Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

How much did Delta pay for JFK-NRT route authority?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much did Delta pay for JFK-NRT route authority?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2006, 8:53 am
Original Poster

How much did Delta pay for JFK-LGW route authority?

I heard it was in the millions. Anyone confirm? And in bankruptcy?

Last edited by bumpme; Jul 28, 2006 at 9:01 am
Old Jul 28, 2006, 9:00 am

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
Don't you mean JFK-LGW ?
Old Jul 28, 2006, 9:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bumpme
I heard it was in the millions. Anyone confirm? And in bankruptcy?
DL has flown JFK-NRT in the past and still has the authority and sufficient slots at NRT to resume service in the future.

They have agreed to purchase NYC-LON authority from UA for $13 million at closing and $2 million a year for four years ($21 million). Payments will stop if an Open Skies agreement is reached.

Bankruptcy should not be an issue since DL has sufficient cash and the revenue opportunities are significant.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by sxf24
DL has flown JFK-NRT in the past and still has the authority and sufficient slots at NRT to resume service in the future.
Actually, while they have the route authority, they don't have the slots, as those were sold to FedEx when they dropped JFK-NRT. Besides, NRT is still too limited to let an airline just keep some unused slots.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 9:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DAL767-400ER
Actually, while they have the route authority, they don't have the slots, as those were sold to FedEx when they dropped JFK-NRT. Besides, NRT is still too limited to let an airline just keep some unused slots.
I believe they're only being leased.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 3:28 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
I can't help but think that JFK-NRT on DL will be back in the not-too-distant future. With the addition of LGW to the JFK network and the renewed commitment to JFK, NRT absolutely HAS to be re-introduced. Especially with yesterday's announcement that UA is withdrawing from JFK-NRT, I think the likelihood has increased even more.

In terms of available aircraft, I don't think that should be an issue. This winter, the 777 has only been slotted for ATL-NRT, ATL-TLV, ATL-JFK-BOM, and ATL-FRA. This pretty much ties up 6, at most 7, of the 8 available 777s. If they could restart it this winter, they could simply switch ATL-FRA (DL20) back to the 763ER (assuming there wasn't a hugely compelling reason to keep the 777 on the route) or even to a refurbished 764ER. As for next spring/summer, the same utilization would apply as all of this summer's 777 TATL routes could be serviced by the 764ERs.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 5:15 am

Well, if DL could get the flights scheduled well, they would only need 3 planes to operate a potential BOM-JFK-NRT route, and another 3 for the TLV-ATL-NRT route, thereby maximizing fleet use, and they'd still have 2 777s left to operate ATL-CDG-CVG and vv.
Of course they also still have plans for JFK-TLV, though with the recent conflict, they are probably on the backburner.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
In terms of available aircraft, I don't think that should be an issue. This winter, the 777 has only been slotted for ATL-NRT, ATL-TLV, ATL-JFK-BOM, and ATL-FRA. This pretty much ties up 6, at most 7, of the 8 available 777s.
They will be pulled off the line throughout the winter for cabin refurbishments and scheduled maintenance.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Delta reach agreement with Boeing for acceleration of 777 deliveries currently scheduled for 2008 and 2009.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.