Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Double Base Miles for All- They Heard US Loud and Clear!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2002, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,

The double miles link noted previously tonight accepted my SM number as well as my two children's. All of us were rejected last night. The target population for this promotion has obviously become far larger than yesterday! They musthave received a lot of phone calls and emails!

But kudos to DL for quickly seeing the error of their promotion and fixing it!
Old Jul 30, 2002, 7:17 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
Robert: yes, it's nice to see that there is common sense down there in Atlanta occasionally. Now, if they could just program the computers to load a few more meals in BizElite to Europe....

------------------
"Service" should be a noun, not a verb.
Delta Flyers' Guide
Old Jul 30, 2002, 7:21 pm

Folks,
What are you'll saying ?? DBL for all ?
Sept,Oct,Nov I'm on the road - Dec I'm grounded.
Old Jul 30, 2002, 7:24 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum | HHonors Gold | AA Gold
Before we start waving banners about DL listening to its elites, I'll proffer a more simple explanation for this reversal of fortune: someone at DL forgot to enable the promo code in the database that accepts/denies online registrations. The many letters and calls from FTers prompted a call to the web team's producer to find out why that code was not active. Problem fixed...elites are happy.

Regarding the phone confirmation message about all registrations being "subject to verification" -- it's been that way for the 18 months I've used the phone system.

Given its prior record on matters like this, I simply refuse to believe that DL would actively respond to its elites. I would not mind being wrong on this one, though!
Old Jul 30, 2002, 7:34 pm
GG

Tricky, go back and read on the big thread the actual e-mail replies that a number of people received today, to the effect that it was a targetted promotion and so they could lump it. Or the ones from last night where they were simply denied.

The people who had received the solicitations had no trouble registering yesterday or earlier today. It wasn't a bad piece of coding, really!
Old Jul 30, 2002, 7:52 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum | HHonors Gold | AA Gold
GG, you're probably right. I suppose I'm in denial that DL would actually cave in to public opinion on opening up the promo, especially in light of SGB and the other management practices of the past 2 years.

If DL is actually listening to elites, then perhaps market conditions (defections of elites to OALs, fewer travelers in general, et al) might be worse than a quarterly earnings call or industry pundits might indicate.
Old Jul 30, 2002, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
TrickyC, last night I was able to register my wife, but not myself or my two kids. Tonight, registration for the rest of us went through. Simply said, the target population got a bit larger today... and I suspect it was the growing firestorm on this BB.
None of us are gloating... it is a good thing when our favorite airline does the right thing by us. In the end, it will be a win-win!
Old Jul 30, 2002, 8:39 pm

Don't shoot the messenger, but according to GRS (G*9706/27 (Double Base Miles Promo)) it says:

ELIGIBILITY - SELECT MEDLN MBRS RCVG POSTCARD/EMAIL

Has anyone, not targeted, written Customer Care yet? I'm curious what the response is.

------------------
I'm only here trying to shed light on DL issues brought up on this board. I do work for Delta, but I don't represent DL's final word when answering a question. Please e-mail Customer Care with your questions. www.delta.com/email
Old Jul 30, 2002, 9:24 pm

UDLH: the current opinion is that Virginia Avenue wised up and realized that registering a few hundred more folks and consequently not pissing off a very vocal flyer community was Simply Guard-your-butt Business.

We hope to stay happy with Delta. Please find ways to help us. Thanks.

------------------
Delta Flyers' Guide
Old Jul 30, 2002, 9:40 pm
Suspended

This is very odd. Decisions this important aren't usually made on a Sunday, so I'm not sure all those told "Thank you for registering" aren't actually subject to review.

I called the SkyMiles desk after the website message and was told the uninvited were still ineligible. She could have been working on old information, but you'd think they would be the first to know.
Old Jul 30, 2002, 9:46 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
I have an upcoming Delta flight, can someone post the link to register for this promo?

Thanks.
Old Jul 30, 2002, 9:48 pm

fannin: not sure about where you are, but it's TUESDAY here.

Some of us work then. My best.

------------------
Delta Flyers' Guide
Old Jul 30, 2002, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guys,

I have been watching this thing grow all day, and was not sure where I stood on it. One one hand I believed that DL has the right to target these things, on the other hand of course I'd like the miles.

I of course tried yesterday (30th), and could not register online.

Two hours ago I went and checked my Junk Mail box (spam filter) and found that I had received the promotion on THE 29TH.

In otherwords I believe that EVERYONE has been too quick to judgement on this and that there really was a problem with the VRU system at Delta. Afterall, I WAS targeted, but WAS NOT able to register!!!

As for the CS responses, it would seem that the agents either didn't know, or were tossing out STANDARD form responses.

I really think everyone got this wrong, and I do not believe that we actually effected anything significantly (perhaps got them to fix the faulty registration computer)

I am going to prepeat post this on some of the other threads
Old Jul 30, 2002, 10:55 pm

hfly: prepeat is too cool, even if unintentional.

Gaucho: This thread has the connections on the first page. Good luck!

------------------
Delta Flyers' Guide
Old Jul 30, 2002, 11:49 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

--HFLY--am going to "prepeat" this message from Unofficial DL Helper found on GoCanes thread:

"Just b/c the link/code leaked onto the web doesn't mean everyone will be eligible. I'm sorry, and as much as I'd like to say this is a "promo for all", until there is an official press release declaring double base miles for all SkyMiles members, it will remain what it is, a targeted promotion."

IP: Logged

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.