Search

Sunday CVG Security Breach

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2003, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Sunday CVG Security Breach

Anyone have the details on this? I was lucky and just missed it (got caught up in a little of the aftermath) but apparently there were people who waited in line more than 4 hours to re-clear security. There were 4 different stories I heard at the airport, I won't speculate which one may be correct.
Old Mar 17, 2003, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
My wife got caught up in it. Her flight from TPA arrived just before they evacuated the terminals. SHe had to stand in line for just under 4 hours to re-clear security. There were several rumors floating around about why it happened, but she didn't have any idea which one might be true, if any.
Old Mar 17, 2003, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Security breach causes airport havoc

HEBRON - A security breach at Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport Sunday afternoon resulted in the delay or cancellation of 20 Delta Air Lines flights.

The breach occurred just before 2 p.m. in the international portion of Concourse 3 when a male passenger failed to go through a second checkpoint, said airport spokesman Ted Bushelman.

The man couldn't be located. Passengers in Concourses A, B and C had to go through a rescreening process, Bushelman said. Those concourses are in separate building near Terminal 3.

"We're just getting our operation back to normal," Delta spokeswoman Catherine Stengel said about 7 p.m. Sunday.

The security breach affected 10 outgoing Delta flights, Stengel said. Most were delays, but there were a few cancellations, she said.

Old Mar 17, 2003, 7:48 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
My flight from ORD to CVG was so badly delayed by the havoc that I had to reroute on AA. Pity. I think the TSA owes Delta a lot of $$$ for once again implementing the only solution they seem to know - evacuate the terminal.

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old Mar 17, 2003, 10:53 am

I was there. Security was shut down at approximately 1:50P and did not reopen until approximately 3:50P. I was just about to pass through the metal detector when the TSA suspended screening. It could have easily taken 2 hrs. for someone at the end of the line to make it through. Luckily, I was able to maintain my position when they closed and thus was first when they reopened. Unfortunately, DL cancelled my 2:45P flight to GRR. I was able to get on the 5:22P. Thanks to a Platinum standby code.
Old Mar 17, 2003, 8:11 pm

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Do any people at their gates ready to board miss their flight waiting to be rerecleared following this kind of security breach?

Or do the planes wait for them?

Do they have means of reclearing passengers first before clearing for the first time others who were not involved in the evacuation?

Wait a minute...The security persons should give a receipt to each passenger as s/he clears, the receipt is similar to a subway proof of payment voucher and to be kept until the passenger is on the plane and the plane has departed. In case of evacuation, passengers with the receipt can cut in front of passengers without. (If you know what a Disney fastpass is...)

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm

What would happen if an airline in bankruptcy fails to pay security bills, gate bills and ticket taxes, so that it is the act of the IRS' padlocking things that is the actual moment of shutting down?

[This message has been edited by AllanJ (edited 03-17-2003).]

[This message has been edited by AllanJ (edited 03-17-2003).]
Old Mar 18, 2003, 8:00 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
A better solution would be just to stop mindlessly evacuating terminals.

Delta had to cancel several flights on Sunday. Will the TSA remiburse Delta for the TSA's incompetence?

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.