Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Int'l routes.....

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2002, 7:48 am

DL maintained Pan Am's Frankfurt hub for a few years after the acquisition. At the time DL flew 727 equipment from Frankfurt to Prague, Budapest, Warsaw, Bucharest and I believe to Vienna, Istanbul and Athens. FRA was served after the PA acquisition by DL from JFK, ORD, EWR, MIA, SFO and LAX in addition to existing routes from ATL, DFW and CVG. I flew on DL to PRG 10+ times in the early to mid 90s. Sometimes the FRA-PRG flt. continued to Warsaw or Bucharest or it overnighted in PRG. The flight left FRA in the early afternoon, overnighted at its final destination and then returned to FRA the next morning in order to connect with the westbound trans-Atlantic flights. I suspected then that the flight's days were numbered. It could not have been profitable to fly a 727 that only makes one short roundtrip per day. In the mid 90s the destination was served with 767 equipment flying PRG-CPH-JFK or PRG-AMS-JFK before being abandoned. Of course you can get there now on AF or OK.
Old Jun 5, 2002, 8:17 am

JFK -> ZRH
Old Jun 5, 2002, 8:49 am

SLC-YVR (Vancouver) - used to be mainline, now flown by SkyWest

SLC-YYC (Calgary) - used to be mainline, now SkyWest

SLC-YEG (Edmonton) - used to be mainline, dropped entirely

LAX-YYC - used to be mainline, dropped entirely.
Old Jun 5, 2002, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA1MMEXP, DL1MMPM, UAExecPrem, IT Gold, Hilton Dia, SPG PL, Marriott Sil, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC5*
Red-eye SFO-JFK, JFK-FRA-DEL, there were direct JFK-SAN flights
Old Jun 5, 2002, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
BOS-PDX nonstops summer 1999... that route lasted all of 5 or 6 months.
Old Jun 5, 2002, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Location: Promoted to Chairman of the Most Wonderful Continental Airlines Highly Valuable OnePass Program Security and Ideological Purity Bureau
Didn't DL used to fly JFK-TLV for a while, or am I confusing them with TWA?
Old Jun 5, 2002, 3:17 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
CLE-DTW-LGW
ATL-BJX
JFK-LIS
MSY-MAR-CCS (is that obscure enough for you guys?)
LAX-ACA,ZIH,MZT,PVR
ORY-TLV as tag from JFK
BRU-GVA as tag from JFK (later ORY-GVA)
JFK-VIE-BUD
DFW-MEX

------------------
"Service" should be a noun, not a verb.
Delta Flyers' Guide
Old Jun 5, 2002, 3:53 pm

LexPassenger,
MSY-MAR-CCS sure goes back a long way. I have only seen that one on historical Delta route maps that probably predate airline deregulation.
Didn't DL also fly MSY-Kingston, Jamaica-CCS?

------------------
DL GM, HH Diamond
Old Jun 5, 2002, 4:23 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by avek00:
Didn't DL used to fly JFK-TLV for a while, or am I confusing them with TWA?</font>
Yes, DL did. It was dropped along with JFK-CAI-DXB around 9/11. Now codeshare with LY.

------------------
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!
~ConcordeBoy
Old Jun 5, 2002, 4:26 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by I-65:
LexPassenger,
MSY-MAR-CCS sure goes back a long way. I have only seen that one on historical Delta route maps that probably predate airline deregulation.
Didn't DL also fly MSY-Kingston, Jamaica-CCS?

</font>
There used to be flights between MSY and CCS, but I dont remember a stop between them. Not sure if it was DL either, but most likely it was.

------------------
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!
~ConcordeBoy
Old Jun 5, 2002, 5:02 pm

I'm relying on a map for the MAR part; memory says MSY-CCS also.... these flights were dropped after the 1979 fuel crisis, as well as NYC(not sure which airport)-FPO.

Other interesting tidbits from the bone pile:

Delta Frequent Flyer Award DA in 1983: 40000 miles for ONE domestic coach ticket, including 4 Alamo car days and two free days at Marriott if two days bought.

Delta Frequent Flyer Award OA in 1983: 70000 miles for ONE Coach Class to LGW or FRA.

Delta introduced three-class Intl. service in 1987; so it lasted barely twelve years....

1979 BWI-ATL coach fare one-way: $76.00 First Class: $91.00

DCA-MSY coach $111.00; First $133.00.

Kinda gives all our current concerns a little perspective....

------------------
Delta Flyers' Guide
Old Jun 5, 2002, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ConcordeBoy:
Yes, DL did. It was dropped along with JFK-CAI-DXB around 9/11. Now codeshare with LY.

</font>
The first DL flights to TLV were in the early 90's after they purchased the Pan Am routes - it was also JFK-TLV and lasted all of 6 months or so.
Old Jun 5, 2002, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Not quite, if I am not mistaken those TLV flights were via CDG. Actually in this case I believe that they had to drop them due to the French, but I'm a bit fuzzy on it.
Old Jun 5, 2002, 9:01 pm

runningshoes: First Delta TLV flights were indeed JFK-ORY-TLV, three times a week, from the PanAm European route purchase which took effect 1 November 1991.

All TLV flights in the next few years were one stops through Paris, at first three times a week in the winter and daily during the summer, then daily regularly. In summer 1995, service was switched to ATL-ORY-TLV.

It was ended after 30 November 1995.

The short-lived JFK-TLV flights that began last spring are, to my knowledge, the only regularly scheduled US non-stop flights Delta ever ran to Tel Aviv.

I have a fairly complete schedule collection that dates to before the PanAm purchase, and could spend a few hours compiling dates of service for overseas flights. Would anyone be interested in this info?

------------------
Delta Flyers' Guide
Old Jun 6, 2002, 6:26 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
I flew JFK-TLV nonstop August 2001.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.