Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Is there a backdoor route for getting Medallion status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there a backdoor route for getting Medallion status?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2005, 6:00 am

bross, I believe Medallion "preboards" are in Zones 1 and 2, which usually board together on DL as the first boarding group. By the way, welcome to FT!
Old Jun 12, 2005, 12:15 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by bross
Fly 6,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQM's) on qualifying flights during the 3 months period beginning June 1, 2005 through August 31, 2005 and receive Silver Medallion status.

Fly 12,000 MQM's on qualifying flights during the 3 months period beginning June 1, 2005 through August 31, 2005 and receive Gold Medallion status.

A qualifying flight is a flown Delta-marketed and operated, Delta/Delta Connection flight taken with the purchase of a fare in H, Q, K, S, L, U, T, Y, B, M, P, F, A, C, D, J or I class of service.
---

I found it interesting that this challenge includes LUT fares (they made me a similar offier at the beginning of the year, but only in YBM class).

OK now i am upset. I missed the GOLD fast track to Status last year by 300 miles because of a few LTU Flights I had. I had no choice in the purchase as my cleint purchase all my tickets. And calles to Mrs. Miles have been unreturned. I already got chewed out in another fourm about this so I really dont' care anymore as I will be plat by the end of the year with some MR's and ALOT of East Coast travel the rest of the year.

~icorproadie
Old Jun 13, 2005, 8:27 am

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by upgrader
bross, I believe Medallion "preboards" are in Zones 1 and 2, which usually board together on DL as the first boarding group. By the way, welcome to FT!
I, too, believed that Medallion "preboard" was only zones 1 & 2 until this most recent flight. The automated announcement at the gate said something like "zone 3 is now available for boarding. Delta Medallion members seated in zone 3 may board at this time". I assumed that since it was a larger aircraft (762) that perhaps they had 3 preboard zones instead of 2. Perhaps it was just a coincidence combined with a slightly misleading message. I'm flying again this Friday, we'll see what zone I end up in.

Thanks for the welcome!
Old Jun 13, 2005, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by iCorpRoadie
And calles to Mrs. Miles have been unreturned.
Do you really think Ms. Miles is going to return phone calls from an LUT flyer who missed the challenge requirement by 300 miles?
Old Jun 13, 2005, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I, too, believed that Medallion "preboard" was only zones 1 & 2 until this most recent flight. The automated announcement at the gate said something like "zone 3 is now available for boarding. Delta Medallion members seated in zone 3 may board at this time". I assumed that since it was a larger aircraft (762) that perhaps they had 3 preboard zones instead of 2. Perhaps it was just a coincidence combined with a slightly misleading message. I'm flying again this Friday, we'll see what zone I end up in.

Thanks for the welcome!
I have been assigned to Zone 3 even on an MD88. It may have to do with the number of Medallions on a flight, regardless of the size of the aircraft. Perhaps upgrader was seated in the bulkhead or exit row. They board in Zones 2 and/or 3 as well, I believe.

Even though this thread has been around for years, I am only seeing it for the first time. When I read the question in the subject line, my first thought was "Of course, BOHICA."
Old Jun 13, 2005, 2:00 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by vasantn
Do you really think Ms. Miles is going to return phone calls from an LUT flyer who missed the challenge requirement by 300 miles?
Nope, but I don't always fly LTU, I do have plenty of First and Business Class purchases. If I purchase the ticket myself I always go for the better upgrade chance tickets, and she has to answer the phone sometime.

~icorproadie
Old Jun 13, 2005, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iCorpRoadie
I missed the GOLD fast track to Status last year by 300 miles because of a few LTU Flights I had. I had no choice in the purchase as my cleint purchase all my tickets.

I don't always fly LTU, I do have plenty of First and Business Class purchases. If I purchase the ticket myself I always go for the better upgrade chance tickets, and she has to answer the phone sometime.
Sorry if I misunderstood you. It shouldn't have been too difficult to take a cheap flight that would have netted you 500 miles.

But if you think Patrice Miles is ever going to answer her own phone, I'd like some of your meds!
Old Jun 13, 2005, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA UA DL flyI
On a whim I sent copies my US Air Gold credientials to the Skymiles service center a week ago. I had already done this when I switched to Delta at the beginning of this year but never got any sort of response from them at the time. This time they sent me a challenge letter, so I thought it would be useful to you all if I posted the details of it here.

