Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Insane K fares

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2003, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Insane K fares

I am trying to use my Delta Amex Companion coupon, which requires a K fare or higher. I was looking to go from HPN to LAS, and for the longest time it was around $456 for a K fare in April. I tried to book today and now the fare is $700.50. For K. (On empty planes). Gimmie a break. Are these people just out of their minds? Now they want $406 for a U fare. I'm sorry, but this is just plain idiotic (and 2/4 the flights are on CRJ planes). There is absolutely NO reason for that kind of price increase. Lately, I think that Delta is TRYING to get rid of their customers!
Old Jan 24, 2003, 8:26 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jml1124:
I am trying to use my Delta Amex Companion coupon, which requires a K fare or higher. I was looking to go from HPN to LAS, and for the longest time it was around $456 for a K fare in April. I tried to book today and now the fare is $700.50. For K. (On empty planes). Gimmie a break. Are these people just out of their minds? Now they want $406 for a U fare. I'm sorry, but this is just plain idiotic (and 2/4 the flights are on CRJ planes). There is absolutely NO reason for that kind of price increase. Lately, I think that Delta is TRYING to get rid of their customers!</font>
I observed a similar phenomena this week in the SAN/BOS market. On Monday, K fare was $425 (pretty standard for this market). On Tuesday, the K fare was pulled and the lowest fare was Q at $640---no T, U, L, or K fares. On Thursday, the K fare reappeared--at $640 along with a U fare at $430.

No way I'm going to earn .5 MQM/mile on a transcon, leaving aside the upgrade issue. Looks like this turn's going to UA if the fares don't return to normal by next week.
Old Jan 24, 2003, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

...And what I can't understand, is that NW/CO in the same market will offer fares under $300 and you get full miles, and they are on real planes.

When I spoke with DL reservations this week, I posed the question - why should I still buy tickets on Delta when your competitors offer the same or in most cases cheaper flights and give full mileage - she didn't have an answer......
Old Jan 24, 2003, 8:39 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
JML - I'm up the road from you in Scarsdale - I've found HPN to be pretty costly lately.

I picked some arbitrary dates in April on LGA-LAS or JFK-LAS and in both cases found Ks for $520. Still more than the $4xx you previously found, but for $200 per ticket, you might want to consider the drive to LGA.

(I do appreciate the &lt;10 mins in and out of HPN, but the RJs and the high fares keep me out of there most of the time.)

Good luck in LAS!
Old Jan 24, 2003, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NYBanker:
JML - I'm up the road from you in Scarsdale - I've found HPN to be pretty costly lately.

I picked some arbitrary dates in April on LGA-LAS or JFK-LAS and in both cases found Ks for $520. Still more than the $4xx you previously found, but for $200 per ticket, you might want to consider the drive to LGA.

(I do appreciate the &lt;10 mins in and out of HPN, but the RJs and the high fares keep me out of there most of the time.)

Good luck in LAS!
</font>
If I have to, I will, but still have a problem paying that much for a fare. Last year I had to go to LAS 5-6 times, and paid the K fare each time and it was around $450 from LGA/JFK and if I went out of JFK, I got BE..

NOT TO MENTION now, that there are flights from LGA/JFK in April are $240 (T)and I can't use the voucher.

This whole system needs to be looked at since it is more broken than it was in the past.

They want customers to buy K and higher to get full mqm, but them make them so insanely overpriced that it is a joke.
Old Jan 25, 2003, 8:49 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, United Silver, Marriott Titanium
I'm looking at flights into LGA a month out and the lowest upgradeable class that I'm getting is M class. The planes are relatively empty. Is Delta trying to get rid of the rest of us?
Old Jan 25, 2003, 10:19 am

FWIW, I've been working in CT for a few months now, and I too have noticed a dramatic increase in fares out of HPN.

Furthermore, BDL is getting pricey too. But I can still find directs BDL-MSP on NW that are wayyyyyyy cheaper than what DL is offering at the moment.
Old Jan 25, 2003, 11:38 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Are you saying that, in order to use the free companion coupon, you have to book the first passenger in K or higher class?

That means that the companion coupon has much less value than you think.

