Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COMAIR crash at LEX

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2006, 7:55 am
cpx

Programs: Many
I believe its was runway 26 (Based on MSNBC)

there is a press conference at 10:00 AM EST
Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:02 am
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by GoCanes
I hope no one from our board was on this flight.
Same here, do we have anyone we know routinely flies from Lexington?????

Who knows which of this info is right, but CNN is saying....

46 Rev Passengers
1 non Rev in the jumpseat
3 crew

1 male survivor in critical condition, may have been from the cockpit.

Coroner interviewed said all those who were killed were still inside the plane, probably died quickly due to the fire.

It's just too sad, our prayers to their families and to all our friends at Comair!! These accidents alway makes me think "oh but for the grace of god go I"

Comair press conference starting, CNN covering

Last edited by Canarsie; Aug 27, 2006 at 9:13 pm Reason: Consolidation of content from multiple mileposts.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:04 am

Here is the article from the Louisville Courier-Journal. Coroner says either impact or fire caused fatalities & all were still on board.

R.I.P.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:07 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
1 Survivor

See: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...082700211.html

Hospital is reporting one survivor in critical condition.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:15 am

Programs: SPG Gold
What a horrible tragedy indeed, my thoughts are with all of the familes with loved ones on that flight.

To compound it, as this is a Sunday morning flight, would we have to assume this plane would have more families connecting to end of summer vacations than inidividuals flying on business?
Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:17 am

Programs: UA, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by langleyoaker
CNN has shown some of the coverage from a local station in Lexington and they show emergency equipment near the intersection of Versailles Rd. and Rice Rd.:

http://maps.yahoo.com/beta/#mvt=h&ma...8.041594&mag=2

They appear to show equipment driving south on the small road off of Versailles Rd. to the east of Rice Rd. This leads to an area along the extended centerline of runway 26, which is only 3500 feet long. If they departed from runway 22 (7003 feet) they likely would have had better access to a crash site from other roads.

Here is an airport diagram of LEX:

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0608/00697AD.PDF

Not stating as fact that they took off from the wrong runway but this seems to support that theory.

Now correct me if I am wrong but if you took off on 26 then you immediately go over keenland and that would make sense of the wrong runway theory since they were on the farms to the right of keenland..

RIP!

Rex
Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:26 am
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
wrong runway?

ok what am I missing in this? How would ATC let them take off on the wrong runway? Are we using wrong as not the runway they should have been on, or wrong in not the preferrential (as one was much shorter) but where ATC sent them?
Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:29 am

Programs: UA, DL, Hilton etc.
Originally Posted by Lehava
ok what am I missing in this? How would ATC let them take off on the wrong runway? Are we using wrong as not the runway they should have been on, or wrong in not the preferrential (as one was much shorter) but where ATC sent them?
Don't want to jump to conclusions, but ATC or pilot error seem like the two choices.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Sad day

Why would they not give tail number during press conference? Said it will be released later
Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:37 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
This is why I'm not sure I'm buying into the wrong runway theory. You'd have to have at least 3 people not paying attention for this to happen, 4 if there was someone in the jumpseat. It's certainly possible given how close the runway ends of 26 and 22 are to each other, but it is awfully difficult to taxi onto the wrong runway in the first place, let alone have it happen and not be caught by the tower. If the plane had mechanical problems and was circling around to come back to the airport, a right turn could put it on the extended centerline of the other runway -- though a left traffic pattern is more common.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:39 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by us2
This is why I'm not sure I'm buying into the wrong runway theory. You'd have to have at least 3 people not paying attention for this to happen, 4 if there was someone in the jumpseat. It's certainly possible given how close the runway ends of 26 and 22 are to each other, but it is awfully difficult to taxi onto the wrong runway in the first place, let alone have it happen and not be caught by the tower. If the plane had mechanical problems and was circling around to come back to the airport, a right turn could put it on the extended centerline of the other runway -- though a left traffic pattern is more common.
That goes with my thinking, boy would you have to have a LOT of people blow it to take off off the wrong runway. I know on FT I have seen people pull up flight path maps, is there a way to find this on line that would show the runway and if they were circling back (I never kept the link to the software)??
Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:39 am
cpx

Programs: Many
This was just a word I heard on MSNBC, I didnt hear that as a part of the
Press conference. I guess they are not releasing the details until they
further investiage this incident.

You will probably get your answers down the road in the NTSB report..
dont think you will get it immediately.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:41 am

Is there anything inherent in commuter jet ops that makes them more vulnerable or a crash less survivable?

Those of us with scant knowledge of these systems frequently ask.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by mikey1003
Sad day

Why would they not give tail number during press conference? Said it will be released later
Not sure....they obviously know what it is and I don't know what the point is of not releasing it. Comair received 2 CRJs in January 2001, N431CA and N435CA so it's one of those two.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:43 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by cpx
This was just a word I heard on MSNBC, I didnt hear that as a part of the
Press conference. I guess they are not releasing the details until they
further investiage this incident.

You will probably get your answers down the road in the NTSB report..
dont think you will get it immediately.
Someone tried to ask the question during the press conference and he put off answering (they asked while he was still speaking) and never went back to it (although sure he would have said we are looking into it). I realize we wont have answers for months, just seems like that is a black and white fact not something to investigate...what runway they left on.

I have flown with the flight attendant they named *major frown* (his name stuck with me, why would be inappropriate at this point as it was a joke).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.