Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL Shuttle being downgraded to RJs from Sep 1

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2001, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

DL Shuttle being downgraded to RJs from Sep 1

Not sure if this has been publicly announced yet, but DL Shuttle will be downgrading their 738 service in the DCA-BOS market to ACJet's 328Jets effective September 1.
Old Jul 8, 2001, 2:11 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Duh... guess this wil be a BIG step back for their BOS expansion plans... however, it might be a necessary move in financial terms.

I did not fly the Shuttle out of BOS yet, perhaps someone else can shed some light on the load factors which might be a significant point here.
Old Jul 8, 2001, 2:29 pm
Original Member

The pilots were none too happy when the BOS-DCA was started with some flights being operated by Comair CRJs. They switched them all over to mainline Shuttle jets and now back to commuter jets.
Old Jul 8, 2001, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

I think this is more geared towards freeing up 738s for mainline use while the 757s are still down with the PW2000 engine problems.
Old Jul 9, 2001, 6:03 am

Programs: AAExecPlat MM, DL MM, HH Platinum
I downloaded the Delta electronic schedule, and it shows 738s on the shuttle. Where did the regional jet information come from?
Old Jul 9, 2001, 7:32 am

The current downloadable Delta schedule has a date range of 7/1/2001 to 8/15/2001. Flights past that range may not be correct.
Old Jul 9, 2001, 7:44 am

I have taken the DCA-BOS shuttle every few months, almost exclusively on weekends, with load factors being 2/3 full on average.

There have been some pretty good specials <$100 roundtrips, so many are probably flying on cheap fares.

Not familar with the AC328 but if it is anything like a Comair RJ, forget it. Those planes aren't in the same ballpark as the 738. DL will lose any weekday business traveler to US with their airbus plane.
Old Jul 9, 2001, 8:59 am

Location: PVD/NYC/BOS/DCA (currently exiled in the wilds of Northern Rhode Island and as far away from Quahog, RI as it is physically possible to be and still be considered in the same state... :eek: )
Programs: UA 1P; DL FO; MR Silver
Sincerely hope this is not to be so! You will not find me on any 328s...I would have to switch to US shuttle. And I would be sorry to do so, but I would indeed.

Does anyone know source of this info?
Old Jul 9, 2001, 9:13 am

Here is a link to the press release:
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/010709/atm021.html
Old Jul 9, 2001, 9:54 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
WOW! If this comes about it will be one of the stupidest moves ever! DL Shuttle, even for non-regular DL flyers, is somewhat of an institution. To go from regular jets to the RJs will only strengthen US Air and AA on the DCA-BOS route.
Old Jul 9, 2001, 12:44 pm

The one time I took the BOS-DCA shuttle, it was practically empty, and that was a weekday morning.

I hate the CRJs, but am not sure I disagree with DL on this.

Will these be true shuttles (with guaranteed walk up seating) or regular flights? I suspect the latter.
Old Jul 9, 2001, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
It looks like BOS is a loser for DL, and their competition is kicking butt.
Old Jul 10, 2001, 7:05 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
And the reasons? Stingy, stingy upgrades. UA and AA will let you upgrade those cheap fares to the west coast. Delta will not. So, even if you often fly on higher fares, who wants to be stuck in the back on those occasions when your company lands you a (LU)ser fare? As the market has shown, not many. And who wants to even test the waters for the BOS-LGW market? Pay a big premium, maybe get upgraded? BOS-CDG? You're on AF! Sorry, that upgrade was given to a Communist Party Official. Enjoy your $1500 middle seat. And stay out of our lounge!

It's no wonder BOS is a loser. Delta refuses to compete there, thinking that everyone will fly them becase "it's Delta!" Kinda reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry and George are trying to get the NBC guy to buy into their pilot.

NBC Exec: "Why am I watching (your proposed show)?"

George: "Because it's on TV!"

NBC Exec: "Not yet it isn't."

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rssrsvp:
It looks like BOS is a loser for DL, and their competition is kicking butt.</font>
------------------
"Sire, it is not a revolt. It is a Revolution!"

[This message has been edited by Spiff (edited 07-10-2001).]
Old Jul 10, 2001, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Interesting point just struck me last night that I was surprised that no one has picked up on yet.

Delta was running their Shuttle operation using (among others) a handful of slots leased from TWA. These slots were part of the assets transferred over to AMR in the bankruptcy, and coincidentally the lease period was up on August 31. On the other hand, DCA has a seperate set of restrictions for regional carriers (which ACJet falls under) and DL's existing Comair/ASA slots could easily be transferred over.

I'd be willing to wager a fair sum that this was one of the reasons involved in this service downgrade.
Old Jul 10, 2001, 2:13 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TABinDC:

Not familar with the AC328 but if it is anything like a Comair RJ, forget it. Those planes aren't in the same ballpark as the 738. DL will lose any weekday business traveler to US with their airbus plane.
</font>
FWIW, "ACJet" no longer exists, it's all ACA now, right down to the sticker in front of the door.

The aircraft they're putting on that route are Dornier-Fairchild 328 Jets of the 32 seat variety. Now, if the shuttle used to be pretty much all O/D traffic, um well, I guess everybody's going to jump ship to AA's F100's (I hate them) or whatever it is that US flies on their Shuttle route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.