Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Largest current SkyMiles balance: 21,846,145 miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2006, 9:43 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk
Original Poster

I was nosing around SkyMiles the other day as InsideFlyer gets ready to acknowledge their 25th Anniversary this coming September, when I happened upon this factoid:
The largest current SkyMiles balance is 21,846,145 miles.

Now, In a few programs I have some very respectable mileage balances, but I'm not even close to 20 million miles, let alone over 21 million. I suspect there have been larger balances, but redemption, etc. can hurt the frequent flyer bottom line.

Here's a few other factoids for you all to noodle because I am impressed:

Most transoceanic segments in 2005: 61
Most miles flowm: 519,676

OK, how's your stats for last year? Kind of makes you want to check your hotel point balance huh?

Always fascinating info. Anyway, there's this and more in the Feb. issue of InsideFlyer. (P.S. youngest elite member: 2 months old.)
Old Jan 10, 2006, 9:49 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
P.S. youngest elite member: 2 months old.
Perhaps I am dense, but this last statistic does not make any sense to me.

To my knowledge, the only way to attain Medallion Elite status is to pay for flights.

Why would someone pay for the airfare of a 2-month-old child when that child is able to fly for free until that child becomes two years of age, especially when that child is too young to comprehend enjoying elite status?
Old Jan 10, 2006, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K; F9 Summit
Originally Posted by Canarsie

To my knowledge, the only way to attain Medallion Elite status is to pay for flights.

Why would someone pay for the airfare of a 2-month-old child when that child is able to fly for free until that child becomes two years of age, especially when that child is too young to comprehend enjoying elite status?
If you go check out the traveling-with-children forum you'll see very strong arguments for puchasing a seat for even the youngest children, and then putting them in an FAA-approved carseat.

Many many parents do this (though I must admit, I do not).

UA has a promo that lets you gift status to anyone you want... I could make my 4-month-old Premier if I chose to!
Old Jan 10, 2006, 9:55 pm

You are thinking domestic rules. On international flights the child needs some kind of ticket.

See link.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 9:56 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Actually, I do have a question for Randy Petersen:

What is the age of the youngest registered FlyerTalk member?
Old Jan 10, 2006, 9:56 pm

Programs: I've gone dormant. For now.
I was nosing around SkyMiles the other day as InsideFlyer gets ready to acknowledge their 25th Anniversary this coming September...

Most Transoceanic segments in 2005: 61- One TO flight every 6 days

Most miles flown: 519,676- Is that BIS miles? Thats 1,424 miles a DAY!

BTW, can any of our FTers compare with any of these stats? I am sure the luckiest (or unluckiest) might have some pretty high numbers!
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On plenty of US-based airlines, the fee for a lap child when parents upgrade to business equals 10% of a business fare plus taxes; from LAX to LHR the lap child fee can easily exceed the price of a cheap coach ticket (that earns miles for the infant). So you could easily pay more money to hold your kid on your lap for 8, 10, 12 hours or more than you would pay to seat them in their own seat. For frequent flyer parents with oodles of miles or other upgrade currency, the infant can then be upgraded to a comfy seat just like the parents.

My kids were AA elites within their first six months. With grandparents and other family on the opposite coast and airfares at very low real levels, my kids have flown a lot. Plenty of kids rack up 25k or 50k or even 100k annual miles these days.

It's not about the child enjoying their elite status. It's all about frequent flying parents enjoying their own elite status and not willing to sit in coach for the first ________ years or so of their kids' lives when flying on holiday.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:04 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Well, I'm a million miler, but not a 21 milion miler. When would you ever have time to redeem miles? Good grief.

I'll let that SkyMiles member do all that flying, and I'll stay with my 150k-200k miles a year. LOL.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
So we finally know Cholula's SkyMiles balance.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
The largest current SkyMiles balance is 21,846,145 miles.
That would be Cholula.

Most Transoceanic segments in 2005: 61
14 TO's last year and my tailbone is sore. That guy must be in a wheelchair.

(edit: traveller, you beat me in revealing Cholula's standing by 60 seconds. flyers of a feather peck each others amex cards out?)

Last edited by Gargoyle; Jan 10, 2006 at 10:14 pm Reason: traveller is too fast
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Traveller
So we finally know Cholula's SkyMiles balance.
Don’t I wish.
Most of my heavy-duty flying was done from 1970-1985. And during those years I’m guessing I flew 3 or 4 million BIS miles. But got credit for few of them until the FF programs kicked in in the early 80’s. I flew tons in the period since 1985 and was able to maintain PM status for 12 straight years.
Imagine how many miles I would have been able to will to Dovster if I’d received credit for ALL the miles I’ve flown.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by Cholula
Don’t I wish.
Most of my heavy-duty flying was done from 1970-1985. And during those years I’m guessing I flew 3 or 4 million BIS miles. But got credit for few of them until the FF programs kicked in in the early 80’s. I flew tons in the period since 1985 and was able to maintain PM status for 12 straight years.
Imagine how many miles I would have been able to will to Dovster if I’d received credit for ALL the miles I’ve flown.
hahaha, I was wondering when Dovster would be mentioned in this thread.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:52 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk
Original Poster

Do you mean the age of which they act on FlyerTalk or the biological age of the individual. As you know, this can be two different things to consider when answering this quesion.

Actually, I do have a question for Randy Petersen:

What is the age of the youngest registered FlyerTalk member?
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond

The real question is if either of these numbers represent our own ClipperDelta?
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Do you mean the age of which they act on FlyerTalk or the biological age of the individual. As you know, this can be two different things to consider when answering this quesion.
I think the former might be a pretty low number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.