Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO to DL comp?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2002, 1:30 am
Original Poster

CO to DL comp?

I'm currently gold with CO... yet DL has always been my primary carrier. However, I've never actually qualified for Elite with DL.

While I love CO and its [theoretical) unlimited upgrades for even Silver and Gold Elites.... I'd love to return to the dark side (oops, I meant "return to the widget"-- silly me ).

So has anyone comped CO to DL?* Should I go for DL gold, or expect to be comped CO gold to DL silver?* What information should I attempt to provide to DL?

*(I've read past posts on this, but then information I was able to gather was anecdotal at best)

------------------
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!
~ConcordeBoy

Try the Unofficial Continental Dictionary
Old Sep 20, 2002, 6:05 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: Seattle, WA;HH Diamond, Avis PS, DL PM & 1MM ... back to travelling the globe consulting aerospace engineering
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ConcordeBoy:
So has anyone comped CO to DL?* Should I go for DL gold, or expect to be comped CO gold to DL silver?* What information should I attempt to provide to DL?</font>
A peek here shows that CO Gold and DL Gold are on the same tier, so I would suspect you have a decent chance of being comped Gold if you have crossed the threshold by more than a few miles/segments. If you were attempting to be comped to Platinum ... well, that's an entirely different story that almost never happens - but it has happened.

You will most likely need to provide DL your:

*CO account number
*Current CO status and expiration date
*Base miles flown YTD
*Segments flown YTD (if a large portion is int'l, be sure to identify this)
*Miles flown lifetime with CO
*FF account balance
*and for kicks ... base miles on DL YTD and potential base miles for the remaining year.

Is all of the above absolutely required, probably not. However it never hurts to present the best case you can ... you never know when you're on the fence between status levels.

Enjoy flying the Widget (or should it be Widjet)

GMF
Old Sep 20, 2002, 6:20 am

Solid Platinum with Continental 9-10 K Base Miles/ Month - Delta Only Gave me Gold -

Was Silver Medallion 2 Years ago before I stopped flying Delta due to Co's N/S routing to IAH
Old Sep 20, 2002, 6:46 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FC_Dave:
Solid Platinum with Continental 9-10 K Base Miles/ Month - Delta Only Gave me Gold -

Was Silver Medallion 2 Years ago before I stopped flying Delta due to Co's N/S routing to IAH
</font>
Your situation is completely different from the original poster's situation. DL rarely (unless your name is Cigarman) comps to the top tier. However, there should be little problem getting comped to gold from mid-tier on CO.
Old Sep 20, 2002, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

I have a confession.....
I received gold on CO from their recent "fly 6 roundtrips in unrestricted coach" promo

When I spoke to my first DL phone CSR; all she told me was fax a copy of my current elite card. What struck me as strange is that she mentioned nothing of faxing my statement (I thought that'd be a given) nor of any written explanation or anything (ditto).

The promo, along with my [seemingly atypical] desire to fly only twinjets across the pacific, and the intrigue of low-tier EUA, is what led me to CO to begin with.... before SQ started offering 777s to Asian, and before DL/CO started talks of hooking up. I'd like to take what I have at CO back to DL, but I really dont know what's best. I guess it's all hedged on whether I can get some sort of jumpstart to Elite at DL.

------------------
~ConcordeBoy

Old Sep 20, 2002, 3:17 pm

If I were you, I would not switch to Dr. Evil's airline. Gordon Bethune may be annyoing, yet the people that run Delta rival him in every sense.

MSY, very much like TPA, MCO and TLH, is in the shadow of the Atlanta superhub. While FL and WN bring both DL and CO's fares down, DL has decided to milk Elites for extra cash each time they want to upgrade.

I understand that CO's upgrades are somewhat elusive- yet the CO economy service is better than DL. Plus, I think connecting in IAH/MEM/MSP/DTW beats ATL connections by a longshot (EWR is not very nice though).
Old Sep 20, 2002, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BackOfTheBus:
If I were you, I would not switch to Dr. Evil's airline. Gordon Bethune may be annyoing, yet the people that run Delta rival him in every sense.

MSY, very much like TPA, MCO and TLH, is in the shadow of the Atlanta superhub. While FL and WN bring both DL and CO's fares down, DL has decided to milk Elites for extra cash each time they want to upgrade.

I understand that CO's upgrades are somewhat elusive- yet the CO economy service is better than DL. Plus, I think connecting in IAH/MEM/MSP/DTW beats ATL connections by a longshot (EWR is not very nice though).
</font>
Thanks for the advice, but actually, I've been loyal to DL most of my traveling life, but I often have to buy directly from AF or a [SAFE!] Asian carrier, and that eats into the qualifying miles I earn with DL. Also, I was tempted by the lure of nearly effortless Gold on CO.

I'm a plane fanatic as well as a travel buff, so there's nothing more I enjoy than large connection times in the superhubs of the world... precisely why I'd rather transit in ATL over IAH/MEM/EWR/etc.

