Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Moderators, Get a Grip! (regards: "Not even a shrug....stupid Witch")

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2003, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff

Come on, moderators! Just because a topic is heated and exciting, there is no reason to shut it down. The original poster's position was very unpopular... just let him take his beating from the other posters.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Given the topic, tone and content of your thread, I believe that the DL Board will be better served if this thread were closed</font>
I wholeheartedly disagree. Moderators, save your bullets for once-a-year type situations, let the market work out the rest.

[Edited to alter characterization of original poster. My earlier commentary took away from the point of my post, which was anti-moderator, and not anti-rrz518]

[This message has been edited by andymo99 (edited 03-27-2003).]
Old Mar 27, 2003, 8:44 am

Programs: SkyMiles MM, HHonors Gold, Avis, Hertz
I agree with andymo99.

I just read the thread, and think that while the thread originator was a bit hot-headed, the discussion did not get out of hand. Most replies were in line with the original posted.

Me thinks you pulled the trigger a bit too fast.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 9:02 am

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
"The original poster is a moron".....

Hmmmm, and I guess that you thought my tone was abrasive......

Well, this "moron" is now choosing, wisely, to spend his money elsewhere, where it is appreciated. (Sad to say, the options are less and less available, but they are still there).

And, might I add, I did not stoop to insulting, or even challenging, that employee in public.

However, your public berating makes the definintion of a "moron" a bit less clear, eh?
Old Mar 27, 2003, 10:03 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Personally, I feel that the topic should have been continued in this thread, and not have started in a separate thread - and certainly without the personal attacks.

For what it is worth, I believe that threads should only be locked if they are clearly duplicates of other threads within the same forum, or if they undoubtedly violate the terms of FlyerTalk.

Moderators, close this thread!

Just kidding...
Old Mar 27, 2003, 10:21 am

I agree that moderators should reserve their powers for more potent themes.

Of course, a moderator has been known to edit another persons post. I believe this to be bogus and unacceptable. Such a move should be reserved for Randy only.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 12:10 pm

I'm borderline on the moderator side. The only thing left was a beating.

Old Mar 27, 2003, 12:31 pm

Programs: Delta DM/Amex Reserve 2 Million Miler
In defense of rrz518 which appears to be Hollywood, FL and I can assume he flies out of FLL...I usually dread coming in contact with a the counter personnel/gate agents..they can get your trip off to a bad start..I guess they are overworked and underpaid. Tell them your a medallion and they look at you like your stupid .there are of course some very good
people in FLL also. 2 of them were redcoats but now I don't know ?
Look for someone smiling and it's a good place to start.....

Watch out for the spanish lady with the bullhorn..her job beleive or not appears to be rounding up all the coach cattle for the 767-400's the the Delta Express flights.

[This message has been edited by robnsfla (edited 03-27-2003).]
Old Mar 27, 2003, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
robnsfla contribution here is a great example of why the previous thread should not have been locked. There was further constructive conversation to be had.

Canarsie writes:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Personally, I feel that the topic should have been continued in this thread, and not have started in a separate thread - and certainly without the personal attacks.</font>
I disagree, Canarsie. This deserved its own thread because it has given us an opportunity to re-open the dialogue about rrz518's experience. In the thread you suggest, it would have been buried in a two page discussion.

[This message has been edited by andymo99 (edited 03-27-2003).]
Old Mar 27, 2003, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rrz518:
"The original poster is a moron"...</font>
I altered my original post because it was not civil. It also detracted from my point, which was anti-moderator, and not anti-rrz.

rrz518, like most of the others, I think your content and attitude in the original post was wrong. However, my point here is that the moderators' (I use the plural because I think they usually close threads by consensus) action is bewildering. My point is further proven by the fact that others are still trying to discuss your original post in this thread.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 1:32 pm

The spanish lady with the bullhorn at FLL.

I laughed out loud at that one. She once almost ordered me to use the kiosk instead of the FC/Medallion check in line. I told her I was flying FC, and I got the most distasteful look. I now avoid her like she has the walking plague.

Of course, being more of a seasoned traveller, I check in on my PC at home and go right to the gate.

Oh - to stay on topic...**** shame to close that original thread..it was more interesting than a lot of these other open ones!
Old Mar 27, 2003, 1:39 pm

andymo99,

I agree with your position; I feel as though our “moderators” are more interested in censoring this forum for their own personal taste than anything else.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 2:10 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Quote by Andymo99"my point here is that the moderators' (I use the plural because I think they usually close threads by consensus) action is bewildering"
Please do not assign blame for closing the thread to my 3 co-moderators. This was a unilateral decision. Often, a thread is closed by consensus; other times it may be closed by a single moderator. In this case, it was my judgement that the thread, for the reasons stated ,should be closed. Did I act too hastily? Perhaps, and for that I take full responsibility. Closing, moving threads is always a judgement call. We're not going to get it right, all of the time. I do trust that we'll get it right most of the time.
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator

[This message has been edited by obscure2k (edited 03-27-2003).]
Old Mar 27, 2003, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Thank you for the "civility adjustment" to the post. However, I would like to try another way to describe my understanding of the situation with an analogy....

Let's say that you stay with the same hotel company all year (maybe even at the same hotel), and you are a fairly good customer (at least in your eyes).

You have an opportunity for a vacation, on your dime. You choose not to redeem any points, like I said, it's all on your dime.

This hotel company has a great promotion available, and you take advantage of it. By the way, the same rate for that promotion is available at every single hotel in town, but you choose "your old standby".

You also know that for a variety of reasons, the hotel is mostly empty, including the Club Floor.

Knowing full well you didn't pay for the Club Floor room (but you didn't put a gun to the hotel's head for the rate either!!!), you still (politely) ask the desk agent for a room up there. Again knowing full well you are NOT displacing a full rate customer....

The desk agent simply looks at your rate, and says "nope".

Wouldn't you be steamed? The room will sit empty. Knowing that you are a darn good customer, and your choice of hotels made you a that good customer, you could have easily gone elsewhere.

It's just that lack of recognition, the attitude that they would rather let the room (seat) go empty rather than give it to you....I won't even go into the MSU argument and whether or not those are earned, etc.

It's the principle of letting a premium product go unused, when a premium customer has requested it and it would be the RIGHT thing to do, from a customer service standpoint.

Yet, you get nothing but a pompous, "don't give a S*** attitude". Wouldn't you holler for the MOD at that point?

Back to the hotel analogy, I would bet that most or all of you hotel Platinums, Silvers, etc. agree with me on this (at least in principle)....!!!!!

Old Mar 27, 2003, 3:00 pm

The enhancement you are asking for starts May 1.

Do you expect to get upgraded to F on an empty flight flying an award ticket?
Old Mar 27, 2003, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
Folks:

Get over your petty differences and get back to posting constructive content on this board. Stop wasting readership time (like mine) with this relentless food fight. Thicker skins prevail..

Thanks..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.