Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COMAIR crash at LEX

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2006, 9:28 am

Programs: NW-PE, Blue Star SeaSmiles
Originally Posted by Lehava
For anyone who heard the press conference, how many miles did he say the plane had on it, the number I thought I heard (14,000) makes NO sense for a plane this old
They were speaking in flight hours.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Lehava
For anyone who heard the press conference, how many miles did he say the plane had on it, the number I thought I heard (14,000) makes NO sense for a plane this old
14,000 hours
Old Aug 27, 2006, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Louisville WAVE3 reporting that there is a "wrong runway report being investigated."

The weather in KY was supposed to deteriorate late Saturday but was still OK when our PSA CRJ took off from SDF about 730 last night. Our hearts and feelings go out to those on the Comair flight.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Telfes
Helicopter views from the Louisville news show it very close (half mile-ish) from the end of a runway. News conference said it crashed at 6:10, I think. Apparently there are also dark (burned) skid marks. Comments of reporter in helicopter definitely make it sound like it was off the ground, but on fire before it reached its final resting place.
Having a very close friend who is a burn surgeon, death by fire is my greatest fear! Drowning is a close second...And, I fly weekly, often over water

I feel so sorry for those PAX and crew
Old Aug 27, 2006, 9:32 am
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by debbieb
14,000 hours
Thanks to both who answered, that makes a LOT more sense (and I should have known that without asking...duh lehava)
Old Aug 27, 2006, 9:34 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by monitor
Louisville WAVE3 reporting that there is a "wrong runway report being investigated."

The weather in KY was supposed to deteriorate late Saturday but was still OK when our PSA CRJ took off from SDF about 730 last night. Our hearts and feelings go out to those on the Comair flight.
The wx here at SDF remained calm overnight. Appeared to be some light rain / mist in the early AM. Tornado Watch and some T-storm activity to the north in Indiana which ended at 3:00am.

SDF_Traveler
Old Aug 27, 2006, 9:40 am

Link to WAVE-3 story about possible wrong runway use:

http://www.wave3.com/Global/story.asp?S=5331209
Old Aug 27, 2006, 9:42 am

What about balance? The CG range may be in a four- to five-foot area in an MD-88. Isn't it the case that the range might be half that in a CRJ-200, giving little room for error?
Old Aug 27, 2006, 9:43 am

Programs: DL Diamond, CO Gold, US Silver, Natl Exec, Hertz #1, Avis Preferred, Elite w/ All US Hotel Programs
Now confirmed by wcpo.com that the only survior was First Officer Jim Polehinke.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/2006/local/...ane_crash.html
Old Aug 27, 2006, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RobertS975
I am a pilot. It is certainly possible that the plane attempted a takeoff from the shorter and narrower runway... all the visual clues, even the runway lighting, should have alerted the crew that something was seriously wrong. But these accidents still happen. Remember the Air China jumbo that actually managed to takeoff from a 6000 foot taxiway at ANC?

If the short runway was attempted, one can speculate that by the time the error might have been realized, there no was no ability to stop on the remaining runway. Perhaps a minimum airspeed liftoff was attempted leading to the so called "behind the power curve", the "coffin corner" where a plane is flying so slowly and at such a high angle of attack that it is essentially unable to climb beyond ground effect.

All this is specualtion... this should be an "easy" accident to solve for the NTSB.
Robert, the pilot had been with Comair since 1999 and the co-pilot since 2002. One could reasonably assume that they have flown out of LEX countless times and know the layout of LEX extremely well. There is only one main runway there and it is difficult to conceive that the pilot could have made an error like this in selecting the shorter runway.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 9:44 am

Programs: UA *G MM
I have MSNBC on and it is quite clear that the crash site is a few hundred meters from the end of runway 26-8. The aircraft would have had to made a sharp u-turn immediately on take off from the other runway. Check a satellite map on Google.

It's more like 400-500 meters rather than the "half mile" reported on MSNBC. You can clearly see the two barns behind which all the emergency vehicles are parked.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I know that a help center is being set up in ATL for families who might be waiting there for someone on the flight.

Does anybody know what DL's policy is concerning passengers who were supposed to be making connecting flights? Let's say that someone on the plane was flying LEX-ATL-FLL or LEX-ATL-MXP, would Delta reps in FLL or MXP be notified that the passenger was on the LEX-ATL flight and be on hand to break the news to whoever was meeting the flight?
Old Aug 27, 2006, 9:46 am
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by TVCMH
Now confirmed by wcpo.com that the only survior was First Officer Jim Polehinke.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/2006/local/...ane_crash.html
This article clearly says they took off from Runway 22 (the "right" runway correct). Wonder if that means they have confirmed that, or that was the runway they were told to take off on
Originally Posted by Rssrsvp
Robert, the pilot had been with Comair since 1999 and the co-pilot since 2002. One could reasonably assume that they have flown out of LEX countless times and know the layout of LEX extremely well. There is only one main runway there and it is difficult to conceive that the pilot could have made an error like this in selecting the shorter runway.
RSSRSVP, while it seems the case I wouldnt jump to that, I have been on comair flights to BGM (my home airport) wiht long term pilots/crews who have never been there before. A lot of these crews bid for the same area when they can and are then once in a while sent somewhere they have never been. There are a lot of small airports out there that most dont get to.

Last edited by Canarsie; Aug 27, 2006 at 9:22 pm Reason: Consolidation of content from multiple mileposts.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 9:48 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold, UA Silver
My prayers go to those involved in the crash and their families.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5 Star Gold
I'm here in LEX and I have seen the pictures on the local news. It is painfully obvious that the wrong runway was used. The impact is just off the end of 26 and the final resting point is on a straight line with 26.

It is also reported that the fence is down at the end of 26.

Also, rumors are that there are skid marks on 26 itself.

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.