Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Does Anyone Else Have Two DL Amex Platinum Cards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2003, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,

I realized early safter the DL platinum card was introduced that based on my profligate spending habits, I could possibly get the $25K threashold bonus more than once if I had a second card. So I did apply and receive a second platinum Amex DL card with the FULL knowledge of Amex... no secrets or subterfuge. Since that happened several years ago, these two cards have been battling each other at DL with the points and mileage not being accepted by SkyMiles. Every so often, I call up Amex (by now, I have a particular contact) and he gets the DL liason person who works at Amex and somehow the miles are "hand carried" over. A couple of years ago the glitch was supposed to have been fixed but no joy. But what a pain in the posterior! Does anyone else have more than one Amex DL card and have they run into similar problems?
Old Mar 5, 2003, 11:07 am

Programs: Delta DM/Amex Reserve 2 Million Miler
I have 2, kind of...one is mine and the other is a second card on my mom's account so when I get to 25k then I help my mom get to 25k..however they link obviously to differnt Skymiles accounts .
Both of my cards are linked to my bank account so I can pay "my charges" over the phone..works great.
Old Mar 5, 2003, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RobertS975:
I realized early safter the DL platinum card was introduced that based on my profligate spending habits, I could possibly get the $25K threashold bonus more than once if I had a second card. So I did apply and receive a second platinum Amex DL card with the FULL knowledge of Amex... no secrets or subterfuge. Since that happened several years ago, these two cards have been battling each other at DL with the points and mileage not being accepted by SkyMiles. Every so often, I call up Amex (by now, I have a particular contact) and he gets the DL liason person who works at Amex and somehow the miles are "hand carried" over. A couple of years ago the glitch was supposed to have been fixed but no joy. But what a pain in the posterior! Does anyone else have more than one Amex DL card and have they run into similar problems?</font>
Robert, what is it that DL is taking issue with? Is it the 10k base miles they have to give to you on each card for 25k in annual purchases?

Old Mar 5, 2003, 12:39 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RobertS975:
Does anyone else have more than one Amex DL card and have they run into similar problems?</font>
I don't have two DL AMEX Platinum cards but I do have the DL Platinum AMEX and another DL AMEX. Miles from both post OK.

Old Mar 5, 2003, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

It is not the 10K bonys base miles at issue. I cannot even get regular miles for charges to post without special treatment. Every few months, I get a letter from Amex telling me that the SM # linked to the account is not valid as per Delta. Well, the SM# is quite correct, and eventually the DL liason does something to get the miles properly posted.

Having 2 Amex DL cards, platinum or otherwise is against no rules at either Amex or DL, but it sure seems to screw up the computers!

[This message has been edited by RobertS975 (edited 03-05-2003).]
Old Mar 5, 2003, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Why don't you dump one of your DL Amexes and apply for a Starwood Amex?

Use the Delta Amex for the everyday double miles and when you hit the 25K cap, start using the Starwood card.

$20K spend on the Starwood card nets 25K Skymiles.

Best of both worlds and eliminates your periodic customer service call.

[This message has been edited by skofarrell (edited 03-05-2003).]
Old Mar 5, 2003, 3:38 pm

I have a Gold DL AMEX and the Platinum one. Never had any problems with normal miles posting. Did have a problem recently with the Oct triple miles promo, at first they said only my Gold gold was eligible. Upon challenging that they did give me the bonus miles for my Platinum card charges as well.

Jeff
Old Mar 5, 2003, 11:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Miles, Delta Skymiles and Starwood Preferred Guest
I have two DL Amex Platinum cards and have had them for two years, my wife has one. Until this January my miles posted like clockwork. Amex customer service advises DL rejected my miles for Jan. and Feb. due to my name on the Amex accounts and my FF account did not match exactly. My Amex account had my middle initial and my FF account did not. They said it's been fixed but I'm still waiting for the miles to post. It appears that until this Jan. they ignored the middle initial match/doesn't match issue.
I'm also waiting for my 10,000 MQM's to post and wonder if DL will allow the MQM's for both of my cards? We exceed the $25,000 spending threshold on each of the cards, but last year DL would not allow both 10,000 mile bonuses to post as base miles. They did issue 10,000 bonus miles for each card however.
Old Mar 6, 2003, 12:57 am
Original Poster

I have had trouble right from the start, but I have been able to get two 10K base miles bonuses. After all, that was the whole purpose of having two cards! But as stated, everything has always had to be handcarried over in order to post. One positive aspect of this was that I could control somewhat as to when the 10K hit the SM acct simply by waiting till after the end of the year. Then the base miles would be credited to the new calendar year.
Old Mar 6, 2003, 3:58 am

Location: DL: PM/2M; UA: 1K; AA: Plat/2MM; SQ: PPS; US: Plat; Starwood: Plat; Hilton: Diam Hyatt: Diam; Loews Plat; Avis: Chair.
There's a 25000 mile max using the card? Is it waived for certain elite levels?
Old Mar 6, 2003, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
No, it's a $25,000 MINIMUM required to earn the 10,000-base-mile promotional bonus -- ONLY on the Platinum Optima card! Obviously, you can spend less than $25,000, but then you won't get the 10,000 additional base miles, only bonus miles based on actual spending. You can also spend more than $25,000. The Platinum Optima card has no limit on annual bonus mileage accrued through regular spending.

Bruce
Old Mar 6, 2003, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
It may well not be an issue with DL Mgmt, but instead the "system". It probably has a link between ONE Amex # and ONE DL Skymiles #. You keep breaking that link.

On a related note, I really could not see much reason in keeping my Delta AMEX card. Why spend the annual fee for miles that I may not care about? I called to cancel, and they offered me a cash back card and NO ANNUAL FEE. So, I will stick with them for a while.
Old Mar 6, 2003, 8:07 am
Original Poster

The DL Amex platinum fee is reduced to about $75 annually if you are a current regular platinum card holder. So I figured that this cost was worth 10K base miles that I would earn with each card, plus the companion certificate, which I have frankly never used.
Summary: 10K base miles for $75... a no-brainer if your spending levels are high.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.