Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Song Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2003, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Song Nightmare

My family went to Orlando this past week.

On our flight from JFK-MCO last Saturday (8/9), the plane had to stop in JAX to refuel. We were 3 hours late.

Our return flight last night (8/15) MCO-LGA was cancelled due to the power outage. Delta could not rebook us out of MCO until Tuesday. We opted for the 1:50pm flight out of Tampa today (8/16).

We arrived at TPA at noon. The flight pushed back a few minutes late. We were on the runway for an hour. The pilot finally said we were going back to the gate because the weather up north is very bad.

In the terminal we were being told that JFK had an influx of international flights and no Domestic flights were being allowed to land. We were told that they will get an update at 3pm. We were told they will get another update at 4pm. We were then told they will get another update at 5pm. We were then told the flight was cleared for takeoff at 6:07pm. We were then told the weather is still bad and they have no clue when we will be able to takeoff. Finally at 7:00pm they board the plane. Then because of thunderstorms at the TPA airport, we cannot take off till 7:30pm. The pilot said "it's just one of those days folks".

FINALLY at 10:17pm we arrive at JFK. We could not even walk through the terminal because it was soooo overcrowded with people.

Then at the baggage claim, the crowds were 5 people deep, we could not get to the belts and it was very hot and uncomfortable with so many people in this confined area. There were 3 full flights of people waiting for luggage off of one belt. The TPA flight 2554 was listed on the sign for belt F. Then after 40 minutes, a voice comes onto the PA system and says the TPA flight 2554 is on belt E causing a mass exodus of people to belt E.

Luggage from MCO and ATL came off first.

Finally at 11:30 the TPA luggage started to come out.

Getting the luggage to the middle island was another adventure because the islands are VERY TINY and cannot accomodate the number of people who need to stand on them and they do not have dips in the concrete for smartcarts. DID ANYONE PUT ANY THOUGHT INTO THE FACT THAT TERMINAL 2 CANNOT HANDLE THE VOLUME OF PEOPLE COMING OFF OF SONG FLIGHTS???

To add fuel to the fire, I just checked Jetblue.com and their 2:05pm TPA-JFK flight landed at 5:30pm. This is absolute proof that Song/Delta was lying about bad weather and domestic flights not being allowed into JFK.

I missed my cousins wedding and tons of people missed international connections because of this screwup. This was an awful experience and everyone on this flight will not be booking Song ever again!

[This message has been edited by Ringside (edited 08-16-2003).]
Old Aug 16, 2003, 11:25 pm

Next time simply charter a Gulfstream or Citation directly into Westchester County airport and take a taxi from there. You won't need to worry about all the international traffic and various weather related delays by flying a "greyhound in the sky." If you don't like that option, then plan on arriving the day before to guarantee your arrival. As far as Song causing you to miss your cousins wedding, might as well blame that one on Giuliani.
Old Aug 16, 2003, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

H53,

If the delay was genuine, I would not have a problem.

Why was Jetblue able to get 2 flights from TPA to JFK during our 6 hour Delta/Song "weather" delay?

Old Aug 16, 2003, 11:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ringside:
The pilot said "it's just one of those days folks".</font>
Ringside.....sorry for your misfortune. In my three decades of business travel, I've had more than my fair share of similar....and worse.... episodes. I take the same attitude as your pilot in saying it's just one of the elements of travel. You're going to have good days and you're going to have bad days. IMO, no airline really tries to aggravate it's passenger base by deliberately delaying the flight. EVERYBODY on your flight...pax and crew... desperately wanted to get home asap. The fact that they couldn't is not, again IMO, a reason to swear off flying an airline forever.
And, hey, this is from someone who is definitely not a Song advocate.

Old Aug 17, 2003, 1:48 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
You will never get a straight answer as to why JetBlue got flights in relatively on time whereas Song was dramatically delayed. Perhaps the FAA alloted so many slots per carrier and JetBlue chose to utilize its for those flights whereas Delta assigned a priority to incoming international flights.

You also would have a decent bone to pick over the unscheduled stop for fuel on the way down (what was up with that?).

And I think that the complaints over the terminal layout and space at JFK are valid.

But as for all the other complaints, there are indeed days that are simply bad, and mixing a major power disruption with bad weather seems to fit the bill for me as a creator of circumstances beyond the control of the airline.

Old Aug 17, 2003, 7:10 am
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by H53Epilot:
Next time simply charter a Gulfstream or Citation directly into Westchester County airport and take a taxi from there. You won't need to worry about all the international traffic and various weather related delays by flying a "greyhound in the sky." If you don't like that option, then plan on arriving the day before to guarantee your arrival. As far as Song causing you to miss your cousins wedding, might as well blame that one on Giuliani. </font>
This now what I do, as well as many of my clients and customers. DL has just become an unfriendly company and unreliable. Fractional leases are now the way of travel, and they are cheaper then they have ever been before.

