Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta is going to test CAPPS II

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2003, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

The risk of hackers or even the gov't using this information and causes serious damage is so much higher than any terrorist threat. In fact, on could argue that the removal of various personal freedoms and privacy will encourage more "normal" Americans to go off the deep end and begin to fight the gov't which in itself creates more terrorist types. Where will this all lead?

And all the result of one day in history where 4 planeload of people did what will never be repeated - ALLOW the plane to be taken over. What is wrong with this picture?
Old Feb 28, 2003, 11:03 am

Your post "In the News" board.

I can't seem to past the url correctly.

marc
Old Feb 28, 2003, 12:14 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
You might post your objections to my comments in that thread and I will be happy to address them there.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Marq:
Your post "In the News" board.

I can't seem to past the url correctly.

marc
</font>
Old Feb 28, 2003, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA 1P, DL SM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Canarsie:
I am looking for a flight to the United States of America. I want to go back home now.

Can anyone tell me what airline flies there? Please help me find it???
</font>

Home is gone. If you want your acustomed freedoms, it is time to move.

I wonder if that little house in Cajamarca is still available? Might be time to buy.
Old Feb 28, 2003, 3:30 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dbk10:
So are they going to run a credit check on me every time I fly? I'll never be able to purchase anything, my credit will be so low from all of the checks. And if these machines are checking our bank accounts and credit histories, then it only opens one more door for hackers to gain access to them also. I don't think they have this right of invasion.</font>
Any such checks would not count for the purposes of lending - just as your auto insurance company checking doesn't today. Come to that, neither do employment credit checks.

Old Feb 28, 2003, 3:34 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
Someone will instantly tell you that you GIVE them this right when you VOLUNTARILY buy a plane ticket. I don't happen to agree, but I've heard the argument so often, I thought I'd save someone else the time and make it for them.

Bruce
</font>
Only if the US government gives the system operator the right. Given the general disregard for liberty in the Patriot Act I assume such rights would be granted.

The US attitude to individual privacy already has them in hot water in Europe. Although I am *for* profiling I'm not too convinced of the merits of some approaches.

Old Feb 28, 2003, 6:23 pm

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Will airlines refund tickets if the passenger is prevented from flying because of CAPPS criteria?

I disagree with the "red" category that CAPPS II defines. There should be some physical item found on the person at the time of flying needed to deny flight, not just information taken from the CAPPS system.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm
Old Mar 1, 2003, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I've wondered about this, too. For instance, let's say you have a non-refundable ticket but don't want to use it for some reason (like a family member is ill, or whatever). Just go to the airport and act suspicious -- but don't make a bomb joke or something that gets arrested! -- and maybe you can get that refund after all. Probably all that you need to do is be uncooperative at the checkpoint. A bad attitude may be enough these days to get you sent home!

If the airline or the TSA decides that you shouldn't fly, I can't imagine that they simply keep your money. Good question!!!

Bruce
Old Mar 11, 2003, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
According to today's New York Times, Delta VOLUNTEERED to test CAPPS II. They say that www.boycottdelta.com has not affected them (but how would they know that?).

For lots more information about this, see (free subscription required):

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/11/business/11ROAD.html

Bruce
Old Mar 11, 2003, 8:57 am

I wonder how the system will handle people who pay for their tickets with cash or a check?

You do not want to be level red--that means you are on the do not fly list. If you get put on this list, you better get used to greyhound.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.