Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help requested with Europe award travel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2003, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Help requested with Europe award travel

I am a Delta PM who has 300K miles in my Delta account and would like to use them for a family vacation to Ireland next summer (2004) for four people. I sense is that it is very competitive, and I was wondering if any board members could offer any tips.

Should I get my hopes up? Will I be forced to look at Sky Choice?

Should you call at midnight 331 days before?

Once your book your outbound, how hard is it to match up your return flight?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old Jun 9, 2003, 5:10 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
If you have your heart set on the DL ATL-DUB non-stop, I would call as soon as the seats become available or darn close.

If you don't mind connecting via CDG and taking AF into DUB, it'll be much easier. For example, I boooked two first class AF tickets to CPH for the end of July only 3 months out. The only "inconvenience" was that I have to stay one more day than I anticipated, so sometimes you get lucky. [I am doing a stopover in Paris- hardly bad news!]

For what it is worth, I find DL's B/E much better than AF's business class so try to get on the DL flights- I just did them last month and they were very enjoyable.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 8:57 am

If you are patient and have some flexibility, you should be able to get what you want.

Not sure if I really believe this, but SMS told me when I was booking my family's European trip for this summer that they can force SkySaver award availability for PMs in coach...so if you are only looking for coach seats you should be OK.

If you are looking for some B/E seats, I agree with LINDEGR's counsel - call early and often if you have your heart set on a particular flight. If the non-stops into Ireland aren't available, start checking with the Partner Award Desk and look at connections through CDG, MXP, FCO, or PRA. AMS might be an option (via KLM) for next summer if the reports are to be believed. If you are going for B/E awards, take DL to the European partner hub and connect there, as B/E is better than the partners' J class (not sure if this is true for KLM). The award cost is the same (80k for J awards). Good luck.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 10:03 am

Location: Nassau, Bahamas. ex EAL ET, 4MM. DL GM, MM. Co Silver.
We flew ATL DUB 2 years ago and were immediately confirmed in B/E using SWU's to upgrade our M tickets. We were even able to change dates w/o trouble. So book as early as possible, and be flexible on the dates. Tues-Wed-Thurs are the best days.
Old Jun 11, 2003, 1:26 pm

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
Megadoo1: I see you are from SLC. My advice to you is the following: as close to the 331 days prior to departure as possible you go to the Delta SLC office tucked away around the corner from Orange Julius in the ZCMI center and ask one of the agents there to help. The staff there is unifomrly helpful and often will spend an hour or more calling around to make your itinerary work. This has always worked much better for me than calling an 800-number, especially since it may take booking some of the tickets through a partner airline (though still flying solely on Delta metal), some on a Delta award with the agents having the technology to make sure you end up on the same flight in adjacent seats. I have never left that office without some satisfying outcome when having to get awards for more than one family member.

Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.