------------------
~ConcordeBoy

Old Sep 20, 2002, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP - US CP
The only thing I would have suggested is to wait till mid to late Dec to ask for the Comp. Likely you will get it, but likely it will expire Feb 2003 - not giving you enough time to gain the miles you'll need to qualify for 2003.

You might call DL or email them to explain the situation and ask that they start the comp in Jan since you won't fly enough the remainder of 2002 to qualify for 2003. Just a thought...
Old Sep 21, 2002, 8:09 am

I myself am a little bit of an airplane fanatic

... and that's one more reason I will not abandon Northwest's beautiful A320s and A319s(and soon to come A330s) for some Delta 738...

Oh, and the Northwest terminal in Detroit is in itself an architectural experience that makes Dulles and Denver seem uninteresting...

To add something more:

I have unfortunately spend most of my teenage years flying Delta- with ATL and Florida airports you don't have much of a choice, with the hourly service to ATL or the lure of non-stops.

I dislike airlines that are monopolies. While Delta's service is nothing to complain about, I like knowing the NW agents in ATL by name.

Always support the underdog!

[This message has been edited by BackOfTheBus (edited 09-21-2002).]
Old Sep 21, 2002, 9:14 am
Original Poster

I dont find anything alluring about Airbus aircraft (though I must admit that I'm very intrigued by the A388) and I wouldnt be wild about sorting through most of NW's domestic planes to find the few of them that arent 10,000 years older than sand( ).... so ATL is paradise to me: almost all-Boeing and quite a young fleet (once the 72Ss clear out).

------------------
~ConcordeBoy

Old Sep 21, 2002, 10:03 am

I never understand why people make such a big deal about an aircraft's age (other than the people paying the maintenance costs). DL's B764s, both in coach and first, are the most uncomfortable planes I've ever been on. B733s and B727s (in general; not necessarily Delta's) rank a close second.

NW flies DC-10s newer than most AA/UA/DL B762s, and some B763s, in addition to many (including some of NW's) B757s. But would you rather fly on a DC-10 or B767 (rhetorical question)?

Of course I support Boeing, but from a passenger perspective, the A320 family offers superior comfort to the B737 family (especially true of coach!), mainly because the A320 family was designed years later. The 777 offers superior comfort to the A330/A340, for more-or-less the same reason...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ConcordeBoy:
I dont find anything alluring about Airbus aircraft (though I must admit that I'm very intrigued by the A388) and I wouldnt be wild about sorting through most of NW's domestic planes to find the few of them that arent 10,000 years older than sand( ).... so ATL is paradise to me: almost all-Boeing and quite a young fleet (once the 72Ss clear out).

</font>
[This message has been edited by IndustrialPatent (edited 09-21-2002).]
Old Sep 21, 2002, 11:05 am

I agree with the Airbus 320/319 being much more comfortable in coach than the 737s. I flew HP all the time and always tried to get on the A320s. I haven't been on an NWA A320 yet (757/DC10/DC9 for me), but will be on them in a few weeks, a whole lot of them!

As for the Boeing 767-400, I flew both CO and DL, and find that those airplanes are so comfortable. I can't recall if DL had TV screens on the seatback of each seat, but the CO ones did. I flew LAX HNL, EWR IAH on CO, and DL was LAS SLC.
Old Sep 21, 2002, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IndustrialPatent:
I never understand why people make such a big deal about an aircraft's age </font>
Look at my screenname, then tell me how concerned you think I really am about an aircraft's age.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cab747:
As for the Boeing 767-400, I flew both CO and DL, and find that those airplanes are so comfortable. </font>
That's the first time I've ever heard a statement like that about the 764ER here!!

------------------
~ConcordeBoy

Old Sep 21, 2002, 1:28 pm

ConcordeBoy, you want unlimited upgrades AND to connect via ATL? You also like Boeing airplanes?

Well, then you'd be a perfect fit for FL (given that you don't fly to the West). New 717, $35 upgrades (easy to get- much easier than EUA) and you get to connect in 'C' in Atlanta! (or was it 'D'?)

Or if you drive yourself from MSY to Gulfport, you could take Southeast Airlines (my favorite airline!)

www.flyseal.com
Old Sep 21, 2002, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BackOfTheBus:
ConcordeBoy, you want unlimited upgrades AND to connect via ATL? You also like Boeing airplanes?

Well, then you'd be a perfect fit for FL (given that you don't fly to the West). New 717, $35 upgrades (easy to get- much easier than EUA) and you get to connect in 'C' in Atlanta! (or was it 'D'?)

Or if you drive yourself from MSY to Gulfport, you could take Southeast Airlines (my favorite airline!)
</font>
Thanks for the advice... when FL orders the new SuperDuper717ER-LR (for flights to CDG, NRT, and HKG) then I'll definitely have to take them up on that

------------------
~ConcordeBoy

[This message has been edited by ConcordeBoy (edited 09-21-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.