---
Fly 6,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQM's) on qualifying flights during the 3 months period beginning June 1, 2005 through August 31, 2005 and receive Silver Medallion status.

Fly 12,000 MQM's on qualifying flights during the 3 months period beginning June 1, 2005 through August 31, 2005 and receive Gold Medallion status.

A qualifying flight is a flown Delta-marketed and operated, Delta/Delta Connection flight taken with the purchase of a fare in H, Q, K, S, L, U, T, Y, B, M, P, F, A, C, D, J or I class of service.
---

I found it interesting that this challenge includes LUT fares (they made me a similar offier at the beginning of the year, but only in YBM class).

Oh, and the fine print at the bottom of the letter says that if I do this I'll have the status through 2/28/07.

A strange thing happened on my flight last night. My ticket showed me boarding in zone 3 (767-200). I thought zone 3 was only for Medallion pre-board and I'm not currently Medallion at all. I'm wondering if they gave me early board status when I sent them my comp request.

Can this be true -- what am I missing? Does this mean I can take a single cross-country round-trip and reach Silver Status?
Old Jun 14, 2005, 7:27 am

Littera, if they send you the challenge as stated then, yes, you could get SM with one trancontinental trip. Of course, the question is will DL send you the same challenge if you inquire? One should not assume uniformity of practices with regard to challenges on any airline. Give it a shot and see what happens. You have nothing to lose. Good luck.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by upgrader
Littera, if they send you the challenge as stated then, yes, you could get SM with one trancontinental trip. Of course, the question is will DL send you the same challenge if you inquire? One should not assume uniformity of practices with regard to challenges on any airline. Give it a shot and see what happens. You have nothing to lose. Good luck.
You should note that the Silver Medallion privileges are only good through early 2006 as opposed to early 2007 for those who earn Silver Medallion the old fashioned way.

Reggaebird
Old Jun 15, 2005, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by Reggaebird
You should note that the Silver Medallion privileges are only good through early 2006 as opposed to early 2007 for those who earn Silver Medallion the old fashioned way.

Reggaebird
I think you misunderstood. What he means is that with this challenge he could take a single trip that earned 6k miles and be Silver until 2/07. The answer is yes, that is true, or you could take about 2 of those trips and be Gold. (Give or take depending on what part of the country you are in, of course). I'm seriously tempted to do a MR and get it over with.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 8:06 pm

Programs: PC: Platinum, DL: PM, National: Exec
to Delta Status Challenge.

I faxed Delta my AA credentials (went Platnum last week) and mileage statement showing me flying almost 20K miles just in the last six weeks. Explained to them in the letter that my job changed in spring and I was travelling all over the U.S. with almost weekly trips, explained that I would like to move my business to Delta, explained the 7 round trips I need to schedule in the next 2 months, and asked for status match or a challenge.

DENIED!!!

I'll be booking about $3,000-3,500 of travel on AA this weekend.

Patrick
Old Jun 26, 2005, 3:13 pm

DOES THIS MEAN THAT SONG FLIGHTS DO NOT QUALIFY FOR THIS CHALLENGE?

Originally Posted by Littera
Can this be true -- what am I missing? Does this mean I can take a single cross-country round-trip and reach Silver Status?
Old Jun 26, 2005, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DIDN'T YOU READ MY RESPONSE TO THE SAME QUESTION THAT YOU ASKED ON THE PREVIOUS PAGE?
Old Jun 27, 2005, 8:17 pm

Do your miles tranfer along with the status?

This is a question to the people who got their elite status transferred.

My situation is:
1. I am a silver elite on NWA.
2. I have ~22,000 flown on NWA this year, meaning, another 3,000 to go for next year's Silver elite status.

If I transfer my elite status to Delta, here are the question in my mind:
1. I understand I will be made a silver elite on Delta, but would I have to fly 25,000 more miles this year to get the silver Medallion level on Delta, or would I have to travel only 3,00o more miles on Delta?
2. Is it any better for me to get up to Gold Elite member and then transfer my membership?

Please help!

Suchin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.