Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:44 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by cpx
This was just a word I heard on MSNBC, I didnt hear that as a part of the
Press conference. I guess they are not releasing the details until they
further investiage this incident.

You will probably get your answers down the road in the NTSB report..
dont think you will get it immediately.
If it was a takeoff from the short runway, that should come out fairly quickly. The balanced field takeoff length for a CRJ-200 is 5,800 feet at sea level and ISA. That's one reason I find it hard to believe that the crew could have blundered this badly -- plus, the shorter runway is half the width of the other -- something that's kind of hard not to notice.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:46 am

Programs: DL Diamond, CO Gold, US Silver, Natl Exec, Hertz #1, Avis Preferred, Elite w/ All US Hotel Programs
Pure speculation, but it's possible with no other traffic that early in the morning they were cleared for takeoff while still taxiing. There would have been no 'position and hold' or 'hold short' instructions from ATC needed. There would have presumably been a handoff from ground to tower, but if the takeoff clearance for Rwy 22 was issued before the plane got to the intersection of Taxiway A and Rwy 26 I can imagine the confusion and can see how the pilot would take the first left onto the (incorrect) runway instead of straight ahead onto taxiway A7.

Originally Posted by Lehava
ok what am I missing in this? How would ATC let them take off on the wrong runway? Are we using wrong as not the runway they should have been on, or wrong in not the preferrential (as one was much shorter) but where ATC sent them?
Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:47 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lehava
That goes with my thinking, boy would you have to have a LOT of people blow it to take off off the wrong runway. I know on FT I have seen people pull up flight path maps, is there a way to find this on line that would show the runway and if they were circling back (I never kept the link to the software)??
I checked flightaware and the flight was showing up as cancelled, so no map was available.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:51 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by dcmike
That is a very strange way to title a page in this situation.

It seems there is only one survivor. May God bless all those who were aboard.
It's an industry term for a site a company keeps "dark" until a crisis communication situation requires it go live. That said, the web page should certainly not be titled "dark site."
Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:51 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by us2
If it was a takeoff from the short runway, that should come out fairly quickly. The balanced field takeoff length for a CRJ-200 is 5,800 feet at sea level and ISA. That's one reason I find it hard to believe that the crew could have blundered this badly -- plus, the shorter runway is half the width of the other -- something that's kind of hard not to notice.
More speculation, I know, but according to some of the reports, they were cleared for takeoff at 0605 and the accident happened at 0619. This means the a/c was airborne for a while even if they didn't lift off until say 0607 or 0608; if it was a wrong/short runway issue, my simple brain tells me that they would have overrun it and not have been able to liftoff?
Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:53 am

Programs: DL GM/2.7MM, Marriott Lifetime PL, SPG Lifetime PL,Hilton Gold, Natl Lifetime Exec Elite
My thoughts and prayers to the passengers and crew as well condolances for all their family and friends.

R.I.P.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:56 am

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
Could there have been a problem with the fuel?
Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:58 am

Programs: DL Diamond, CO Gold, US Silver, Natl Exec, Hertz #1, Avis Preferred, Elite w/ All US Hotel Programs
Remember, though, this plane was probably not airborne long enough to be handed off to a departure controller, so I'm not sure if the flight plan was ever opened.

Originally Posted by us2
I checked flightaware and the flight was showing up as cancelled, so no map was available.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:58 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
More speculation, I know, but according to some of the reports, they were cleared for takeoff at 0605 and the accident happened at 0619. This means the a/c was airborne for a while even if they didn't lift off until say 0607 or 0608; if it was a wrong/short runway issue, my simple brain tells me that they would have overrun it and not have been able to liftoff?
Not necessarily. Balanced field length is expected takeoff run plus enough runway to stop up until V1. I would expect that the actual run would probably be in the 3500 foot range; it is possible that they realized the mistake and had to rotate early before running out of runway, then stalled and crashed after takeoff. But, as I stated before, I find it hard to believe that a crew could blunder that badly in the first place and to then not have the tower catch it is really hard to fathom.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 9:00 am

I live approximately a mile from the airport. I did not hear the impact/explosion, but did hear many sirens which suggested something terrible had happened close by. I've taken this flight many times without incident. The Sunday morning flight often had a number of local residents headed out on vacation, connecting in ATL. I am dreading the publication of the passenger list as I would often see acqaintances on this flight. The latest reports confirm one survivor, a male, in critical condition, now in surgery at UK Med Center. It has been suggested this was the pilot, but no confirmation. Some media reported the possibility of a second survivor, but that doesn't appear credible. That would put the fatalities at 49. The wrong runway theory has been repeated on several news stations, but it is impossible to believe that that mistake could have occurred. The airport has now reopened. My condolences to the families and friends of everyone on board.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
Helicopter views from the Louisville news show it very close (half mile-ish) from the end of a runway. News conference said it crashed at 6:10, I think. Apparently there are also dark (burned) skid marks. Comments of reporter in helicopter definitely make it sound like it was off the ground, but on fire before it reached its final resting place.

Another news conference at noon -- from Keeneland race track, which is right across the road from airport.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 9:11 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TVCMH
Remember, though, this plane was probably not airborne long enough to be handed off to a departure controller, so I'm not sure if the flight plan was ever opened.
You are correct; I was simply responding to the question that was asked.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 9:14 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by us2
Not necessarily. Balanced field length is expected takeoff run plus enough runway to stop up until V1. I would expect that the actual run would probably be in the 3500 foot range; it is possible that they realized the mistake and had to rotate early before running out of runway, then stalled and crashed after takeoff. But, as I stated before, I find it hard to believe that a crew could blunder that badly in the first place and to then not have the tower catch it is really hard to fathom.
I am a pilot. It is certainly possible that the plane attempted a takeoff from the shorter and narrower runway... all the visual clues, even the runway lighting, should have alerted the crew that something was seriously wrong. But these accidents still happen. Remember the Air China jumbo that actually managed to takeoff from a 6000 foot taxiway at ANC?

If the short runway was attempted, one can speculate that by the time the error might have been realized, there no was no ability to stop on the remaining runway. Perhaps a minimum airspeed liftoff was attempted leading to the so called "behind the power curve", the "coffin corner" where a plane is flying so slowly and at such a high angle of attack that it is essentially unable to climb beyond ground effect.

All this is specualtion... this should be an "easy" accident to solve for the NTSB.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 9:15 am
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by us2
Thanks!!!

Just heard now that there might have been some kind of "accident" right at the end of the runway, anyone else hearing this or is this total media bs?

For anyone who heard the press conference, how many miles did he say the plane had on it, the number I thought I heard (14,000) makes NO sense for a plane this old

Last edited by Canarsie; Aug 27, 2006 at 9:18 pm Reason: Consolidation of content from multiple mileposts.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by RobertS975
Remember the Air China jumbo that actually managed to takeoff from a 6000 foot taxiway at ANC?
And the Singapore 747 that took off on a closed runway at TPE and hit construction equipment? It happens despite the best efforts of ATC and the experience of the crew. It is easy to imagine it happening at a smaller airport first thing in the morning with takeoff clearance coming during taxi, before the a/c takes the active.

There but for the grace of God go all of us, indeed. Thoughts and prayers with victims and their families.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.