Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

SkyMiles to Expire in 2 Years Beginning January 2007

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SkyMiles to Expire in 2 Years Beginning January 2007

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2006, 6:02 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mikey1003
Then they should not offer a fare that they will lose money! Herein lies the problem...A screwed up pricing system
I'm not a marketing guru, but it seems that there's some benefit to offering "below cost" sales sometimes. Lots of consumer marketers seem to do it. I dunno???
Old Jul 10, 2006, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by John C
To those who do not object to Delta changing the rules, would you be similarly agreeable if Congress and the IRS decide to tax the withdrawals from your Roth IRA once you enter retirement? After all, wouldn't that be fair since you won't be paying any taxes at that point and the government's job is to collect current revenue and not worry about the past? Would you be OK if a former employer reduced your pension and made you come to work occasionally to keep it active? After all, they aren't getting any work from you any more.
I fully expect 401Ks to be taxed by the time I retire, no matter what promises are made by politicians. In fact, I believe that some policy papers have been circulated in Washington along these lines.

Employers HAVE reduced benefits for retirees in the past. Again, I expect to see this trend continue.
Originally Posted by John C
Frequent flyer programs might be aimed at getting current revenue, but that revenue is given on good faith with the expectations that the deferred benefits promised will be honored. The issue isn't only about what will drive additional revenue now, it is also about the decay of integrity in Corporate America and revolving door management teams not feeling bound to honor the promises of their predecessors. For those who will suggest that bankruptcy lifts any such obligations – you are right. But the broken promises began long before the filing and these “enhancements” are less about true restructuring than they are about removing promises that are merely inconvenient.
Is is a "decay of integrity"? Or is it perhaps more an issue of plain old affordability? Businesses made promises they thought they could keep and now discover they can't. What should they do?
Old Jul 10, 2006, 8:23 am

Programs: Delta MM
Originally Posted by jimrpa
Is is a "decay of integrity"? Or is it perhaps more an issue of plain old affordability? Businesses made promises they thought they could keep and now discover they can't. What should they do?
For things like this, I believe that it is exactly that. In many cases, competitive pressures accelerate the decay. We as consumers have ourselves to blame in that often we shop for the lowest price and ignore all else. That is a modern phenomena and I am not convinced it serves us very well. But surely you can not take the position that Delta cannot afford to keep the old frequent flier program? It may be inconvenient. It may respresent some minor additional cost. But that is not the lynchpin that will determine if and when they can emerge from bankruptcy.

With bigger issues such as pensions, our government is largely to blame for not enforcing "pay as you go" and for allowing the pension assets to remain on the balance sheet as a corporate asset. It should be an independent trust asset of the beneficiaries that is untouchable by the corporate entity once paid.

I know it isn't in vogue these days to keep promises that are difficult. We've become a society that accepts sincerity in place of integrity. That's a shame. Believe it or not, it hasn't always been this way. There was a time when the measure of a man was the ends he would go to in order to protect his honor.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
Delta no longer has a Frequent Flier program. It was replaced with the SkyMiles program several years ago. If you still have your original card and docs, you will see that the old program was called "Delta Frequent Flier".

So Delta kept their word. They axed the program, with over 10 years of notice, and so your miles will expire eventually.
That's total nonsense! At the time Delta promised old awards would always be available under the old redemption schedule if we maintained Medallion status, the SkyMiles program had already been in effect for about 6 months. There is a big difference between the "Delta Frequent Flier" program and "a frequent flyer program" (of which SkyMiles is an example).

