the spot?
</font>
I Agree with you Indufan. It specifically states:

If you and your traveling companion have different reservation records with the same fare class, you will be cleared based on when the upgrade was requested for each passenger and according to your individual member status

Maybe before long we will see "gate Scalpers", upgraded medaillions standing in front of the check-in counter with a little sign selling upgrades (compeeting with Delta's own gate sale of upgrades when available).

As I said, I am already upgraded (on a different record) and have my employee is waitlisted.

And I have no idea where Findmefirst is coming from (pun intended!).
Old Jan 25, 2004, 3:07 pm

honestly not sure what the rule is but that is what I was told at ticket counter.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by findmeinfirst:
honestly not sure what the rule is but that is what I was told at ticket counter.</font>

Well, the rule IS that they don't have to be on the same PNR. So, you were misinformed. That is one of the real benefits of hanging out here at FT, education pays in the airline industry.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL Gold - HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Flying_Duck:
If you and your traveling companion have different reservation records with the same fare class, you will be cleared based on when the upgrade was requested for each passenger and according to your individual member status</font>
I know this seems like a **duh** question, but what about if your companion is in a higher class than yourself... say he/she has a Q class ticket and I have a K class? Or is it only K and K or Y and Y or H and H, etc.?

[This message has been edited by sammy343 (edited Jan 25, 2004).]
Old Jan 25, 2004, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sammy343:
I know this seems like a **duh** question, but what about if your companion is in a higher class than yourself... say he/she has a Q class ticket and I have a K class? Or is it only K and K or Y and Y or H and H, etc.?</font>
I don't tink it matters what fare class the companion has (other than A or F) as it is assumed they have no medaillion status and are general SM members.

That is how I interpret the folowing statement from the Delta Link:

The upgrade confirmation window for general member companions is 12 hours prior to departure for fare classes Y, B, M, H, Q, and K. Companion upgrades are not applicable for general members traveling with fare classes L, U, or T.

The companion would still be at the bottom of the upgrade hieraky as even SM can upgrade non-LUT fares at least 48 hours before departure and their LUT fares 12 hours before. What is not clear is whether a SM on a LUT fare gets preference over a companion on a K-M fare. This to the best of my reading is not stated anywhere (can UDH answer this?). My suspicion is that SM gets preference no matter what the companion fare, which I have no problem with by the way.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 3:56 am

Location: Mesa, AZ., USA, DL Gold,CRC,WN whatever,AA nobody,HHonors Diamond,Starwood Gold, could careless about Rental Car Co's.
*** th way I read it, your companion must be Medallion as well.!!!
Old Jan 26, 2004, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
I tried to upgrade a co-worker yesterday, and was told the upgrades need to be requested at least 3 hours before the flight.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 8:57 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AIRcop:
*** th way I read it, your companion must be Medallion as well.!!!</font>
I believe that to be incorrect. First of all, that would make no sense as all as medaillions, including SM, have more generous upgrade windows than the companion, and secondly, as in the Delta quote above, they specifically talk about General Members

[This message has been edited by Flying_Duck (edited Jan 26, 2004).]
Old Jan 26, 2004, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Flying_Duck:
I believe that to be incorrect. First of all, that would make no sense as all as medaillions, including SM, have more generous upgrade windows than the companion, and secondly, as in the Delta quote above, they specifically talk about General Members</font>
And they are saying the GENERAL MEMBERS can not be the one asking to upgrade someone else.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
As to the comment about there being lots of FC seats open prior to the flight.

There are often LOTS of open seats, followed by a long list of standby's waiting to get those seats. Though you may well still get a shot at the companion upgrade, do not be surprised if all those empty seats are spoken for ahead of you.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 11:15 am

I had an awful time with Delta recently related to the Companion Upgrade... I searched this message board first to find experiences, but didn't see any right away, so I'm glad someone started this thread. First I tried to use one of those Fly 3 Get 1 Free certificates for an ATL / RNO trip 25 days in advance (superbowl weekend), but there were no seats available. I'm platinum, so instead of buying a first class ticket, I had my agent find me a M class and confirm First and then K class for my companion (different record locator so I didn't loose my upgrade priority). Then I had at least 3 different phone calls with Delta explaining the program to them just to get her on the List for a potential upgrade... It was an awful process and I'm still not sure that she is actually on a list. The other thing that annoyed me was they wouldn't agree to do anything unless I gave them her skymiles number (which I didn't have at the time) even though the upgrade is only related to my Platinum status. I guess the upgrade feature is a nice addition, but I wish they educated their reps a little better or automated the process.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by empedocles:
I tried to upgrade a co-worker yesterday, and was told the upgrades need to be requested at least 3 hours before the flight.
</font>
While I don't doubt this is what you were told, there is nothing on their website to indicate this. UDH?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.