Wiki Posts
Search

Is Delta Trying to Woo Lex & GG Back?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2003, 11:41 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Is Delta Trying to Woo Lex & GG Back?

Special fares are now being offered from Lexington, Kentucky and Knoxville on Delta Air Lines.

Coincidence?...

[This message has been edited by Canarsie (edited 03-03-2003).]
Old Mar 3, 2003, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Diamond, *wood plat, UA 1kc
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Canarsie:
Special fares are now being offered from Lexington, Kentucky and Knoxville on Delta Air Lines.

Coincidence?...

[This message has been edited by Canarsie (edited 03-03-2003).]
</font>
Perhaps, but more than likely an attempt to fill up the new LEX and TYS-DFW service...

Old Mar 3, 2003, 12:25 pm

Programs: NW-PE, Blue Star SeaSmiles
Not bad fares, definitely not mileage run fares but as usual a lot better than we get here at CVG.
Old Mar 3, 2003, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Silver
This is just amazing. It costs $181 R/T from LEX-LAX. However, CVG-LAX costs $510. Hmmm...
Old Mar 3, 2003, 1:13 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Yes, but LEX-DFW is on a CRJ. Two hours and forty minutes on a CRJ.
Old Mar 3, 2003, 1:23 pm

Programs: NW-PE, Blue Star SeaSmiles
Of course you could drive to IND pay $153.00 and fly right back to CVG to catch that $510.00 flight. I wonder if Delta would comp the frequent driver miles for CVG'ers.

"Better to have lived at a Hub than never to have Hubbed at all"
Old Mar 3, 2003, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CVGHostage:
Of course you could drive to IND pay $153.00 and fly right back to CVG to catch that $510.00 flight. I wonder if Delta would comp the frequent driver miles for CVG'ers.

"Better to have lived at a Hub than never to have Hubbed at all"
</font>
CVG Hostage... Welcome to the CVG ripoff airline.

You hit the nail on the head.

CVG-EWR 900+ Day-EWR 500+ same CVG EWR flight.

You gotta love whoever came up with the fare schedule
Old Mar 3, 2003, 2:54 pm
GG

Not bloody likely.

$181 on a torture jet to DFW is no bargain in my book, anyway.

Last fall DL was offering $106 SDF-LAX fares - that's seriously cheap (and you could fly on real planes too, albeit in steerage.

Kubla has it right: they're promoting the new RJ service... a bad sign for LEX DL flyers imo.

And once again, let me say that CVG only sometimes has a lot more expensive fares than we do. It'll cost an extra $300 a ticket to fly LEX-CVG-LGW, for instance (that's more than $2 a mile), instead of driving 70 miles to CVG and flying non-stop. Guess which we always did?
Old Mar 3, 2003, 4:43 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
The situation in TYS, one of my frequent airports, is really sad from the Delta perspective. Things have gone from eight or nine mainline flights a day to ATL down now to four (three on Saturday). And to make matters worse, instead of substituting RJs for the flights, they're flying ASA ATR-72 props. Basically, they're saying (through their actions) that they need more than 50 seats, but they're unwilling to put in a mainline jet (and wouldn't this be an ideal market for a 100 seat mainline jet?). It's very frustrating to see an airline give up on a market that has always been strong for it in the past.
Old Mar 3, 2003, 5:51 pm

The special fares are nothing more than an attempt to fill the RJs on the new DFW run. They will attract a few die-hard bargain hunters, but no regular flyer is going to submit him/herself to two hours in an RJ seat if he/she has any other choice. The better alternative is NW either through Detroit or Memphis. Prediction...the DL LEX-DFW route will be gone within a year.
Old Mar 3, 2003, 7:16 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
mhbaker: I sure wish your prediction is right. My prediction is that the real jets with FC to ATL and CVG will be gone in a year, and DFW will be up to three torture jets a day.

Interesting how spin goes... GG got a letter telling her how important a Delta flyer she is, offering a free round-trip ticket if she flies 12000 MQMs in the next whenever.

I get almost the exact same letter ("you're so important to us, blah blah blah"), but I'm offered a handy-dandy AMEX $50 gift certificate for the same drudgery.

Guess I know where I stand in the Delta suck-up-list right now.

Northwest at least is only teasing us with something silly called Milespalooza which -- surprise -- rewards you better if you buy more expensive tickets.

Old Mar 3, 2003, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Cornered in CVG:
This is just amazing. It costs $181 R/T from LEX-LAX. However, CVG-LAX costs $510. Hmmm...</font>
You found a better CVG-LAX fare that I did. For the dates I need to go the fare is a B class for $1,219. IND-LAX $171.50 in T. The K is about $500. But look you get 5700 MQMs from CVG and only 2400 from IND. Is my match on that right? A premium of only $.317 per MQM. But better yet, take 7 of those cheaper flights and get 16,800 MQMS for only $1200.
Old Mar 3, 2003, 8:02 pm
R-

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LexPassenger:

Interesting how spin goes... GG got a letter telling her how important a Delta flyer she is, offering a free round-trip ticket if she flies 12000 MQMs in the next whenever.

I get almost the exact same letter ("you're so important to us, blah blah blah"), but I'm offered a handy-dandy AMEX $50 gift certificate for the same drudgery.

[/B]</font>
It is a marketing kind of affirmative action. My wife and daughter (age 9) regularly get more (and much better) offers from Delta than do my son and I. The four of us always fly as a group. My wife asked why they are targeted and we are not since we have identical travel patterns and address, and was told they specifically target women. It doesn't really matter anymore since we stopped flying Delta this year. (That is 6 trips x 4 people = 24 full Y fares so far this year). It is also interesting that since leaving Delta we have 0 segments on RJ.
Old Mar 3, 2003, 8:20 pm
GG

I told Lex that I'd much rather have the 50 bucks than fly in Delta steerage, which it goes without saying is what the "free" ticket would be.

Robert Leach, you mean like a 717? ... don't we wish. They seem very popular with AirTran, eh?

The question about MQMs is still: what are you going to do with the status when you get it?

------------------
email on profile

[This message has been edited by GG (edited 03-03-2003).]
Old Mar 4, 2003, 11:37 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LexPassenger:

</font>
I got a similar letter that offered 10,000 bonus Skymiles if I earn 12,000 MQM 3/1/03-4/14/03.

[This message has been edited by I-65 (edited 03-04-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.