Furthermore there was no "10 years of notice", in fact they notified us that the miles would never expire!
Old Jul 10, 2006, 12:15 pm

I fully expect 401Ks to be taxed by the time I retire, no matter what promises are made by politicians.
AFAIK 401K withdrawals are already taxed.
Is is a "decay of integrity"? Or is it perhaps more an issue of plain old affordability?
For some people shoplifting is also an issue of "plain old affordability".
Old Jul 10, 2006, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by sxf24
I can't imagine a person who doesn't fly a revenue flight, have a DL Amex or earn with a non-airline partner at least once every two years being that concerned about their balance expiring.
I have a large SkyMiles balance. I fly on about one to two Delta flights a year, but because of a change in travel patterns, fly a LOT on Continental so I choose to earn miles with them. With the SkyMiles joint earning opportunities, I can't imagine I'm the only one.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 12:38 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kersie
I have a large SkyMiles balance. I fly on about one to two Delta flights a year, but because of a change in travel patterns, fly a LOT on Continental so I choose to earn miles with them. With the SkyMiles joint earning opportunities, I can't imagine I'm the only one.
Why not earn enough on DL (either flying DL or CO) for an award that you want, and then redeem for that award and close the Delta account? Makes more sense to credit all SkyTeam flights to one account rather than have two accounts in SkyTeam.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by kersie
ok, so credit one CO flight every two years to DL. Pretty simple!
Old Jul 10, 2006, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by gilpin
AFAIK 401K withdrawals are already taxed.
ah, but not income earned by the account before it's withdrawn. Remember, we have a $400B+ war to pay for!
Originally Posted by gilpin
For some people shoplifting is also an issue of "plain old affordability".
Interesting, but probably not a valid or fair comparison.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 7:38 pm

ok, so credit one CO flight every two years to DL. Pretty simple!
It is, if you're not trying to make elite and coming this close every year This is my issue, not theirs, and totally fixable. The two years doesn't bother me, I understand it from a business perspective and whatnot, but it just requires that I'm more aware. I was more responding to a concept that I, as somebody not currently earning DL miles, is not somebody DL should be trying to woo back.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 7:56 pm

With no disrespect to some of the situations described, here are some simple solutions:
Elderly parents who suddenly can't use their SkyMiles for a while: Take them to dinner and give the restaurant their SkyMiles number.
Where can I find a list of restaurants that do this? The SkyMiles Dining program seems to give miles to the SkyMiles account associated with the credit card used to purchase the meal, not a SkyMiles number provided to the restaurant. Thanks!
Old Jul 10, 2006, 8:10 pm

Programs: BD, DL, UA, AA, Marriott, SPG
Originally Posted by starflyer
Where can I find a list of restaurants that do this? The SkyMiles Dining program seems to give miles to the SkyMiles account associated with the credit card used to purchase the meal, not a SkyMiles number provided to the restaurant. Thanks!
The answer remains the same .....

True, that's a bit of a "gotcha'. Have Mom and Dad register a CC with SkyMiles dining. They pay for dinner, and you give them cash.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by piyush
The answer remains the same .....
Thanks to all! Guess I need glasses.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 9:36 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec Elite, Delta
um... I think this is why they call it a FREQUENT flyer program.

Sorry folks.. if you've had no activity for 2 years, you're not a FREQUENT flyer.. you're a In-Frequent flyer.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 11:39 pm

Programs: Delta MM
Interesting. Just for fun I went to the wayback machine. For those who aren't aware of it, they maintain archives of Internet pages in order to document the evolution of the Internet. It can be a lot of fun to peruse 5 year old web pages. LINK

The earliest Delta pages (back when the URL was delta-air.com) were from late 1997 / early 1998. From the archive of Delta's web site :

Did the Medallion Award Chart expire, and can I still redeem Medallion awards?

Prior to the introduction of SkyMiles, Delta was the only carrier to offer a reduced mileage award chart for elite-level members, and the Frequent Flyer Medallion Award Chart did not expire on December 31, 1995 as originally stated. All mileage that was earned in the Frequent Flyer Program (through April 30, 1995) may be redeemed for Delta awards under the Medallion Award Chart for the entire time the Medallion program exists, provided members have elite-level status and have a mileage balance in their Frequent Flyer account.
Note that usage of miles against the old chart wasn't tied to the existance of the FF program as has been discussed here, it was tied to the Medallion program. I found that subtle distinction to be interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.