Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta - Is it because I've been writing letters re: SkyMiles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2003, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AIR: NONE, Hotel: Marriott PL, Hilton HHonors CC: Amex PLAT

This letter was sent this morning to Delta.

February 7th, 2003

To: Delta Airlines

Re: DL1919 ORD-CVG 02/06/03

On January 15th, 2003 I purchased via your website a round trip ticket from Seattle to Chicago via Cincinnati with the return portion for February 6th, 2003. I left the 800-segment fare feature checked when purchasing this ticket. The itinerary I chose showed upgrades were immediately available and I chose seat 1C for the segment above.

On February 6th, I arrived at the terminal at O’Hare at about 3:45 pm, almost 2 hours prior to flight time and checked in via kiosk and received my 1C boarding pass. My luggage was tagged and I went down to the CRC. I checked into the Crown Room with boarding pass and picture ID and waited for my flight.

At 5:05 pm, 30 minutes before flight departure I made my way to the gate (L9). As I approached the gate I heard the announcement that the flight was about to board and as I made my way toward the boarding door I heard my name called on the PA and was asked to check in at the podium.

There I met a Red Coat agent (Mr. Javen Jackson) who asked for my boarding pass and took it out of the sleeve. Once he had it in his possession, he informed me that “I” had overbooked the flight in first class and I was not “entitled” to the seat. I was startled to say the least.

When asked how could that be, as the ticket I purchased was confirmed 3 weeks prior and I had a confirmed boarding pass for my 1C seat. He said that it was “my” purchase that overbooked the flight and that he would reseat me in coach. I find that hard to believe that on January 15th all seats were sold out, because I chose the seat from available inventory on the web on January 15th.

I asked if there were upgraded travelers in first class and he admitted there was, so I am at a loss to determine how I was chosen to be bumped. I do not believe that I was the last passenger at the lowest elite level that confirmed a first class seat and that all seats were sold or confirmed prior to January 15th. None the less Mr. Jackson said it was “my” overbooking that caused the “problem” and that I was not “entitled” to the seat.

I expressed my displeasure to him and told him I did not appreciate being accused of being the “problem” here. I caused NO problem. I also told him that when I make a reservation and get a confirmed ticket, I naturally make the assumption that I have entered an agreement with Delta an I AM “entitled” to the seat and I expect to sit in it.

I also noticed that he offered no compensation, not even as much as a drink coupon, though he did apologize for the situation. He gave me my row 16 boarding pass and sent me on my way. Once on the plane, Mr. Jackson returned and came to my seat at row 16 and said that he had made a few calls and had been told that situation can be caused by a “glitch” in the system but “they” haven’t fixed it since there has not been enough complaints. I wish hadn’t told me that. It didn’t make me feel any better.

DELTA - CONSIDER THIS A COMPLAINT THEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you cannot honor your agreements, give me my money back or offer a reasonable settlement. There was no change in equipment, no weather delays, no cancelled flights. Explain to me how I was selected and how it won’t happen again to me or anyone else.

Anton P. Gielen
DL FF# 201XXXXX62
Platinum Medallion / Million Miler

Old Feb 7, 2003, 9:13 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, UA Premier Platinum, National Executive
Yep.... DL is on to your postings on FT. Don't risk checking in your bags or eating inflight food else you may have more unpleasant surprises

Old Feb 7, 2003, 9:17 am

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA GLD
This is downright lousy. You should call them as well, and do not get off the phone until you have a voucher for at least $500, the value of a one-way FC travel segment, or a NAMU.
Old Feb 7, 2003, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Is it possible that there was an air marshall seating issue that caused your bump? They would not have told you that was the real cause.
Old Feb 7, 2003, 9:24 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rssrsvp:
Is it possible that there was an air marshall seating issue that caused your bump? They would not have told you that was the real cause.</font>
Interesting thought. If true, their presentation, lack of compensation and blaming me for the issue SUCKS!

Old Feb 7, 2003, 9:27 am
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
I really think it was a sky marshall.The airline is prohibited from telling you that, so he's going to lie. But he should have given you something for the inconvience.

Old Feb 7, 2003, 9:29 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
I have a suggestion for you....take all of your business to another airline. That is the only thing that DL understands.
Old Feb 7, 2003, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Another tactic which may help:

Don't book aisle seats in the first couple of rows in the forward cabin. Those are the Sky Marshall seats and one passenger in one of those seats is the likely bumpee.
Old Feb 7, 2003, 10:08 am

A TSA friend told me last week that most of the time sky marshals are seated in the last 3 rows of the aircraft. Think about it . . . sitting in first class does not give a person a good view of the ENTIRE cabin.
Old Feb 7, 2003, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
That's almost certainly untrue. I frequently fly Shuttle flights between LGA and DCA. Very easily identifiable marshals are OFTEN in seats 1C and 1D. (I'm not suggesting that they never sit in the back, but they certainly sit in the fron quite a lot.)

Bruce
Old Feb 7, 2003, 10:15 am
Suspended

I have had some very bad experiences with Delta agents in Chicago. They think, they are 'First Class' police.

I have quit flying Delta in and out of Chicago so guess what they are losing revenue.

If they do not know how to treat a customer then that is what they deserve.

Old Feb 7, 2003, 10:57 am

If you paid for a coach ticket, you got what you paid for. If you paid for a First Class tickets, or turned in an upgrade, then you didn't get what you paid for. Otherwise, I don't see that you deserve any compensation. It is, to be sure, poor customer service but they lived up to their end of the agreement in getting you to your destination in a coach seat that you paid for.
Old Feb 7, 2003, 11:01 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AS Flyer:
If you paid for a coach ticket, you got what you paid for. If you paid for a First Class tickets, or turned in an upgrade, then you didn't get what you paid for. Otherwise, I don't see that you deserve any compensation. It is, to be sure, poor customer service but they lived up to their end of the agreement in getting you to your destination in a coach seat that you paid for.</font>
They confirmed my upgrade at the time of booking. Seems to me that's a commitment!

Old Feb 7, 2003, 11:17 am

Programs: Delta Platinum;Delta 2MM;Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite;Hertz 5*
I bet you got bumped by a sky marshall too. I was told by crews on both DL and NW that they ONLY sit in first and they come up and demand a seat or seats at almost any time.

I don't think they can tell you why either but I do think you are owed something for being the "lucky selectee"
Old Feb 7, 2003, 11:21 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AS Flyer:
If you paid for a coach ticket, you got what you paid for. If you paid for a First Class tickets, or turned in an upgrade, then you didn't get what you paid for. Otherwise, I don't see that you deserve any compensation. It is, to be sure, poor customer service but they lived up to their end of the agreement in getting you to your destination in a coach seat that you paid for.</font>
As a discerning consumer I would have paid an insULT fare if there was no first class available to a PM weeks ahead of time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.