I take your comment as a wise ... crack, another poster who has nothing to add to FT. So, look for me in the Falcon while you are stuck at an airport waiting for ASA to figure out if your expected equipment in on planet earth.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Robert Leach:
...there are indeed days that are simply bad, and mixing a major power disruption with bad weather seems to fit the bill for me as a creator of circumstances beyond the control of the airline.
</font>
Yep, if you travel enough, you just budget a few unavoidable terrible days. The problem with DL is that over 50% of my travel had very bad days. If ASA was not a part of the picture, the rate would probably be onloy 20%. Being upgraded often made up for most of the bad days, but those days are gone my friends. So get used to the new "we hate you and it shows" DL airlines.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 7:23 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ringside:
everyone on this flight will not be booking Song ever again!</font>
People forget very quickly... I'm sure many on your flight will indeed fly Song again when they are lured by cheap fares and Skymiles credit.

(edited to correct formatting)

[This message has been edited by Ocean1971 (edited 08-17-2003).]
Old Aug 17, 2003, 7:54 am
Suspended

JetBlue is one of the airlines utilizing a new route to/from Florida well offshore in the Atlantic. This could explain why they were allowed to leave near their scheduled departure time. Thunderstorms were impacting the Virginia/DC/Maryland area during this timeframe along the overland routes Song/Delta would have flown. These contributed greatly to your delay.

(Edited for typo(s).....)

[This message has been edited by YFLY (edited 08-17-2003).]

[This message has been edited by YFLY (edited 08-17-2003).]
Old Aug 17, 2003, 8:04 am
JRF

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ocean1971:
People forget very quickly... I'm sure many on your flight will indeed fly Song again when they are lured by cheap fares and Skymiles credit. </font>
Peope do forget very quickly, but having problems over and over and over, it eventually gets burned into your brain that you need to fly on another airlines. So, eventually people will stop flying Song if they are really bad. I know many people who put up with ASA for a few years, but finally gave up and left DL all together.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 8:37 am

Location: DL: PM/2M; UA: 1K; AA: Plat/2MM; SQ: PPS; US: Plat; Starwood: Plat; Hilton: Diam Hyatt: Diam; Loews Plat; Avis: Chair.
This was an awful experience and everyone on this flight will not be booking Song ever again!

</font>
That's not even half of it. I was on that flight too and am taking it a step further. I'm never flying again ever ever ever.

What's wrong with pilots these days? Screw ATC. Passengers shouldn't be stuck like that. They should have taken off anyway.

The weather wasn't even that bad. I know. I stepped outside and checked for myself and my Dad was a weatherman.

What's this crapp about international flights first. Does Delta realize how hot it is in Florida in August?

And you know what about Song? None was even singing!

You are so stupid to have waited. I knew that was going to happen as soon as the pilot opened his big fat lying mouth and immediated started walking to NY.

And I took the Jet Blue route around all the dangerous cars that could have run me over and smog and stuff.

Song, Delta, who needs them. For $50.00 you can get a pair of Nikes.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 9:24 am
JRF

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LAOCA:
What's wrong with pilots these days? Screw ATC. Passengers shouldn't be stuck like that. They should have taken off anyway.
</font>
You are totally nuts on this comment.... There would be havic in the skies and crashes all over the place.

Now, if you were stuck on a hot plane on the ground, you could demand to exit the plane and they would have to take you back to the gate. If they refused, a good lawyer and you would never have to work again.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 9:30 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JRF:
You are totally nuts on this comment.... There would be havic in the skies and crashes all over the place.

Now, if you were stuck on a hot plane on the ground, you could demand to exit the plane and they would have to take you back to the gate. If they refused, a good lawyer and you would never have to work again.
</font>
Sarcasm!

Translation: this topic blames Song for circumstances beyond Delta's control. It is a whiny topic and should be ignored.

------------------
"Where's my money?" -- Pizza the Hutt
Old Aug 17, 2003, 10:00 am

Jet Blue cancelled some flights as well. Part of it had to do with available terminal power. Some terminals at JFK had power while others didn't. DL and AA cancelled many flights due to power issues, aircraft and crew availibility. Everyone wanterd to get home. This is not your everyday happening................you can't say DL lied. Believe me, the $$$ lost those few days was not something any of the airlines wanted.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Part of the "lie" was the fact that we were being told no domestic flights were being allowed to land at JFK. Only international flights. They said power was not the issue at the JFK terminal.

JetBlue did not cancel any flights from TPA to JFK on 8/16. Their delays were an hour or less on all of their flights.

[This message has been edited by Ringside (edited 08-17-2003).]
Old Aug 17, 2003, 12:24 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I haven't yet flown Song, but I heard from different friends that Song did cancel alot of their flights. Not weather related. I believe they just don't sell enough seats, and they combine flights. I am hoping this is not the case for my Sept trip.

USAir used to do that to me. Delay my outgoing flights without notifying me, and moving up my returning flights. I ended up losing 3 days on my vacations, and I've to pay for early check out. I remembered that and I never flown USAir again, regardless how much cheaper they are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.