One example, U fares from BOS to MCO cost about $200. K fares cost about $400. (1/15/02). Therefore if you booked that routing for a not too heavy travel period when U fares are available, the coupon has zero value.

Of course there are some dates, such as Sunday after Thanksgiving, whose U and almost as low L fares sell out 331 days in advance and all you can get is K and the higher Q and M fares. Except hat the companion ticket may be capacity controlled as well and you still can't have that date.

I also noticed that 50% off hotel certificates that some airlines gave with their award tickets, are computed using the weekday rack rate. I usually can find other hotels in the area whose everyday rates are less than half.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm

[This message has been edited by AllanJ (edited 01-25-2003).]
Old Jan 25, 2003, 12:54 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
These "high" K fares are what most routes have had for years now ... DL has stopped offering ultra-cheap K fares on some routes and seems to have made the pricing more-or-less uniform across the system. This is a much fairer system, unless you happen to be one of the few that were subsidized by the other DL passengers. DL is still matching Southwest prices on some routes, but only on the U fares.
Old Jan 25, 2003, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
You guys may find this logical, but I found it odd.

Planning a trip in a couple of weeks with a friend, he asked if I could please arrive at the roughly the same time in MSY as he would getting in from MDW on Southwest.
Delta.com was giving me trouble as a round trip, but booked as two one-ways I could get each (LGA - CVG - MSY) itinerary @ $95 (U) when I checked the first time.
When I checked back the next day the Southbound U-fare was history; the only U-fare left got me in several hours later. So, I resigned myself for the K fare down there @ $185 one-way and the $95 U-fare home. However ...

For kicks I decided to try the round-trip as a K-fare and it came up @ $301.50. For $21.50 I thought it was worth locking in a full Platinum upgrade.

Is the round-trip K-fare often that much lower than two one-ways? Without either a Platinum upgrade or an NAMU, I would have taken the later flight.

Since the New Enhancements I've been doing more comparison shopping; Delta is usually significantly more expensive on most routes coach seat vs. coach seat.

[This message has been edited by Points Scrounger (edited 01-25-2003).]
Old Jan 25, 2003, 5:54 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Points Scrounger, two one ways often cost more than one round trip. In fact, sometimes one one-way costs more than one round trip.

Currently NYC-MSY one ways are reasonable because of JetBlue (all coach). Since those are the cheap fares, that's why you are seeing the $95 one way U fares, but the more "Delta"-like higher fares.

I'm going to MSY myself on a one way fare next Tuesday, and it really is a one-way ticket!

[This message has been edited by JS (edited 01-25-2003).]
Old Feb 23, 2003, 8:54 pm

Programs: DL 1.3MM/SM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum
I had to buy a ticket a few weeks ago LAX-MCO, United was having a great sale and DL was matching a round-trip with Sat nite stay at $250.00, wishing to upgrade I priced the K fare and it was $591.00! Quite a difference. (I ended up buying a United Ticket and upgrading at purchase with some old United miles I have)

I wonder if this is something we will be seeing in more markets, more frequently this year, huge differences in insULT and K?
Old Feb 24, 2003, 4:34 am
Original Poster

When I got a call back from the "Excecutive Office" that was one point I complained about, and the woman said the difference should not be so great. I gave examples, and she had nothing to say. When it's more than double, it's pointless to even bother.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 6:47 am

Nearly a month ago I made a reservation for FLL-ABQ. The cheapest price quoted was $220. With the funds coming out of "Hip National Bank" I felt I could slightly more than double that for the assurance of a K fare. Imagine my surprise when the least expensive upgradable fare was quoted (and later confirmed by DL) as $730. This PM/MM will be sitting in Dungeon Class and thinking about a move to other airlines that may not be so unreasonable.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 7:49 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NYBanker:
JML - I'm up the road from you in Scarsdale - I've found HPN to be pretty costly lately.</font>
HPN will always be more costly since there are fewer seats and less competition. I do prefer Comair into CVG over ASA in ATL.

Cheers.

p.s. -- NYBanker ... I'm in Scarsdale too, maybe we should setup a Westchester Cty Flyertalk meeting, perhaps at the LGA CRC...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.