Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

2006 Atlantic Hurricane Season --- Good luck to our Delta FT members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2006, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond

Well, here we go again. It seems like just yesterday (Jan 6) that Zeta died. I just learned something there were 28, not 27 storms last year. An unnamed storm in October was added in April.

Anyway, I hope this thread can serve its purpose of getting all of our hurricane information in one place, so that we don't have a lot of different threads over the season. AND, let's hope this thread doesn't get near the activity that the one from the infamous 2005 season did.

Good luck to all of our coastal FlyerTalkers.

ALBERTO
BERYL
CHRIS
DEBBY
ERNESTO
FLORENCE
GORDON
HELENE
ISAAC
JOYCE
KIRK
LESLIE
MICHAEL
NADINE
OSCAR
PATTY
RAFAEL
SANDY
TONY
VALERIE
WILLIAM

Last edited by indufan; Jun 1, 2006 at 8:09 am Reason: Fixing the spacing of the list
Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:42 am

Programs: DL FC, NW
With the forecast predicting many big storms this year, I kind of glad I don't live on the coast.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:37 am

Programs: DL Silver
Red face

We live in Hollywood, Fl and definitely not looking forward to the next few months of hurricane season. All we can do is prepare and hope for the best.
Joan
Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I certainly hope that none of the names on the OP's list become as familiar to us as Camille, Andrew, and Katrina.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 12:05 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA 1.8 MM, DL, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold,
I just stocked up on hurricane supplies as this is the last day for no sales tax purchases on certain items ie, batteries, generators, water etc. Forcasters suggest a milder season this year with 5-6 110 MPH + storms..we shall see.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MRKEY
Forcasters suggest a milder season this year with 5-6 110 MPH + storms..we shall see.
Just about anything would seem mild compared to last year. It only took a week to get a storm last season.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 1:07 pm

I hope those good wishes are not restricted to only our FTers on the coasts. Some of us here in Central Florida were criss-crossed with four hurricanes in one season not too long ago. And we're gettin' darned tired of it!
Old Jun 1, 2006, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Well, this will be my first hurricane season in Fla. It's also my first home I've owned, and it's a block form the beach. Yes, that's right, I'm who 'they' talk about when the question is asked 'who would want to live there?'. Other than the hurricanes, it's really pleasant.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by tkey75
Other than the hurricanes, it's really pleasant.
Why am I suddenly reminded of an old joke?

"Well, other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the night at the theater?"
Old Jun 1, 2006, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, CO Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver
USA Today today ...

If you get a chance, get today's USA Today ... the feature article is on the upcoming hurricane city, and the four areas most vunerable to a big storm: Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa Bay, Houston/Galveston, and (surprisingly) New York City.

I live right on Tampa Bay (in Clearwater), and USA Today calls our city "The Untested One", predicting $70 billion in damages if a Category Five hits. Projections for Miami were even worse, as they have no idea how to evacuate five million people in a congested area.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Well, this will be my first hurricane season in Fla. It's also my first home I've owned, and it's a block form the beach.
Being on a barrier island is not fun during a hurricane, in 2004 they closed all the causeways during Frances and Jeanne so you couldn't leave if you were on the island and you couldn't get back there if you were off the island. Now that I live on the mainland, you and yours are welcome to come on over if there is a bad hurricane.

They are calling for a less active season than the 2004 and 2005 seasons. I guess it's safe saying that there won't be more hurricanes in 2006 than there were in 2005
Old Jun 1, 2006, 4:10 pm

Programs: lots (DL, CO, WN, US) but no status anywhere
Originally Posted by Kentski
If you get a chance, get today's USA Today ... the feature article is on the upcoming hurricane city, and the four areas most vunerable to a big storm: Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa Bay, Houston/Galveston, and (surprisingly) New York City.
Yea, the Gulf Coast is pretty untested when it comes to dealing with hurricanes. Fresh water would be a huge problem in the Tampa Bay area because there's a huge desal plant there, I think. Galveston, esp. Galveston Island, stands no chance. See Hurricane Ivan, 2004.

Those of us in the middle of the panhandle (TLH) fear Hurricane Kate more than anything else. 20 years without a bad one, knock on wood.

BTW, 2004 was still the scariest, despite the bigger names of '05. Bonnie and Charlie were rip-roaring through FL at the same time (my brother under hurricane watch in TPA, we under a watch in TLH). and both missed their forecasted landfall points by a bit.

Good luck to the rest of the Floridians! As far as NYC, they don't even know how to prepare...
Old Jun 1, 2006, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Traveller
Being on a barrier island is not fun during a hurricane, in 2004 they closed all the causeways during Frances and Jeanne so you couldn't leave if you were on the island and you couldn't get back there if you were off the island. Now that I live on the mainland, you and yours are welcome to come on over if there is a bad hurricane.

They are calling for a less active season than the 2004 and 2005 seasons. I guess it's safe saying that there won't be more hurricanes in 2006 than there were in 2005
Thank you very, very much for the offer. Not that a sleepover would be anything less than fun , I really hope it does not come to that.

What can the group here offer as advice on things to prepare ahead of time?
Old Jun 1, 2006, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dovster
Why am I suddenly reminded of an old joke?

"Well, other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the night at the theater?"
That's hilarious!
Old Jun 2, 2006, 7:56 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
What can the group here offer as advice on things to prepare ahead of time?
Check out the Red Cross Hurricane Preparedness booklet, available at http://www.redcross.org/general/0,1082,0_587_,00.html.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.